Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairly comparable to the 5-2 in Kiev, where they had one decent player

Not at all. We were away in the Ukraine not in London, and as I've said we went with the wrong team set up as well.

Not exactly the bottle that taking the lead against a God awful Liverpool side and throwing it away by trying to defend for another 70 minutes

I didn't say we weren't poor for the first half of that season. I was more on about that season being the only time we played any good football in 11 years and plus why does it matter if we had a poor start to that season. We got 7th and a cup run. dave will be lapping that up if Martinez gets that this season.

You've literally contradicted the majority of the plotters then mate...

Dave said above it was a decent season in the end (11-12)... just as this by all rights will be a decent season if we get into the top 7...

I agree on the good football thing. We played some decent stuff throughout 07-09 and then again 12-13, but it just stagnated too much for us to go anywhere with it.

We play a style now that when we get it right is genuinely unplayable. Our problem has been the consistency in getting that together and that's as much down to the players as it is the manager

Not at all. We were away in the Ukraine not in London, and as I've said we went with the wrong team set up as well.

Not exactly the bottle that taking the lead against a God awful Liverpool side and throwing it away by trying to defend for another 70 minutes

You honestly are claiming we didn't bottle it in Kiev, just so you can defend your hilariously dodgy position?

Talk about being selective!

I'll tell you what I said about it: 7th placed trophy = not good enough; bottling a SF to Liverpool = not good enough.

As a season = very acceptable.

"We also played decent football in that season with Moyes and crucially it was a pretty enjoyable experience going to home games."

Says it all really doesn't it? We played decent football that one season out of the 11 he was here for (and certainly not all the time that season either).

Let's not rewrite history here.

We played decent football in Moyes' last two seasons. Under Martinez we've played decent football for about a season total, since he has taken us over. To be playing well in my eyes you have to win games.

You honestly are claiming we didn't bottle it in Kiev, just so you can defend your hilariously dodgy position?

Talk about being selective!

No, we bottled it, but not as much as we did after taking the lead against a crap Liverpool in an FA Cup semi-final...

Carlisle, Bournemouth B, Villa and Newcastle are 4 of those 5. You've previously discounted the latter 2 as they were pants so I assume you will also discount the others.

All hail Martinez for being able to beat those, eh.

Lower league, 15th, 20th, and 19th. The run of dreams for an under-pressure manager. Even he couldn't screw it up.

Ran out of ifs and buts did we?

No I just can't be arsed arguing with you as we just go around in circles and the title of this thread is to remain civil.

We don't agree and that's fine.

The only thing is, is that however much you think this new investor/frustrating season will result in RM losing his job, it's not going to happen.

And if you can't see the signs that we've started to improve defensively then it'salso fine.

All hail Martinez for being able to beat those, eh.

Lower league, 15th, 20th, and 19th. The run of dreams for an under-pressure manager. Even he couldn't screw it up.

No, I'm not saying all hail Martinez at all. I'm saying we've won 5 of our last 6. That's a fact.

No, we bottled it, but not as much as we did after taking the lead against a crap Liverpool in an FA Cup semi-final...

Ah, so we bottled it, but there are levels of bottling it.

Any excuses for Martinez, it's embarrassingly desperate

You've literally contradicted the majority of the plotters then mate...

Dave said above it was a decent season in the end (11-12)... just as this by all rights will be a decent season if we get into the top 7...

I agree on the good football thing. We played some decent stuff throughout 07-09 and then again 12-13, but it just stagnated too much for us to go anywhere with it.

We play a style now that when we get it right is genuinely unplayable. Our problem has been the consistency in getting that together and that's as much down to the players as it is the manager
I didn't say it was good enough though and I bet that dave didn't back in 2012 and it's a shame that we only get this unplayable style of football right enough to be sitting in the bottom half.

Ah, so we bottled it, but there are levels of bottling it.

Any excuses for Martinez, it's embarrassingly desperate

No it's not embarrassing.

I'd personally say bottling it like we did against Liverpool is worse than losing in Kiev.

You plotters are all well and good thinking that your opinions count for anything and that he will be sacked, but he isn't going anywhere any time soon so what's the point?

That's not trying to ridicule you or say RM is infallible - he obviously has his faults - it's just this completely unfounded argument that he hasn't changed his style to try and win games. He quite clearly has. Sometimes it's worked and sometimes it hasn't.

I didn't say it was good enough though and I bet that dave didn't back in 2012 and it's a shame that we only get this unplayable style of football right enough to be sitting in the bottom half.

It is a shame, of course it is - but tell me why you insist for wholly blaming RM?

It's as much down to the players as it is him... just as the good things we do are as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back