Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is right to think that going there tonight and defending our lead wouldn't work. Largely because we can't defend.

Think we'll need 2 goals tonight to get through to be honest but there's no reason why we can't do that.

No problem with his philosophy but there are various ways to win games. He needs to realise that you need to earn the right to play the type of football he wants, nobody is going to stand there and admire us. We seem to want to play the pretty football without getting our kits dirty.

Whereas we often stand and admire the opposition. Swansea and Spurs couldn't believe their luck first half against us I imagine.

Said it time and time again; if you don't concede then you can't lose a game. That provides a sound foundation to then go and win games.

Now I'm certainly not suggesting that we simply adopt an approach like Big Sam or Pulis, but assured defensive work makes winning easier.

I actually believe him that his philosophy is to win games, however unfortunately we're conceding the same amount (or more) than we're scoring.

Therefore it's quite clearly not working: all the goals we're scoring are being nullified. So maybe he needs to adjust and adapt his approach!

It may not be more exciting and flamboyant throughout, especially for the neutral, but a dodged 1-0 victory is better than a 3-3 draw or a loss.

It's like people who say they don't mean to get into trouble but somehow consistently do... maybe your approach to life simply isn't working.

Its true that Bill is prepared to give managers a good length of time, but this could be considered to be a good thing. I think if the club is sold, as is being suggested, Martinez would find himself under more pressure to complete his 'project' quickly.In some ways Martinez started from the same point as Hughes did at Stoke...a strong defence but boringly dull football especially in attack. Some may say that Stoke have got further than Everton, but its not entirely reflected in league position etc.
no what stoke have done is essentially backted the manager by making sure he signed the players he wanted. turns out with the bedrock of pulis stoke which hughues didn't change too much it has allowed them to kick on. The likes of bojan and allefey look really good for them. The contrast is, they are no better than del or kev so its hard to even say they are better than us, becaue on paper that just isn't true. It's down to the managers and hughes given some good play aquisitions and time and space has proven himself to be good at that level again.

But yeah, the time issue is not a bad thing when there is clear progression. In our case it is on a knife edge, a cup win would prove to be progression and therefore worthy of backing for a longer period, but league wise it doesn't look overly too good for us. It is whether this will carry on for another season or finally be reversed and we kick on, but then the problem with signing players like lukaku is that you have to gamble on them in the short term, otherwise you lose them to the clubs who are at the level you are hoping to get to. My other wirry is that martinez is managing us like wigan in the sense of having a academy conveyor belt rather than using that as a bonus, sell his best players when he has to, only when he has to, but replace them from the academy and go from there, which over the long term may work, but not if the results aren't changing in the short.

Winning games and clean sheets go very much hand in hand tbh. We are giving ourselves mountains to climb every game.

take the palace game. We battered them over 90 minutes, but when we actually scored past them, it was simply to get a point rather than to beat them. This is fundamentally the problem, we all know these goals are coming no matter how well we are playing, even the stoke game, 3-1 with 15 minutes to go, at home and you should be already looking forward to your post match pint, not worry you are crying into it instead.

:) Brilliant ! I was ill most of last year, and I'm older than Bill, and in some ways I'm in the same business as him, but I always stood in the Paddock, and was never in Corrie. Ah well !!( I do have an entry in Imdb.com, though!...but you won't find it under Steve Wigan!! (cue daft jokes from the usual suspects!!!)

Steve I'm only joking mate!

I still believe in RM. Last season Distin was such a complete liability that he cost us at least 15 points on his own (where is the video where that lad pointed out that 14 out of the first 20 goals we conceded that season were his fault) He was so bad. This year Howard is almost as bad. Complete liabilities, not scapegoats.
Yes, we would like to be more solid, and we need to work on game management and hold onto leads. Moyes was good at this, however we had little or no attacking threat under Moyes and every team knew how to defend against us. Under RM teams are genuinley afraid of our attacking threat.

We all agree that we would love a combination of RM and Moyes, however for RM to make us more solid and improve his game management to win more points, is much more achievable that Moyes ever having a team that had a varied and constant attacking threat that all teams feared. Don't forget that Moyes (after 11 games at Anfield) said he believed he finally had a team that could win at Old Trafford. That man went into 11 anfield derbys not believing we could win. RM believes we can win every game.

BW I admire even your 1% optimism, but as it's over a year now since we've won two league games on the bounce I wouldn't get too excited just yet!

Shocking stat that, was never that bad under Smith, even back then i am sure we beat Arsenal and Chelsea in back to back home wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back