Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tony Pulis is the man for you then ;)

In all seriousness, we all want the results to improve. The fact is they have been, bar one or two set backs, since the new year, as has the general defending while we are still looking to match that up with clinical attacking (and we're getting there).

yet your still saying they haven't improved/things haven't changed at all. They quite obviously have.
Finished 11th last season. 11th this season after 27 games. I must be missing the obvious bit.

@ianefc has consistently said he would shut up completely if results improved to what they should be given the quality of the squad (amongst all the slapping of backs we're still in the bottom half). I don't really care who the manager is if he's delivering good results. People making out that there's a large group of Evertonians who want Everton to lose to be proven right about Martinez is bizarre. All Martinez has to do is keep winning and everyone will be happy. If he records successive bottom half finishes though some fans won't be. Certain posters see that as self entitlement, others as ambition.

I personally care solely only about results. I could not care less if Martinez was fired tomorrow and would not care if he was here for ten years if the results were good.

(As a side note I am now enjoying a certain irony of posters who have lectured on about the importance of being patient with young players making mistakes as we are building a team around them, to now be applauding the manager for dropping Stones and Deulofeu for Jags and Lennon because the results have improved.)

Probably because it's good management and the correct decision. He had great patience with Stones, but the time came for him to be taken out for his own good for a while. Anyone with eyes can see that.

Finished 11th last season. 11th this season after 27 games. I must be missing the obvious bit.

yeh - the bit where I said 'since the new year' right above it, mate...

I'm not bringing last season into the equation. As I always say, I don't care about last season, as it's been and gone. We've shown obvious improvement in our attacking play in terms of we're not crabs anymore and this season has seen us play some really good stuff. Unfortunatley, down to a combination of players and manager (IMO, mainly players when it comes to putting away the bag fulls of chances they manage to create in certain games playing in this manager's system...) we haven't got over the line/turned the draws into wins etc.

Where am I saying things haven't improved? I've just said in the post you've quoted that the selection of Lennon and Oviedo has improved results, so has the selection of Robles. Since the new year league results read W3, D3, L2 which is 12 points out of 8 games which is decent mid table form. We've improved yes, but now we need to translate that into a better league position.

Sound, we agree then.

On the bolded bit, bar the WBA and Swansea games, which we should have won and failed to do so (in the Swansea game due to an awful miss by Coleman which cost us a point), we have played well in the league/the results have been better since the turn of the year - like you said.

We were robbed vs Chelsea. I don't care what excuses are made the officials cost us a vital two points which may have given us the confidence to go on and then hammer Swansea (albeit it may not). It's not like it's something that was in our control like the missed chances or sloppy defending.

That also isn't balanced out by the fortunate penalty decision against City as we have had loads of very clear penalties not awarded to us and a penalty is also not a guaranteed goal...

So, those two points would have seen us on 40 points right now, in ninth place.

As it is, we're 11th on 38 points. But that is only due to the other teams around us winning. We're doing all we can at the moment to translate that into better league positions, but we can only control the results of the teams around us when we play against them, obviously.

We've got West Ham Saturday which is a huge game - not that they're strictly 'around' us. They'll be full of confidence and will come to Goodison to play, meaning I imagine it may be a fairly open game. We basically need to get the balance right like we did against Spurs in the second half in early January. Solid at the back and lots of pace and power up top in our attacking play.

After that, we have a run of games after the Arsenal game against United, Watford and Sotton - who may all be around us as well.

Long way to go obviously but all we have to do is, as you've said, keep winning games and take it game by game and not get ahead of ourselves. I think we've shown enough to show we're capable of it.

Bet most of those wanting Martinez out dave were lads who didn't want him in the first place, so they were never going to give him a fair crack of the whip in the first place.

Not sure about that mate, I think a lot had seen Wigan beat us at Goodison, seen them win the cup and we're happy but they hadn't seen the full picture of his management that has now come to light.

Sad to see the plotters hating Martinez more than they like Everton.

Their majority demographic is twenty something wools who need to stick to Rugby League or Pokemon, the cringey Geordies.
Aye, poor lads with tunnel vision, can't see the bigger picture. The place is buzzing about bringing through a whole generation of Berto's Boys together who are all destined for the top, hopefully for us if we can keep hold of them. It's how you build teams the right way as has been showed many times.

Too many in our support have no attention span, demand different people get sacked each week, and questionable and expensive short term fixes put in place for things that aren't broken in the first place. It's just embarrassing. I just hope that when they grow up, move out of their Parents place, hell.. perhaps even one day find a girl/bloke/sheep (*delete as applicable), they will start to understand football and take some pride in their Club.

Does my head in Martinez, wish he could get back to season 1 ways. I think it would be a shame if he can't because I like the way he has embraced the club as a whole and oversees it top to bottom, not many managers do that and it isn't something to be sniffed at.

He just needs to find consistency on the field, which is number one priority at the end of the day. I think the club will benefit from his work for years to come even if he's sacked. Or have I completely got him wrong.

Aye, poor lads with tunnel vision, can't see the bigger picture. The place is buzzing about bringing through a whole generation of Berto's Boys together who are all destined for the top, hopefully for us if we can keep hold of them. It's how you build teams the right way as has been showed many times.

Too many in our support have no attention span, demand different people get sacked each week, and questionable and expensive short term fixes put in place for things that aren't broken in the first place. It's just embarrassing. I just hope that when they grow up, move out of their Parents place, hell.. perhaps even one day find a girl/bloke/sheep (*delete as applicable), they will start to understand football and take some pride in their Club.
Berto's Boys ? You sure with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back