Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We played decent football in Moyes' last two seasons. Under Martinez we've played decent football for about a season total, since he has taken us over. To be playing well in my eyes you have to win games.

If there's been one improvement in the changeover of managers its been the type of football we now play - or attempt to play. The movement of Martinez's teams and the intent they have to go out and win games rather than carry out a war of attrition, as per his predecessor, distinguishes them.

Any serious commentator looking at the way we played under Moyes and the way we play under Martinez has to conclude that we are playing better football under the latter.

I think if we had a Martinez in charge between 03-05, trying to play like Barcelona with Alan Stubbs and Kevin Kilbane in the team, we'd have been relegated without so much as a whimper

But we don't try and play like Barca do. Far from it. We take a bit of their style but so would every team who wants to build a system of play in place that is sustainable for years to come - which is what we're trying to do. This new investment, as RM said, hopefully allows us to accelerate the process slightly.

That isn't a knock on Moyes as he did great for us first 7 years, IMO, but right now I firmly believe RM is the right man to take us forward. He will be under pressure this summer and rightly so, but I'm sticking by him.

As @chazzle_dazzle mentioned though, and as I have said, we now have games coming up that are against the teams around us. Manager needs to get his tactics right and the players need to start living up to their billing.

No it's not embarrassing.

I'd personally say bottling it like we did against Liverpool is worse than losing in Kiev.

You plotters are all well and good thinking that your opinions count for anything and that he will be sacked, but he isn't going anywhere any time soon so what's the point?

That's not trying to ridicule you or say RM is infallible - he obviously has his faults - it's just this completely unfounded argument that he hasn't changed his style to try and win games. He quite clearly has. Sometimes it's worked and sometimes it hasn't.

Criticise Martinez, must be a plotter.

Having opinions on a forum, who'd have thought it.

You're a very, very poor Dave impression, without the capability of carrying it off.

I actually agree with you. There are signs things are getting better. I've never said that there's no difference (hence the jovial nature of my post you quoted). Europa league qualification and a consistency in style from now to the end of the season and I'm a happy bunny. If we step backwards now in terms of selection (Howard, Kone) or fail to crack a style for playing at home, then for me questions remain. It is unquestionably better than last season though. Only a fool wouldn't admit that. 11th isn't good enough though and only a fool wouldn't admit that. If we're both right then we will be moving up the table in the right direction I the coming weeks and will both be happy.

Apologies mate I know I quoted you but it was more of a general post.

There are some that are firmly in the 'nothing's changed camp', when the signs are clear that they have.

As I said above though, massive games coming up for us to show that the changes that have been made can get us up the table.

I think if we had a Martinez in charge between 03-05, trying to play like Barcelona with Alan Stubbs and Kevin Kilbane in the team, we'd have been relegated without so much as a whimper

We're not trying to play like Barcelona. Who said that, one of goats's blogging sites of choice? Lol.

If there's been one improvement in the changeover of managers its been the type of football we now play - or attempt to play. The movement of Martinez's teams and the intent they have to go out and win games rather than carry out a war of attrition, as per his predecessor, distinguishes them.

Any serious commentator looking at the way we played under Moyes and the way we play under Martinez has to conclude that we are playing better football under the latter.

We have much better players, so of course we are. But the results need to match that otherwise it's meaningless

Criticise Martinez, must be a plotter.

Having opinions on a forum, who'd have thought it.

You're a very, very poor Dave impression, without the capability of carrying it off.

It's the general term that's been used mate. Don't take offence...

I've said many times that not everyone who thinks he should go is a 'plotter', and vice versa with the 'cult'.

It was more for ease of use.

I've got nothing wrong with people having opinions either, I just don't think the one of RM being unable to change is a valid one at this moment when the clear signs since new year all point to the fact that he has...

69 goals in all competitions so far compared to 72 in total last season?

Our away record.

An all-round improvement in our attacking play and the re-emergence of the likes of Barkley, Del, Rom and Mori. Lennon's form since coming into the side, the form of Barry, Oviedo and Joel.

Plenty of positives if you're willing to see them and not constantly look to bemoan.

The results should have been and should be better. Yes, and especially at home.

But there have been clear signs of improvement and now finally signs of improvement in the defence.

He isn't going anywhere soon so rather than concentrate on that thought why not just stick with it and see where it goes.

If we end up where we are now with no cup then in the summer he will be under a bit more pressure but he will get at least the start of next season.

It's so much better to just accept that rather than seeing the negatives (of which there are plenty I know - but not just down to Martinez). It's called the law of attraction, mate... it's worth a go ;)
In shorthand:

#the entertainers. :coffee:

The really sad fact is that the Martinez has two great consistencies

• Making up excuses for lame home defeats
  • Piping down his supporters after the brief flame of hope

It's just a great shame he has to achieve both at the expense of this wonderful club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back