Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lukaku who people were saying was useless last season and couldnt hold the ball up? Or Lukaku this season whose close to being top scorer thanks to the improvements in developing him? Only a fee weeks ago be said he was very excited for next season with this team.

Stones who people are wanting to sell now hes going througg a bad patch? Or the stones of next season when he steps up another gear like Lukaku and Barkley and the other young players?

For this style of football to work the whole team needs fo fit the mould of the required player for that position. Just like Barca or Ajax...you cant play that way until you have the right players.

We are playing that style without all the right players as part of a long term vision.
So we are playing a style of play that doesn't suit the players we have call me crazy but I thought it was a mangers job to find a style to get the best of what he has, not some squad he may have in the future.

Seems to be the same people that are happy to give Martinez all the credit for signing good players that think it's unfair for him to take the criticism when the team doesn't perform.

RonSwansondoesnotlikefruit-57545.gif

Of the key players in my view:

Barkley = Yes
Lukaku has said yes
Deulofeu has said yes
Besic has said yes
McCarthy has said yes
Mori has just joined

The only one i think is stones and looking af him this season is similar to others last season so i would think he would know its better for his career to improve and develop with us.

I think he will stay and all will extend contacts this summer when we make 3 key signings.

I really hope you're right.

For those who don't see the last 20 months as underachievement, just think that had we appointed Ranieri or Pochettino or a manager of some real talent we could now be talking about us looking at top 4 as a certainty and being in the midst of a title challenge. That could have been ha this season. So for me it's gone past whether Martinez can organise a defence, whether he's learning or not, if the number of non losses since the new year has decreased or anything like that, it's about the opportunity that's been missed. We had the players all fit and in form to do anything this season. Leicester Spurs West Ham are showing that there is no limit. Not only have we not capitalised on what could be a once in a generation chance, we're not even in the top half! For me he had to win the FA cup now or there is literally no point in keeping him around, this season was on a plate for a team like us. Liverpool have messed up but are actually closer despite having a poor squad and changing manager, we have a settled squad and 2 seasons of stability and its counted for Jack all. Not good enough.

Or we could have brought Moyes back last summer and given him carte blanche to sign and sell players and finished top 4-6 again.

Ranieri has done well at leicester. Look at what he did in Greece.

The Poch is a funny one. The spurs fans were calling for his head a year ago just like you are doing with Martinez and he had far better players to begin with.

If we had Lloris this season we would be top 6 now.

For those who don't see the last 20 months as underachievement, just think that had we appointed Ranieri or Pochettino or a manager of some real talent we could now be talking about us looking at top 4 as a certainty and being in the midst of a title challenge. That could have been ha this season. So for me it's gone past whether Martinez can organise a defence, whether he's learning or not, if the number of non losses since the new year has decreased or anything like that, it's about the opportunity that's been missed. We had the players all fit and in form to do anything this season. Leicester Spurs West Ham are showing that there is no limit. Not only have we not capitalised on what could be a once in a generation chance, we're not even in the top half! For me he had to win the FA cup now or there is literally no point in keeping him around, this season was on a plate for a team like us. Liverpool have messed up but are actually closer despite having a poor squad and changing manager, we have a settled squad and 2 seasons of stability and its counted for Jack all. Not good enough.

I don't think anyone is saying it's not an underachievement because it is.

But Bobby has sorted out a grinding aging side, filled the squad with some really good young talent, got us scoring freely and is now finally getting around to sorting us out at the back. I still can't understand how a team with probably 3 out of England's first choice back four for the Euros can fail to do the basics. There has been an improvement at the back (mainly through bringing Joel in and McCarthy coming back), we're looking a lot more solid at corners and actually scoring from them at the other end. It's all stuff they will have been working on since just before Christmas, I can see an improvement if you can't.

There's just no way you can expect the opposition at this level not to have chances and pressure when you're down to ten men for an hour, and that was the problem today

Even Bilic admitted that if the penalty had gone in then it would have ended 3 or even 4-0.

