Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference there though is that we're not really looking like winning football matches at the minute. If we were I'd agree with you.

How can you say we don't look like winning???

Up until a calamitous ref call we were winning the Chelsea game after it should have already finished!

We created some really good chances against City, and would have beat Spurs if not for a wonder save from Lloris. Yes we rode our luck at times but so what?

If not for a Howard cock up and another awful ref decision we'd have beat Stoke...

And, on a different day, Coleman would have slotted both those chances.

We do definitely look capable of winning games.

You didn't think we looked like winning a game that we were 3-2 up with 97 minutes played?

We haven't been winning games but saying we haven't looked like we would is a little weird.

Spot on. If the linesman and ref had done their job we'd be above Palace - who supposedly have had a stormer this season - and three behind 7th.

Heck, if Norwich had held on, Liverpool would only be 3 ahead of us anyway.

I know it's ifs and buts, but we are definitely capable of stringing a run together.

How can you say we don't look like winning???

Up until a calamitous ref call we were winning the Chelsea game after it should have already finished!

We created some really good chances against City, and would have beat Spurs if not for a wonder save from Lloris. Yes we rode our luck at times but so what?

If not for a Howard cock up and another awful ref decision we'd have beat Stoke...

And, on a different day, Coleman would have slotted both those chances.

We do definitely look capable of winning games.

I bet you love Martinez press conferences mate.

You didn't think we looked like winning a game that we were 3-2 up with 97 minutes played?

We haven't been winning games but saying we haven't looked like we would is a little weird.

So when we were 2-0 and then it came back to 2-2 you felt like we were going to win?

You can pick any minute of any game you want to support your point, as can I, but the fact of the matter is we last won on Boxing day, and before that in November. We won't win a league game in Jan, so yes I think it's fair to say we don't look like winning in the league at the minute,

We've certainly been scoring enough goals to win games

The problem has been at the other end

I don't get it either. I think a big flaw in Martinez's tactics is that we step off opposing players and give them too much space, but that alone wouldn't explain our wretched league form

Spot on. If the linesman and ref had done their job we'd be above Palace - who supposedly have had a stormer this season - and three behind 7th.

Heck, if Norwich had held on, Liverpool would only be 3 ahead of us anyway.

I know it's ifs and buts, but we are definitely capable of stringing a run together.

We look like a team capable of going on a run and we also look like a team capable of having our heads drop and losing a bunch.

I think top 4 and relegation won't happen but i wouldn't be surprised by anywhere from 6th to 15th.

I bet you love Martinez press conferences mate.

And I bet you hate them...

Look, I've said repeatedly I feel he's got things wrong, and he definitely needs to take responsibility for our situation.

But i'm not all doom and gloom. I want us to do better, but I can also see that we are on the verge of something special (even this season, still).

Palace, Watford, even West Ham who played well vs City, are all starting to drop off. Sotton have now started to pick up results, and I reckon they'll go on a run. We're equally as capable of doing it

Where did leicester finish last year?

The problem with the league is the be and end all thought patterns is it assumes the league is much more static than it is.

The last time we won a cup and came 15th, we finish 6th the next year. The last time we finished both 4th and 5th, we came 11th the year after.

Coming bottom half could be a sign of a decline but it could equally just be a bad season. Coming 4th could be the sign of a club on the rise or just a good season.

It's silverware that gets rememebr in hsitory.
I' trying to make it clear that I don't think the league is the be all and all, just that I don't believe finishing near the bottom of it is good enough, regardless of whether you win a cup.

In mentioning Leicester, you go some way to proving my point. They ended last season superbly, showing very clearly that they were improving. It was also their first season back, so was a stepping stone. If we were to finish lower than 11th it would mean that we were not ending the season well, and were clearly regressing after finishing top 6 for 2 years & then 11th. It's also fair to say the league is relatively static in normal terms. Hence Leicesters rise and Chelsea's fall making virtually all of the headlines.

We look like a team capable of going on a run and we also look like a team capable of having our heads drop and losing a bunch.

I think top 4 and relegation won't happen but i wouldn't be surprised by anywhere from 6th to 15th.

I'm with you mate. And I'm on the fence with it as, like you said, we're capable of both.

I think it would do everyone a favour if we all just started to take it one game at a time. Let's stop looking ahead, with expectations of how many points we'll get from so many games etc. It's Everton and it never works out how you think it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back