Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is down to the status of this football club. Would Martinez be able to attract Rom if he manages Wigan even he has the money? We all know the answer is no.
Spot on. All this "players only come here because of Martinez" is nonsense. The attraction is a big club, solid support, at or around top six for more than a decade with potential to develop.
All this means far more than a manager with a philosophy that is not producing results.

It would be interesting in an alternative reality where there was an internet in that time to see what this forum would have been like in late 1983 before things took off under Howard Kendall! It felt different yesterday compared to some of the other set backs this season. The atmosphere seemed really flat at Goodison yesterday and Roberto seemed a lot more downbeat than usual in the post match interview. But i will go back to that in a minute. Some of you are saying that were a cup team now as an excuse for being in a crappy mid table position. That the league doesn't matter. Well to be honest i think such talk is a load of horsesh!t. We are Everton FC we compete to win trophies and do as well as we can in the league. So no i don't except that as a reason to be happy enough with mediocre mid table league positions. But back to yesterday it really makes Wednesday night even more important. I think Wednesday night at the Etihad could be our generations Howard Kendall flinging the dressing room windows open/Kevin Brock backpass moment. Then after that we have the hapless Geordies coming to town. So while a lot of us are pretty downbeat right now perhaps the whole thing might take off in the next few days in a similar manner to the way Howard Kendalls great team took off as soon as 1984 dawned.
I see what you've done there

And come end of March we'll match the Champions in the final of the copa de Mickey mouse only to be ripped off by a clear handball by sahko in the penalty area and go to a replay and lose to THEM in another final....

But we'll win a few more league games get to THE cup final and beat Watford 2-0

And next season we'll piss all over everyone and do the league and europa league double....

Ahhhh how romantic ;)

Just posted this in the John Stones thread, but probably better suited here...

For me, it's time for the Everton board to get off the pot and p155... El Bob has a terrific squad that has morphed/is rapidly morphing into Wigan under his managership.

If it's a choice between JS/RB and RL and maybe SC as well staying and the manager going, then the club better act decisively and fast, cos come the summer, you can bet ya boots that their agents will be having them away to sunnier or at least much better paid climes than we can provide.?

There are some very high profile and eminently qualified managers currently or very, very soon to be available and people may well suggest it's pie-in-the-sky to suggest Mourinho or Gaurdiola, but for heavens sake why can't/shouldn't Everton approach them?

The contact should be along the lines of... "Anyone can spend gazillions at Man City, Chelski or Man U, why not take control of our talented squad and really, really, really prove what a top drawer coach/manager you are. Win the Premiership with Everton on the best budget we can afford and in the face of that level of financial competition and you'll achieve footballing immortality.

Well Jose/Pep... Have you got the balls for a challenge like that rather than the cosy, comfy cheque-book managership you'll be offered at those other clubs ??"

Just posted this in the John Stones thread, but probably better suited here...

For me, it's time for the Everton board to get off the pot and p155... El Bob has a terrific squad that has morphed/is rapidly morphing into Wigan under his managership.

If it's a choice between JS/RB and RL and maybe SC as well staying and the manager going, then the club better act decisively and fast, cos come the summer, you can bet ya boots that their agents will be having them away to sunnier or at least much better paid climes than we can provide.?

There are some very high profile and eminently qualified managers currently or very, very soon to be available and people may well suggest it's pie-in-the-sky to suggest Mourinho or Gaurdiola, but for heavens sake why can't/shouldn't Everton approach them?

The contact should be along the lines of... "Anyone can spend gazillions at Man City, Chelski or Man U, why not take control of our talented squad and really, really, really prove what a top drawer coach/manager you are. Win the Premiership with Everton on the best budget we can afford and in the face of that level of financial competition and you'll achieve footballing immortality.

Well Jose/Pep... Have you got the balls for a challenge like that rather than the cosy, comfy cheque-book managership you'll be offered at those other clubs ??"

if we offered the job to Mourinho, with the squad we have - and gave him 50m to invest and a free reign on all transfer dealings he'd take it, the man is hurt atm, but he has a huge ego and a point to prove and could actually see him going for that. Won't ever happen for a multitude of reasons mind you but not as far fetched a suggestion as it first seems.

Mourinho isn't stupid he'd look at this league and realise that it isn't that good and with the squad we have plus strengthening he could actually far out perform all media expectations with it and at the end of the day would be considered a genius if he did so

if we offered the job to Mourinho, with the squad we have - and gave him 50m to invest and a free reign on all transfer dealings he'd take it, the man is hurt atm, but he has a huge ego and a point to prove and could actually see him going for that. Won't ever happen for a multitude of reasons mind you but not as far fetched a suggestion as it first seems.

Mourinho isn't stupid he'd look at this league and realise that it isn't that good and with the squad we have plus strengthening he could actually far out perform all media expectations with it and at the end of the day would be considered a genius if he did so

You know what mate, i thought about Mourinho. A lot of people say he only delivers at Clubs with an open cheque book, imagine if he bucked the trend and seen an opportunity at Everton to further enhance his rep. Think Stones & Rom will still go, but promise him 100% of the funds which id he disappointed if it wasnt £100m. His name alone will pull players to Everton.

We dont even have the ambition to ask the bloke, but its an interesting shout.

My only worry would be is his reluctance to use Youth, which we've got an awful lot of talented young players in the first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back