Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://thesefootballtimes.co/2016/0...odgers-the-flawed-disciples-of-pep-guardiola/

For some associated with the Goodison Park club, if Ahab’s monomania in Moby [Poor language removed] centres on the pursuit of a whale, then the Everton manager’s own weakness is most definitely the seemingly endless attempt at replicating Guardiola’s Barcelona model.

“Barcelona is probably the closest football club to my hometown [of Balaguer in Catalonia]. I always follow that club,” admitted Martínez in an interview with The Guardian back in 2009.

“I’ve met Pep a couple of times, he’s a very impressive man, he knows exactly what he wants and he’s worked extremely hard for it. He’s a great example not only for me but also for many chairmen to take the harder decisions.”

It’s clear that the man from Balaguer stringently follows Barça’s system. He’s obstinate in his belief of passing football’s merits and sees it as his duty to hone the technical side of players’ games. His is a style of play that gave Swansea and Wigan a crucial edge in their promotion battles and helped the latter win the FA Cup in 2013, but Martínez’s success in leading unfancied Wigan to cup glory was tempered by relegation in the very same season.

Earlier this year, the Liverpool Echo published an overview of his two-and-a-half year tenure at Everton. Martínez’s Premier League results at Wigan and Everton were juxtaposed and compared with those of Tony Pulis.

“Martínez’s tally now stands at played 254, won 70, drawn 74 and lost 101 while Pulis is played 272, won 87, drawn 79 and lost 106,” the Merseyside paper wrote.

“This equates at Martínez: won 31%, drawn 29% and lost 40% with an average of 1.22 points per game; Pulis: won 32%, drawn 29% and lost 39% with an average of 1.25 points per game.”

It’s a record that adds fuel to the fire as far as his critics are concerned. Proof, they would say, of his inability to turn style into substance and forge a successful long-term career at the top of the game.

http://thesefootballtimes.co/2016/0...odgers-the-flawed-disciples-of-pep-guardiola/

For some associated with the Goodison Park club, if Ahab’s monomania in Moby [Poor language removed] centres on the pursuit of a whale, then the Everton manager’s own weakness is most definitely the seemingly endless attempt at replicating Guardiola’s Barcelona model.

“Barcelona is probably the closest football club to my hometown [of Balaguer in Catalonia]. I always follow that club,” admitted Martínez in an interview with The Guardian back in 2009.

“I’ve met Pep a couple of times, he’s a very impressive man, he knows exactly what he wants and he’s worked extremely hard for it. He’s a great example not only for me but also for many chairmen to take the harder decisions.”

It’s clear that the man from Balaguer stringently follows Barça’s system. He’s obstinate in his belief of passing football’s merits and sees it as his duty to hone the technical side of players’ games. His is a style of play that gave Swansea and Wigan a crucial edge in their promotion battles and helped the latter win the FA Cup in 2013, but Martínez’s success in leading unfancied Wigan to cup glory was tempered by relegation in the very same season.

Earlier this year, the Liverpool Echo published an overview of his two-and-a-half year tenure at Everton. Martínez’s Premier League results at Wigan and Everton were juxtaposed and compared with those of Tony Pulis.

“Martínez’s tally now stands at played 254, won 70, drawn 74 and lost 101 while Pulis is played 272, won 87, drawn 79 and lost 106,” the Merseyside paper wrote.

“This equates at Martínez: won 31%, drawn 29% and lost 40% with an average of 1.22 points per game; Pulis: won 32%, drawn 29% and lost 39% with an average of 1.25 points per game.”

It’s a record that adds fuel to the fire as far as his critics are concerned. Proof, they would say, of his inability to turn style into substance and forge a successful long-term career at the top of the game.
Lcn0yF1RcLANG.gif

tumblr_loz095R82Z1r0zbwoo1_500.gif

Up to now ...All competitions this season.

P 36 W17 D11 L 8

Goals for 69 Goals agst 45

With some woeful refereeing decisions & bad defending/goalkeeping against us hopefully in the past we could be in a very good position .

But what abar dem last 5 games and der joint cup record?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back