Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly lessons continue to not be learnt. Over the last 18 months the deficiencies in the team, and how to rectify them, have been obvious. These were even highlighted by Martinez last summer, he came out and said a goalkeeper, creative midfielder, striker and centre half were required. We picked up one of these in the transfer window.

Without external solutions there were still answers to some of our problems within the squad. Robles has not been on a losing Everton side for 12 games, yet Martinez refuses to play him in the league. Barry clearly requires rotation (a point made by Martinez himself last season) but he has been played every game. We required more creativity from central midfield but McCarthy has played when fit with Barry. Besic, Mirallas, Gibson, Lennon, Naismith all unfairly sidelined at certain points to accommodate players like Kone or Cleverley playing out of position. Unfit players such as Baines and McCarthy have come straight back into the team over decent performers like Galloway and Cleverley.

Martinez is not learning. Over 2 and a half seasons in and we still cannot balance attack and defence. He still refuses to recognise the goalkeeping issue. He still refuses to select a balanced midfield pairing. Regardless of my opinion on Martinez, he is creating his own issues here which are now being reflected in the league table. The great shame is that at times he seems so close to turning the corner only to purposefully crash the car just before.

Some good points in there.

*His tactical acumen got WIGAN relegated. He didn't feel he was the man to bring them back up.
*He point blank refuses to compromise on his 'style' (see any number of WIGAN interviews).
*His refusal to adapt defensively is utterly soul destroying. Give HOWARD as much shiz as you want, the manager picks him.
*The neutrals love watching us because it's a predictable, occasionally fancy mess. #theEntertainers.... Pfffff, not even funny that.
*The players are practically TELLING US that the management is lacking in areas.
*The STATS & TABLE don't lie
*I'm 99.9% certain there will be no takeover in the near future
*He has just sold NAISMITH. He has indicated that he doesn't envisage any signings this window. (Should be fun if ROM gets a knock...)
*In all likelihood he will say a covering striker isn't a priority as RODRIGUEZ is 'nearing the 1st team'
*There are times when I look at him and genuinely feel that there is NOTHING left, that we have seen ALL he has management-wise already.
*He's running out of things to blame

Yet with this board in situ he is almost certainly safe as there is no real pressure from them as he's expected to achieve little save avoid relegation.

And I desperately...DESPERATELY want a result WEDNESDAY.

Yet I'm filled with utter, absolute dread at the prospect of that game.

Grim innit.

I am a supporter of Martinez, have been since day 1 and remain so but but but but.....

He really does NEED to do something about what has now become a countrywide joke. We simply cannot defend and cannot hold a lead.

I get the impression today V Swansea may prove a watershed moment. The fans are now getting edgy and really don't want to hear anymore excuses or guff.

We have to qualify for the League Cup final and we have to beat Carlisle. Failure to do both will see real unease and real sense of possibilities wasted.

Listen, learn and get a grip Robbie. It's starting to slip away.

I am a supporter of Martinez, have been since day 1 and remain so but but but but.....

He really does NEED to do something about what has now become a countrywide joke. We simply cannot defend and cannot hold a lead.

I get the impression today V Swansea may prove a watershed moment. The fans are now getting edgy and really don't want to hear anymore excuses or guff.

We have to qualify for the League Cup final and we have to beat Carlisle. Failure to do both will see real unease and real sense of possibilities wasted.

Listen, learn and get a grip Robbie. It's starting to slip away.

Just like Hull/Stoke last season... The board have no ambition, Martinez fanboys have no ambition, Martinez has the safest job in football as a result...

Since start of 2014/15 season until now Martinez win percentage in the League has been 29%. Tim Sherwood's was 35% at Villa.
There's absolutely no logical reasoning, apart from the Cup semi, in keeping the Manager right now. No statistic anyone will quote will support him over his 3 seasons here in total.
Too much going on though in the background at Everton right now for the Manager's position to be an issue unless we are in a relegation fight.
So we should all just move on..

