Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martinez has my permission to boot one or two of our players.

Poor attitude breeds poor results.

The manager needs to instill some fear into them if they are not performing.

For me certain players think EFC is a holiday camp. Not a professional football club challenging for titles.

Great point. In Martinez's first season everyone at the club was thrilled to see a warm, welcoming man who was personal to everyone. Moyes was very much a hardliner and stern in his approach.

This new found spirit was felt around the ground pre match too with entertainment and fan zone activities adding to the occasion.

Fast forward 2 years and we appear unfocused and laboured. 'Who cares if we lose as he will tell me I am great and my agent will get me a move' attitude.

We appear to have gone too far in the opposite direction now. A balance is needed between pride and desire to win for Everton and to give the fans some up and at em spirit to get behind!

Great point. In Martinez's first season everyone at the club was thrilled to see a warm, welcoming man who was personal to everyone. Moyes was very much a hardliner and stern in his approach.

This new found spirit was felt around the ground pre match too with entertainment and fan zone activities adding to the occasion.

Fast forward 2 years and we appear unfocused and laboured. 'Who cares if we lose as he will tell me I am great and my agent will get me a move' attitude.

We appear to have gone too far in the opposite direction now. A balance is needed between pride and desire to win for Everton and to give the fans some up and at em spirit to get behind!

Totally agree.

Time for the manager to get more steel and discipline into the club.

I honestly hope we go for City in the first 10 minutes, give them something to think about and grab a goal. I wanna see a managerial masterpiece from Roberto to prove to us all he still has what's capable to manage our club. Come on Roberto.

Absolutely, i'm by no means married to brown shoes, i'm just saying i'd be interested in what the players think. I agree on Ross that he'll likely be here for the long haul, i'd just rather hope to squeeze out another couple years of the others, and if they'd be inclined to stay with another manager that can give them wins plus continue to play attractive football it's a win/win for all involved.
I'd give Ross the captaincy to be honest. None of the other older players are any good/good at it. Put some responsibility onto him and all the younger players Roberto keeps eulogizing.

My final comment of the night.

This is Everton Football Club.

Mistakes like we saw yesterday were a complete embarassment and cannot ever be accepted. If necessary (and it appears so) players need to be dropped for it.

Martinez needs to do something about. The balls now in his court.
Pity they aren't where they should be..

An alternative way to look at it is of he stays what do those players think?

Lukaku "well we've finished 12th and <insert finish here> so I don't feel like I can give anymore than i have so it's time for me to leave"

Regardless if Martinez stays I think Stones will be gone if another decent offer comes in.

I don't think Barkleys Everton career is exclusively linked to Martinez being there, Barkley will be here for the long haul imo

Perhaps Del would be devastated but I think as long as he's getting first team games he could cope.

Players come and players go, players go a lot quicker though when a club are doing absolutely crap in the league and show no sign of competing at the top end for those CL places.

The thing is, just a few tweaks that are blatantly obvious to all would have had us up and running in the league this season but he seems incapable of making decisions for the good of the team.

Re those tweaks; any sign of them yet.

There is a school of thought that a guy, say a fullback, is hemmed in with the ball at his own corner flag by 2, 3, 4. players, yet, because he has the ball he is the attacking player - he has the ball and you can only defend without it etc...This is 'The Philosophy' here, thus, what he has to do is 'play it out from the back.'

one tweak would be NOT to play it out from the back when you are defending, but to GET IT OUT.
Then, when you get the ball back, should you concede possession, you are attacking...THEN you play it out from the back...as quick as you like too.

Won't happen no cushions anymore! I seem to remember you hired them at an extra cost!

That was the main reason they got rid of them, they all had to be collected off the pitch.

But we all know the real reason was to stop the obvious public displays of discontent that reflected badly on the board and didn't look good as a photo in the sunday papers.

Who is the better manager Martinez or Klopp?

I would say Martinez.

Klopp looks no great shakes to me.

They conceded four daft goals on Saturday but the pact with Satan ensured they got away with it.

If we think the penalty Howard conceded yesterday was nuts, look at the foul on Naisy for Norwich's penalty :celebrate:

Reading this thread you really can see and sense building murmurs of mutiny in the air if we don't get away from Manchester on Wednesday with a ticket for Wembley and dispose of Carlisle comfortably next weekend.

I hope and actually believe we will achieve both and hopefully he will at along last either stop talking about style or get someone in to help him with the defence.

It would be interesting in an alternative reality where there was an internet in that time to see what this forum would have been like in late 1983 before things took off under Howard Kendall! It felt different yesterday compared to some of the other set backs this season. The atmosphere seemed really flat at Goodison yesterday and Roberto seemed a lot more downbeat than usual in the post match interview. But i will go back to that in a minute. Some of you are saying that were a cup team now as an excuse for being in a crappy mid table position. That the league doesn't matter. Well to be honest i think such talk is a load of horsesh!t. We are Everton FC we compete to win trophies and do as well as we can in the league. So no i don't except that as a reason to be happy enough with mediocre mid table league positions. But back to yesterday it really makes Wednesday night even more important. I think Wednesday night at the Etihad could be our generations Howard Kendall flinging the dressing room windows open/Kevin Brock backpass moment. Then after that we have the hapless Geordies coming to town. So while a lot of us are pretty downbeat right now perhaps the whole thing might take off in the next few days in a similar manner to the way Howard Kendalls great team took off as soon as 1984 dawned.

Reactions: rbm
Martinez has a nice philosophy I'll give him that. The football at times is really good. It's a lack of everything else that is the problem and his philosophy of not punishing mistakes. A mistake should be just that, a one time thing, not a habit. Its kind of frustrating that it's carried on for one or two seasons long now. Bobby - play some more experienced heads! It's a bit too inexperienced to get us any results in the prem.

Secondly the other thread about the next manager got locked but if Martinez ends up getting the sack at the end of the season (I doubt it though), here's my wishlist of managers.

Here's a list of currently available managers - http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik

1. Jose Mourinho - Every manager has weaknesses and Jose's style may not jive with everyone, but he gets results. If he doesn't get the Man U job, maybe there's an off chance he'll take the Everton job. Unlikely but one can dream a little.
2. Manual Pelligrini - If he loses his job and wants to stay in the prem, the Everton job wouldn't be a bad one to take.
3. Harry Redknapp - Let's get melty face in, if only because he is a very very good man manager. His age makes me consider whether he could do the job or not.
4. Guus Hiddink - If Chelsea get somebody else in after this season, Guus may be free to go to another club. He'd be a decent manager to get short term. But he doesn't strike me as someone who buys and sells well as he's managed national teams more than domestic ones.
5. Eddie Howe - If Bournemouth somehow get relegated (I don't think they will), Howe will get a number of offers to manage an EPL club. Everton fan since childhood, I could see it happening and good to get a young manager in.

Honourable mention - Julen Lopetegui at Porto just got relieved of his duties. I prefer a manager with EPL experience but he's got a decent win/loss ratio 68% W53/D15/L9. Could do worse than an ex-Porto manager. He used to be a goalkeeper though, then again some managers never played the game, so don't think it matters as long as the guy gets results!

Reactions: rbm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back