Martinez says similar and alot of posters call him out on it...this is the gut whose played Mirallas so they should be happy and yet when he does a "Mirallas" blame the manager for not winning the fame when his tactical masterclass should have made us 3-0 ahead.

People saying Niasse should have had more minutes against Villa and then now saying he shouldnt have played today as he wasnt fit???

You actually cant make it up.

Lennon totally goosed, Barry with Stomach problem and yet probably could only last a few mins if needed yet they think hes an option.....Baines is injured but kept on the bench as an emergency yet people want him starting???

Amazing.

One game I might believe you, but you come out with the same things after every single loss. A whole host of reasons why not to blame the manager. Yet, after any win, it's Martinez this Martinez that. What a job he has, he must be laughing every single day, the only job in the prem where he gets credit for wins and the players/ref/crowd get blamed for losses. As manager of this team he owns all the results good or bad. For the past 20 months they've been diabolical in the league.

So we are playing a style of play that doesn't suit the players we have call me crazy but I thought it was a mangers job to find a style to get the best of what he has, not some squad he may have in the future.

Same as working in a company mate. You buy a company in China for example and try and change the culture into more of a Western style (Moyes to Martinez chalk and cheese).

It doesnt happen overnight and you will need to replace older workers and those who dont want to change.

It all takes time and a lot of luck...and a long term vision to be successful.

It's a nice sunday morning here and I haven't read any of the fume/antifume stuff at all

Some points in no order;

Your man doesn't do him self any favours does he?

In 100 or so games, we've played 2 up front how many times? Although Niasse wasn't sent on to play 2 up, it's what essentially happened...but with 10 men

On the ten men; We started with ten men and we finished with ten men, Does this put to bed the Stones in midfield thing?...but it shouldn't of mattered

Mirallas is a total Idiot
The Reff is a total Idiot
Martinez ...no; it's just notes and points, not condemnation, it's well past that.

After the 3-6 Chelsea thing a guy on a Chelsea site said...Martinez has pretty much coached all the Moyes out of that team, what little that might be left has slipped away.

Even when he scores, does Lukaku inspire confidence as a penalty taker??

So, like in the old days when picture houses showed the main feature film; in what was nearly an endless loop, you would say...This is where I(we) came in.
There might be some debate as to when this looped film 'The Martinez Project' started; going back to Ossie and Howard on Boxing day 2013

But the fact remains...This is were we came in.

Still more mentions of 'Baffling' substitutions costing us the match. UTTER TRIPE.

As I said earlier.

We go a man down, he takes off Stones and puts Besic on to revert to a back 4 and take control of the midfield. 30 mins later we are 2-0 up and cruising.
15 mins to go Lennon is tiring badly (great performance and making up for being a man down). Bobby takes him off and replaces him with another winger who desperately needs some game time to integrate. It should keep the pressure on them going forward and maintain the 2-0 status quo. West Ham push up and score two.
Bobby sees that Rom is tired and isn't getting the ball any more so replaces him with Barry to fill out the midfield and hold onto the draw, Naisse goes up top.
Payet scores under a minute later.

You can see the logic in what he did (if you can't put a new player on with 15mins to go whilst 2-0 up at home when can you?). If we'd have put Barry on for Lennon then it would have been telling West Ham that we weren't going to bother trying to get out of our half anymore, yes you could argue in hindsight that his decisions were wrong, but you could also argue that the substitutions didn't actually change anything. Going down to 10 men killed us today. It took away all our options as we tired in the second half.

Bobby didn't make the tired mistakes, what more could he have done differently at the time?
where is your evidence that Lennon was 'tiring badly'? I was at the game and neither I nor the hundreds of people around me could see that. The posts I've seen on here and Twitter etc suggest that very few people felt he was really struggling. I assume you were there? You must have had a better view.

If he really was tired (again) I think it remains martinez's fault for failing to ensure a 28 year old at the peak of his career appears incapable of playing 90 minutes of football a week.

We lose games week in week out, and the manager seems incapable of preventing it. To me, it's clear he's incompetent, but unfortinately some people always seem to have an excuse.

