Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're using our home record to defend Roberto????

Eh?

I think you've totally miss-understood my post?

I was talking about how, at home, our good results have come from playing in a similar way to how we do away from home - e.g. luring the opposition out to exploit the gaps.

We didn't have to do that vs Villa and N'Castle particularly (though actually at times against N'castle we did) as they were pretty dreadful and we played some nice stuff to carve them open with ease.

I can see enough improvement in results and resilience in defence to be happy with Martinez, but I would never call anything less than reaching a final a success, it isn't.
Finishing less than 6th in a league where Leicester lead it, with Tottenham second is also a failure (for a lot of clubs). Not saying that's what the board would think but it's what I personally feel. I've always stated I like Martinez and would love him to do well here.
(Don't know why I keep looking at this thread)

Eh?

I think you've totally miss-understood my post?

I was talking about how, at home, our good results have come from playing in a similar way to how we do away from home - e.g. luring the opposition out to exploit the gaps.

We didn't have to do that vs Villa and N'Castle particularly (though actually at times against N'castle we did) as they were pretty dreadful and we played some nice stuff to carve them open with ease.

At home our good results have come when playing the bottom three teams in the league and an uncharacteristically poor Chelsea team.

That suggests 5th was ever good enough. It wasn't.

We've competed very well across three competitions and scored 69 goals.

This is called 'progress'.

Progress from what, last season when we were crap ?

In 2012 under Moyes we got to the semi finals of the FA Cup and finished 7th. I'd be interested to see what you were saying about that season at the end of it, seeing as that looks like the kind of achievement we're going to have at the end of this one.

Scoring lots of goals means little if you are finishing lower in the league and still winning nothing.

We also played decent football in that season with Moyes and crucially it was a pretty enjoyable experience going to home games. This season doing that has been awful, no matter what is said about our football.

Being where we are is not progress. Winning things and getting into Europe is, because that was the next step up from where Moyes left us.

I can see enough improvement in results and resilience in defence to be happy with Martinez, but I would never call anything less than reaching a final a success, it isn't.
Finishing less than 6th in a league where Leicester lead it, with Tottenham second is also a failure (for a lot of clubs). Not saying that's what the board would think but it's what I personally feel. I've always stated I like Martinez and would love him to do well here.
(Don't know why I keep looking at this thread)

But we are on course to miss every one of those targets making the season a failure. How can you then be happy?

Progress from what, last season when we were crap ?

In 2012 under Moyes we got to the semi finals of the FA Cup and finished 7th. I'd be interested to see what you were saying about that season at the end of it, seeing as that looks like the kind of achievement we're going to have at the end of this one.

Scoring lots of goals means little if you are finishing lower in the league and still winning nothing.

We also played decent football in that season with Moyes and crucially it was a pretty enjoyable experience going to home games. This season doing that has been awful, no matter what is said about our football.

Being where we are is not progress. Winning things and getting into Europe is, because that was the next step up from where Moyes left us.
I'll tell you what I said about it: 7th placed trophy = not good enough; bottling a SF to Liverpool = not good enough.

As a season = very acceptable.

"We also played decent football in that season with Moyes and crucially it was a pretty enjoyable experience going to home games."

Says it all really doesn't it? We played decent football that one season out of the 11 he was here for (and certainly not all the time that season either).

Let's not rewrite history here.

I'll tell you what I said about it: 7th placed trophy = not good enough; bottling a SF to Liverpool = not good enough.

As a season very acceptable.

"We also played decent football in that season with Moyes and crucially it was a pretty enjoyable experience going to home games."

Says it all really doesn't it? We played decent football that one season out of the 11 he was here for (and certainly not all the time that season either).

Let's not rewrite history here.
Lol. That's exactly what you've just done.

At home our good results have come when playing the bottom three teams in the league and an uncharacteristically poor Chelsea team.

By drawing them out and hitting them on the counter...

We tried to do it against Stoke and Leicester and scored three and two goals respectively which had we had a competent goalkeeper/confident defence (as we do now) would have resulted in victories.

Lol. That's exactly what you've just done.

We were terrible for the first part of 2011-12. It was the summer we lost Arteta on deadline day and brought in Drenth and Straq...

We didn't get a run of results together until January when we signed Pienaar, Gibson, Donovan and Jelavic, and even then we didn't actually string a proper run together until Jelavic got fully fit in March...

We ended the season on a relative high but without playing anywhere near the level of play we've shown at times this season.

It's also not wrong by @davek to say we bottled that RS semi-final. We did. We bottled it a lot more against a crap Liverpool team than we did against De Bruyne, Aguero and Atkinson the other week...

By drawing them out and hitting them on the counter...

We tried to do it against Stoke and Leicester and scored three and two goals respectively which had we had a competent goalkeeper/confident defence (as we do now) would have resulted in victories.

If's and buts, the usual defence of Roberto.

The reality is we got 0 points for both of those "good performances" where we conceded 4 and 3 goals respectively

A good performance isn't just about attacking. It's ok Roberto doesnt understand that either and it's his full time job.

He picked the keeper, he coached the defence.

If's and buts, the usual defence of Roberto.

The reality is we got 0 points for both of those "good performances" where we conceded 4 and 3 goals respectively

A good performance isn't just about attacking. It's ok Roberto doesnt understand that either and it's his full time job.

He picked the keeper, he coached the defence.

But he obviously does as 5 wins from the last 6 games prove...

We were terrible for the first part of 2011-12. It was the summer we lost Arteta on deadline day and brought in Drenth and Straq...

We didn't get a run of results together until January when we signed Pienaar, Gibson, Donovan and Jelavic, and even then we didn't actually string a proper run together until Jelavic got fully fit in March...

We ended the season on a relative high but without playing anywhere near the level of play we've shown at times this season.

It's also not wrong by @davek to say we bottled that RS semi-final. We did. We bottled it a lot more against a crap Liverpool team than we did against De Bruyne, Aguero and Atkinson the other week...
Fairly comparable to the 5-2 in Kiev, where they had one decent player

Or when we went to Anfield and were 4-0 in 46 minutes

Were not seriously claiming that Martinez has turned this team into mighty, brave lads are we?

I didn't say we weren't poor for the first half of that season. I was more on about that season being the only time we played any good football in 11 years and plus why does it matter if we had a poor start to that season. We got 7th and a cup run. dave will be lapping that up if Martinez gets that this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back