Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
All depends on who's brought in and what the players think of him
Maybe, but we are not going to get a manager with a great reputation and a list of silverware.

We are going to have to gamble again and players will not sit and wait to see how a gamble works out

Oh dear me, you know what I meant

How do I know what you mean? I don't know you, I have never met you, never spoken to you.
I can only respond to what you post.

Going back to my point. Tim Howard aside I wouldn't realistically want to swap any of the other first choice 11.

Maybe, but we are not going to get a manager with a great reputation and a list of silverware.

We are going to have to gamble again and players will not sit and wait to see how a gamble works out

Why would the have to sit and wait? A new man could make a big impact early doors and players could take to him

It's funny your worried that Martinez leaving could see players leave because if he stays and our football continues this way the will leave in droves anyway

The bulk of this thread is a reflection of all that's wrong with football these days. It's just about short-termism. Everyone just wants to buy big name players and then expect to win everything going. What happened to being given time to build a young, exciting squad that's proud to wear Blue?
Call me old-fashioned or short-sighted but I'd much rather watch a supremely talented youngster like Stones trying to play football and make the odd mistake than spend £30M on some foreign mercenary who doesn't give a stuff about my Club. Ditto Barkley. Ditto Galloway. Ditto Browning.
When you don't have oil roubles or shekels then building slowly and doing it by spotting and securing young talent like Foulds, Tarashaj, Holgate, Henen and Rodriguez is the right way. Personally, it still feels like football rather than corporate business. And, for me, Martinez is exactly the right manager to nurture them....yes, we'll play poor some weeks, and yes we'll not be in the Champions League for a while...but, other than a 180 minute sojourn in 2004 when did that last happen in the last 30 or so years? Under the previous manager we shat ourselves in almost every single Europa away game.
We have some fine players here....brought here by a manager who's changing us from an increasingly dull and dour team to a very exciting one. Changing a squad and it's way of playing doesn't happen overnight.

Queue the fume.

Not 100% sure on that. Not that I think Martinez is going anywhere.

But there are managers out there who have won stuff. Maybe not in the English game. But have won stuff and not been relegated.

I'd quite like a manager who has won stuff.

Has anyone ever gave a thought to the fact that this squad might be a big selling point to a potential incoming manager?

I mean if this squad of talent didn't whet the appetite of a new manager, I wouldn't want them. Will this squad still be here in a years time?

Must qualify this by saying I'm fully aware Martinez' is going nowhere, for a good while yet.

The bulk of this thread is a reflection of all that's wrong with football these days. It's just about short-termism. Everyone just wants to buy big name players and then expect to win everything going. What happened to being given time to build a young, exciting squad that's proud to wear Blue?
Call me old-fashioned or short-sighted but I'd much rather watch a supremely talented youngster like Stones trying to play football and make the odd mistake than spend £30M on some foreign mercenary who doesn't give a stuff about my Club. Ditto Barkley. Ditto Galloway. Ditto Browning.
When you don't have oil roubles or shekels then building slowly and doing it by spotting and securing young talent like Foulds, Tarashaj, Holgate, Henen and Rodriguez is the right way. Personally, it still feels like football rather than corporate business. And, for me, Martinez is exactly the right manager to nurture them....yes, we'll play poor some weeks, and yes we'll not be in the Champions League for a while...but, other than a 180 minute sojourn in 2004 when did that last happen in the last 30 or so years? Under the previous manager we shat ourselves in almost every single Europa away game.
We have some fine players here....brought here by a manager who's changing us from an increasingly dull and dour team to a very exciting one. Changing a squad and it's way of playing doesn't happen overnight.

Queue the fume.

You aren't wrong. However we have looked tactically naive and defensively awful for 1 1/2 seasons now.

There are two sides to the game and he needs to educate them to play both.

The fans have been a lot more patient than most clubs would expect. His results stats paint a fairly bleak picture and the way he's talking doesn't inspire confidence.

I'd like him to turn it around. I've got big doubts whether he will.

Why would the have to sit and wait? A new man could make a big impact early doors and players could take to him

It's funny your worried that Martinez leaving could see players leave because if he stays and our football continues this way the will leave in droves anyway
We have played some nice football this season -Alas it stops there the league position tells you what going to happen we are 12th - my brother has just pointed out to me if we do not get a positive winning result in the next two games RM's record is worse that Walter Smiths which bought about his sacking?
I cannot see what the picture would be if we get knocked out of both cups by the weekend????
The pressure would be on RM for sure imo

Has anyone ever gave a thought to the fact that this squad might be a big selling point to a potential incoming manager?

I mean if this squad of talent didn't whet the appetite of a new manager, I wouldn't want them. Will this squad still be here in a years time?

Must qualify this by saying I'm fully away Martinez' is going nowhere, for a good while yet.

There's enough talent in this squad and enough money to pay the type of wages a big name would want. Not that it's the only way to go. There's more than a few managers doing really good things in the PL who aren't classed as big names.

How do I know what you mean? I don't know you, I have never met you, never spoken to you.
I can only respond to what you post.

Going back to my point. Tim Howard aside I wouldn't realistically want to swap any of the other first choice 11.
I would
kompany
Ozil
Sanchez
Auguro
William

I could go on, it proves how people rate this squad higher than it actually is

We have a squad with potential.....

Fans have been patient for a long time now. And it's not about - as has been oddly mooted - that we EXPECT silverware/success on a plate, all that jazz. I don't expect to win every game either, that's ridiculous...but I'll say this, again as a paying punter & fan, what I do expect is to come away from watching the team I've supported for more years than I care to mention having taken some pride from their performance on the pitch...

I very rarely feel that lately.

And so the players are made nervy by the reaction of the crowd eh? Are the crowd made nervy by the reaction and timing of the players? The answer is a resounding yes...wanna know why, because from wherever you're sat you can see it, it's glaring and that's why the backs get up and the grumbling starts.

It....is....blatant.

There is no alternative to his philosophy.

And if professional, experienced footballers are getting the fear playing at their own ground then there are HUGE issues that fall at the feet of somebody else, namely the BOB, there's no getting away from that really...

BTW, did anyone else feel he looked utterly lost for a period on SUNDAY? More apparent when I watched the highlights later on, I genuinely felt he appeared as though he wasn't entirely sure what to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back