Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This to me is the biggest question mark. If guys like Rom, Stones, Geri and Barkley would hightail it outta here if he goes this may not be the best option unless we had a suitable replacement, a guy that shares what he wants in attack but understands what we need to do defensively. I fear they really believe he can take them to another level (which includes their pocketbooks), then we may not get another year or two out of them, which would be sad indeed.

An alternative way to look at it is of he stays what do those players think?

Lukaku "well we've finished 12th and <insert finish here> so I don't feel like I can give anymore than i have so it's time for me to leave"

Regardless if Martinez stays I think Stones will be gone if another decent offer comes in.

I don't think Barkleys Everton career is exclusively linked to Martinez being there, Barkley will be here for the long haul imo

Perhaps Del would be devastated but I think as long as he's getting first team games he could cope.

Players come and players go, players go a lot quicker though when a club are doing absolutely crap in the league and show no sign of competing at the top end for those CL places.

The thing is, just a few tweaks that are blatantly obvious to all would have had us up and running in the league this season but he seems incapable of making decisions for the good of the team.

I'd love to see what evidence you have in writing or in video or pictures to demonstrate this statement.

You wouldn't understand it, seriously. See a lot of people like watching football, they enjoy the match but they don't fully understand what is going on. Anyone who thinks Martinez is doing a good job or is faultless in the present form for the last 2 seasons falls into that category.

He is a rubbish manager at a great club with a good squad and he alone he is turning into Wigan.

I'm amazed anybody is still in his corner, he ran out of excuses yesterday for me.

We're in a cup semi final, doesn't happen very often

I also recognise our league position doesn't reflect how well we've played this year or that mistakes like yesterday's are not the manager's fault

Goodison being like a morgue every game doesn't help, nor does abusing the manager or players. God forbid anyone sing a song or wave a flag or banner. That's kopite behaviour, apparently

An alternative way to look at it is of he stays what do those players think?

Lukaku "well we've finished 12th and <insert finish here> so I don't feel like I can give anymore than i have so it's time for me to leave"

Regardless if Martinez stays I think Stones will be gone if another decent offer comes in.

I don't think Barkleys Everton career is exclusively linked to Martinez being there, Barkley will be here for the long haul imo

Perhaps Del would be devastated but I think as long as he's getting first team games he could cope.

Players come and players go, players go a lot quicker though when a club are doing absolutely crap in the league and show no sign of competing at the top end for those CL places.

The thing is, just a few tweaks that are blatantly obvious to all would have had us up and running in the league this season but he seems incapable of making decisions for the good of the team.

Absolutely, i'm by no means married to brown shoes, i'm just saying i'd be interested in what the players think. I agree on Ross that he'll likely be here for the long haul, i'd just rather hope to squeeze out another couple years of the others, and if they'd be inclined to stay with another manager that can give them wins plus continue to play attractive football it's a win/win for all involved.

Martinez has my permission to boot one or two of our players.

Poor attitude breeds poor results.

The manager needs to instill some fear into them if they are not performing.

For me certain players think EFC is a holiday camp. Not a professional football club challenging for titles.

We're in a cup semi final, doesn't happen very often

I also recognise our league position doesn't reflect how well we've played this year or that mistakes like yesterday's are not the manager's fault

Goodison being like a morgue every game doesn't help, nor does abusing the manager or players. God forbid anyone sing a song or wave a flag or banner. That's kopite behaviour, apparently

The semi final is great to be there, but again as I have pointed out several times, any team can have a cup run.

There also comes a time when you realise that it can't all be down to bad luck. Yes some very nice football played, but if it isn't winning you games which is the object of the game, then you have problems.

As for the fans, is it feasible possibly for a load of very well paid footballers to get themselves up for an important game without having to rely on the crowd to do so?

Won't happen no cushions anymore! I seem to remember you hired them at an extra cost!

The secret cushion throwing sect have their own cushions (inflatable ones nowadays I'm told). And you know that the throwing of the sacred cushions herald the winds of change.

The bulk of this thread is a reflection of all that's wrong with football these days. It's just about short-termism. Everyone just wants to buy big name players and then expect to win everything going. What happened to being given time to build a young, exciting squad that's proud to wear Blue?
Call me old-fashioned or short-sighted but I'd much rather watch a supremely talented youngster like Stones trying to play football and make the odd mistake than spend £30M on some foreign mercenary who doesn't give a stuff about my Club. Ditto Barkley. Ditto Galloway. Ditto Browning.
When you don't have oil roubles or shekels then building slowly and doing it by spotting and securing young talent like Foulds, Tarashaj, Holgate, Henen and Rodriguez is the right way. Personally, it still feels like football rather than corporate business. And, for me, Martinez is exactly the right manager to nurture them....yes, we'll play poor some weeks, and yes we'll not be in the Champions League for a while...but, other than a 180 minute sojourn in 2004 when did that last happen in the last 30 or so years? Under the previous manager we shat ourselves in almost every single Europa away game.
We have some fine players here....brought here by a manager who's changing us from an increasingly dull and dour team to a very exciting one. Changing a squad and it's way of playing doesn't happen overnight.

Queue the fume.
You are right but as you said this is football now whether right or wrong. No teams get a chance to build a team over several years now as once you have a superstar they will be picked off by the richer teams. Player power now and there is not a lot a club can do about it now apart from get the best price possible. I can see this happening with Lukaku and Stones this summer and then this would set us back in the rebuilding process and then the cycle starts again. I feel this season was our only chance with this squad and we've messed it up so much. Our only chance to keep this squad intact for next season would be a takeover which I'm not holding out any hope for.
The annoying this is we have a squad now that could have done something very special this season but we have failed badly defensively. This in my opinion is down to the managers tactics and team selection.

Martinez has my permission to boot one or two of our players.

*Poor attitude breeds poor results.

**The manager needs to instill some fear into them if they are not performing.

***For me certain players think EFC is a holiday camp. Not a professional football club challenging for titles.

*It's the managers job to manage the players and in turn their attitudes.

**The manager suggests the crowd have done that for him.

***We're not challenging for titles (retract if you mean cups)...who do you assume thinks it a holiday camp mate?

*It's the managers job to manage the players and in turn their attitudes.

**The manager suggests the crowd have done that for him.

***We're not challenging for titles (retract if you mean cups)...who do you assume thinks it a holiday camp mate?

I'm saying that the manager needs to publicly boot one or two players for their own good.

Boom. Sit on the bench. Type stuff.

Its a holiday camp for players making awful mistakes like we saw yesterday but then getting away with it.

I will be very disappointed if Howard in particular is picked next week in the league. He's done nothing to justify it.

Neither has Stones in my view.

My final comment of the night.

This is Everton Football Club.

Mistakes like we saw yesterday were a complete embarassment and cannot ever be accepted. If necessary (and it appears so) players need to be dropped for it.

Martinez needs to do something about. The balls now in his court.

FFS @Woolly Blue I had a nice big post full of rubbish points written out for Dave, then as I hit Post Reply, you've closed the thread. I can't even find a thread now where it fits that Dave can post. Can he not be made to apologise for his post yesterday, then give him bail, then I'll post my post, then he will ignore it, then you can ban him again?

It's not that much to ask is it?

Has Dave been banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back