Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
April 2015; Europa League; The Blues this season played in 10 matches and progressed to the round of 16. They won roughly £2.25million in award money, plus a later cut of the ‘market pool’ for television rights. Last year, Tottenham Hotspur, like Everton, reached the second knockout stage and earned a total of £4.27m.

The League Cup prize money is modest,

2015/16 Prize money
Round 1 £5,000
Round 2 £7,000
Round 3 £10,000
Round 4 £15,000
Semi-final £25,000
Final Winners/losers £100,000/£50,000

Clubs receive 45% of the gate money after costs with the league taking 10%. TV also plays a part, with Sky paying £75,000 for Live Round 1 to 4 games, £250,000 for the semi-finals and £1 million for the final.

Yeah minus travel etc, lost league placings etc.. it is widely reported that we don't get a lot left over unless you get to the very later stages, dropped league placings, injuries etc.

I'd rather we did well in league and cup personally but it seems that we are all happy to forsake league positions. He got into Europe on the back of a defense that is a shadow of that, we were nowhere near qualifying for Europe through the league last season.. and this season looks a repeat, and its lost revenue, there is no reason we shouldn't be able to get to Europe, reap the rewards then still maintain our push for Europe the next season.

And if the moneys as massive as you seem to think, we should be adding to the squad on the back of it and cementing our status in Europe instead of finishing bottom half.

Not 100% sure on that. Not that I think Martinez is going anywhere.

But there are managers out there who have won stuff. Maybe not in the English game. But have won stuff and not been relegated.

I'd quite like a manager who has won stuff.
A manager that has won in Spain, Germany and Italy I wouldn't argue.
Outside of them 3 countries every other countries are pointless

Neil Lennon won things

We have played some nice football this season -Alas it stops there the league position tells you what going to happen we are 12th - my brother has just pointed out to me if we do not get a positive winning result in the next two games RM's record is worse that Walter Smiths which bought about his sacking?
I cannot see what the picture would be if we get knocked out of both cups by the weekend????
The pressure would be on RM for sure imo

The football has been decent in patches but all to often it's one good half one bad half

How many games this season would you say you've actually enjoyed? Games you've thought "boss that"

Our form and league record is appalling, 4 of the 6 we have won are Villa Sunderland Newcastle and WBA, How anyone could defend such a shambles of a season is baffling

As I said yesterday, A piss easy league cup run has bought him more time than he deserves

The football has been decent in patches but all to often it's one good half one bad half

How many games this season would you say you've actually enjoyed? Games you've thought "boss that"

Our form and league record is appalling, 4 of the 6 we have won are Villa Sunderland Newcastle and WBA, How anyone could defend such a shambles of a season is baffling

As I said yesterday, A piss easy league cup run has bought him more time than he deserves
What if it ends on Wednesday?

You aren't wrong. However we have looked tactically naive and defensively awful for 1 1/2 seasons now.

There are two sides to the game and he needs to educate them to play both.

The fans have been a lot more patient than most clubs would expect. His results stats paint a fairly bleak picture and the way he's talking doesn't inspire confidence.

I'd like him to turn it around. I've got big doubts whether he will.

I had big doubts we'd see attractive and offensive football being played regularly....and that's what we've got. Of course, we need to work on the defensive side now. However, in comparison say with United, who've spent upwards of £265M and become a totally defensive and unwatchable side, I know which I'd rather watch. There's very few teams who have got the balance right....and that's why it's such a strange premier league this season.

Why would the have to sit and wait? A new man could make a big impact early doors and players could take to him

It's funny your worried that Martinez leaving could see players leave because if he stays and our football continues this way the will leave in droves anyway
Not sure if I said I was worried Martinez leaving
If he goes so be it.....
But we spin that roulette wheel again, that is my argument

A manager that has won in Spain, Germany and Italy I wouldn't argue.
Outside of them 3 countries every other countries are pointless

Neil Lennon won things

Bloody true with Lennon.

But take someone like Frank De Boer. I have no idea how good a manager he is. He manages one of the best teams in a crappy-ish league, and has done alright I think, but he also played for winning teams. I think I like the idea of this. Someone who has been at the top, won stuff, either as a player or manager. Preferably both!

He might be crap though. There's always a risk. Martinez was a risk.

Fans have been patient for a long time now. And it's not about - as has been oddly mooted - that we EXPECT silverware/success on a plate, all that jazz. I don't expect to win every game either, that's ridiculous...but I'll say this, again as a paying punter & fan, what I do expect is to come away from watching the team I've supported for more years than I care to mention having taken some pride from their performance on the pitch...

I very rarely feel that lately.

And so the players are made nervy by the reaction of the crowd eh? Are the crowd made nervy by the reaction and timing of the players? The answer is a resounding yes...wanna know why, because from wherever you're sat you can see it, it's glaring and that's why the backs get up and the grumbling starts.

It....is....blatant.

There is no alternative to his philosophy.

And if professional, experienced footballers are getting the fear playing at their own ground then there are HUGE issues that fall at the feet of somebody else, namely the BOB, there's no getting away from that really...

BTW, did anyone else feel he looked utterly lost for a period on SUNDAY? More apparent when I watched the highlights later on, I genuinely felt he appeared as though he wasn't entirely sure what to do...

You haven't been entertained and the players haven't shown pride? I find that hard to understand when you consider the amount of goals we've scored and some of the fabulous attacking play we've witnessed. Some of your post I can't disagree with, but I can't accept they haven't played in the main with pride.

Bloody true with Lennon.

But take someone like Frank De Boer. I have no idea how good a manager he is. He manages one of the best teams in a crappy-ish league, and has done alright I think, but he also played for winning teams. I think I like the idea of this. Someone who has been at the top, won stuff, either as a player or manager. Preferably both!

He might be crap though. There's always a risk. Martinez was a risk.
I think this is my point everybody we go for us a gamble
I think some people think a new manager will make us into a all conquering team

In fairness it might

FFS @Woolly Blue I had a nice big post full of rubbish points written out for Dave, then as I hit Post Reply, you've closed the thread. I can't even find a thread now where it fits that Dave can post. Can he not be made to apologise for his post yesterday, then give him bail, then I'll post my post, then he will ignore it, then you can ban him again?

It's not that much to ask is it?
you and Dave should just get a room. The tension has been killing the rest of us. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back