The tide seems to be turning with the press and the pundits after today. He has been universally ripped by all of them for his tactics and inability to change and manage games. He may allude to the fact that the fans are fickle, but the press will be much much worse on him if he can't turn things around and we end up in free fall. Some of them are starting to compare us with his Wigan teams and the fact that he keeps on trotting out the same old same old after every game.

He's in danger of becoming the Premier Leagues equivalent of David Brent.

I was going to post a massive fume, but I just can't be arsed.

Goodnight x

The clock must be ticking on him now. If you want entertaining you can watch any number of youtube videos with 'fail' in the title. We want results. I have been a Martinez supporter but I'm now coming to the conclusion that he is not good enough. If we take off our blue coloured glasses it may also be that some of our stars - mighty Rom exempted - are not the world class players we, or they, have supposed.

The tide seems to be turning with the press and the pundits after today. He has been universally ripped by all of them for his tactics and inability to change and manage games. He may allude to the fact that the fans are fickle, but the press will be much much worse on him if he can't turn things around and we end up in free fall. Some of them are starting to compare us with his Wigan teams and the fact that he keeps on trotting out the same old same old after every game.

He's in danger of becoming the Premier Leagues equivalent of David Brent.

I was going to post a massive fume, but I just can't be arsed.

Goodnight x
He's simply not good enough I said it last season and nothing's changed to make me think any different now. He should go now,seems like a nice bloke but he's not right for us, I've had enough of him. Replace him With Michael laudrup, he got Swansea playing nice football and he also has a lot of connections in Europe.

Reactions: rbm

They are having a bad season, we have had 2 on the bounce.

My whole point was originally that villa got to a cup final last season, and cups in general are a yardstick for nothing, because some people on here are clinging to it as though it's some amazing achievement to get to the semi of a cup.

The league is your bread and butter, regardless of what goes on in either cup Martinez just can not manage a team over a league season at this level. The cup run has taken some focus away from just how bad we really are, if we can win it and stay up happy days, but lets not forget over the last 15 years some totally useless managers have also won the league cup, includes the likes of Alex McLeish, Juande Ramos, Steve McClaren and Graeme Souness.

If we get to that final on Wednesday i can't see us sacking him now, but i am also really worried if we do go out at city focus will just shift to Carlisle and progress there.

Reading this thread you really can see and sense building murmurs of mutiny in the air if we don't get away from Manchester on Wednesday with a ticket for Wembley and dispose of Carlisle comfortably next weekend.

I hope and actually believe we will achieve both and hopefully he will at along last either stop talking about style or get someone in to help him with the defence.

Reading this thread you really can see and sense building murmurs of mutiny in the air if we don't get away from Manchester on Wednesday with a ticket for Wembley and dispose of Carlisle comfortably next weekend.

I hope and actually believe we will achieve both and hopefully he will at along last either stop talking about style or get someone in to help him with the defence.
Martinez's managerial hero is Cruyff who worked a lot on attack and wasn't too bothered about defense. He should however be taking a leaf out of another Cruyff fan Guardiola. He wanted to score goals but he also hated concededing goals and developed innovative ways to do this.

In his 4 seasons as Barceloana manager his team conceded 35,24,21 & 29 goals in the league. So it's possible to play with style and have a good defence but you've got to work hard on it. So this stuff that Martinez's talks about winning in style as though it's an excuse for conceding goals at an alarming rate is just rubbish.

Martinez's managerial hero is Cruyff who worked a lot on attack and wasn't too bothered about defense. He should however be taking a leaf out of another Cruyff fan Guardiola. He wanted to score goals but he also hated concededing goals and developed innovative ways to do this.

In his 4 seasons as Barceloana manager his team conceded 35,24,21 & 29 goals in the league. So it's possible to play with style and have a good defence but you've got to work hard on it. So this stuff that Martinez's talks about winning in style as though it's an excuse for conceding goals at an alarming rate is just rubbish.

Absolutely right.

Style minus winning in sport is nothing.

Everton FC exists to compete for trophies not style points.

We all remember the grace of Alex Young gliding along or of Colin Harvey's passes but who would remember those without the trophies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back