One game I might believe you, but you come out with the same things after every single loss. A whole host of reasons why not to blame the manager. Yet, after any win, it's Martinez this Martinez that. What a job he has, he must be laughing every single day, the only job in the prem where he gets credit for wins and the players/ref/crowd get blamed for losses. As manager of this team he owns all the results good or bad. For the past 20 months they've been diabolical in the league.

No thats wrong. We have been poor at HOME.

If you cant see the massive changes hes made with the long term in mind in not sure you ever will and probably be totallt shocked when things click next season.

And yes i can say the same things each time as its a long term vision.

Even Bilic admitted he would have lost 3 or 4-0 if the pen went in. Where would you be then? On here praising Martinez tactical masterclass or whinging at something.

Heck when we won against villa and even when we were 3 up people complained.

I don't think anyone is saying it's not an underachievement because it is.

But Bobby has sorted out a grinding aging side, filled the squad with some really good young talent, got us scoring freely and is now finally getting around to sorting us out at the back. I still can't understand how a team with probably 3 out of England's first choice back four for the Euros can fail to do the basics. There has been an improvement at the back (mainly through bringing Joel in and McCarthy coming back), we're looking a lot more solid at corners and actually scoring from them at the other end. It's all stuff they will have been working on since just before Christmas, I can see an improvement if you can't.

There's just no way you can expect the opposition at this level not to have chances and pressure when you're down to ten men for an hour, and that was the problem today

I'm not saying there hasn't been an improvement, but after almost 3 seasons you're talking about things like being solid at corners, finally making some correct selection issues. These are managerial basics that shouldn't take 2 and a bit years to figure out. In terms of improvement we've gone from really poor form to just ok form (in the league). The points tally is still not great. I'm not interested in talking about an individual game because the level of pedantry it brings out is unbearable. There's been a myriad of excuses after every single loss this season, none of them are 'one ifs' 'one of those days' because they've happened multiple times. What you don't get on here after wins are people going 'You can't credit Martinez for that, it was Lukaku scoring those goals, individual brilliance, favourable refereeing' it just doesn't happen. Some fans might be ok with waiting for Martinez to learn how to be a top manager, I have a feeling it will be the longest lesson ever because he's an extremely slow learner. In the meantime we're passing up opportunities for champions league qualification and even this season a crack st the title.

where is your evidence that Lennon was 'tiring badly'? I was at the game and neither I nor the hundreds of people around me could see that. The posts I've seen on here and Twitter etc suggest that very few people felt he was really struggling. I assume you were there? You must have had a better view.

If he really was tired (again) I think it remains martinez's fault for failing to ensure a 28 year old at the peak of his career appears incapable of playing 90 minutes of football a week.

We lose games week in week out, and the manager seems incapable of preventing it. To me, it's clear he's incompetent, but unfortinately some people always seem to have an excuse.

Martinez said it.

Did you not think Lennon looked shattered after all his runninf around? Who can do that much running for 90mins?

What are your views on poster boy mirallas getting a game today + Mori not heading clear and Coleman out of position?

I'm not saying there hasn't been an improvement, but after almost 3 seasons you're talking about things like being solid at corners, finally making some correct selection issues. These are managerial basics that shouldn't take 2 and a bit years to figure out. In terms of improvement we've gone from really poor form to just ok form (in the league). The points tally is still not great. I'm not interested in talking about an individual game because the level of pedantry it brings out is unbearable. There's been a myriad of excuses after every single loss this season, none of them are 'one ifs' 'one of those days' because they've happened multiple times. What you don't get on here after wins are people going 'You can't credit Martinez for that, it was Lukaku scoring those goals, individual brilliance, favourable refereeing' it just doesn't happen. Some fans might be ok with waiting for Martinez to learn how to be a top manager, I have a feeling it will be the longest lesson ever because he's an extremely slow learner. In the meantime we're passing up opportunities for champions league qualification and even this season a crack st the title.

Who would you replace him with for the LONG TERM and to grow a dynasty from the ground up. In the same way he wants to turn us into Barca who would you like to emulate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back