Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think any other premier league manager would have made the Lennon Naisse substitution and therein lies the problem. He's got no idea of how to tactically close out a game.
You seen Mad Uncle Louis at ManU mate?
He's kidnapping kids from Primary School and throwing them on at random, even starting them.

Naisse needs game time to acclimatise and build fitness. Sticking on a more defensive player like Barry would have been a neon sign shouting that we'd decided to sit being pummeled on the edge of our own area for the last 15 with no outlet. You're forgetting we were actually in control at that point and the more likely to score again.

You seen Mad Uncle Louis at ManU mate?
He's kidnapping kids from Primary School and throwing them on at random, even starting them.

Naisse needs game time to acclimatise and build fitness. Sticking on a more defensive player like Barry would have been a neon sign shouting that we'd decided to sit being pummeled on the edge of our own area for the last 15 with no outlet. You're forgetting we were actually in control at that point and the more likely to score again.

Haha you're holding up van gaal as an example

Clutching at straws now

Hmm, Robertos thinks, we need to close this game out with only 10 men. What would LVG do? Of course throw in the most inexperienced player on the bench polish my brown shoes and watch my phenomenal reputation grow.

(Ps I think you'll find most of LVGs were forced on him by injury not idiocy)

The biggest kick in the teeth is fans of the tinpot clubs like Stoke and West ham taking the pee out of us and most likely finishing above us. That's not the Everton I know and love and it's all down to the current manager. We need change at the end of the season there is no doubt in my mind, otherwise it'll be another season of the same next year.

I don't think any other premier league manager would have made the Lennon Naisse substitution and therein lies the problem. He's got no idea of how to tactically close out a game.

As soon as Lennon came off Bilic called Noble over and told him to tell Payet to switch right, because he knew we were exposed. I seen that from the upper Gwladys and knew we would struggle on the right hand side, did Martinez miss it, if so, she should have cottoned on within three goals.

We have been in a good run so to change the formation we have used all season to shoe horn Stones into the team tells me all I need to know about Martinez. Why go to 3 centre halfs after 20 odd games against a team above us is downright stupid.

I find it somewhat remarkable that debate rages re Mr Martinez's abililty. I can only suppose that those who think Mr Martinez is the way forward for everton, have never employed a single employee...
For me it's simples...he is not up to the task of leading our club forward. I suspect our new major shareholder will think likewise...

I never heard any booing for the Lennon Niasse sub but it seems to of upset everyone? Isn't Niasse meant to be known for his workrate? I had no problem with it tbh and i think most have a problem with now only because we lost

Another result to justify why Martinez should go. Thanks to him we went an extra player down. Brilliant substitution of Lennon with zero. We also have a psychological problem and its solution in part is Martinez leaving

What is Martinez's long term plan? Develop some top players in the safety of midtable that other clubs can then buy? Great for our balance sheet but not for winning anything. What does a Martinez dynasty look like? Why are you confident that he will create one? He's done nothing since he came here despite having money to spend.

This question always gets banded with assumptions. The main one being that Martinez guarantees success if you just give him time (completely unproven so far at Wifan or at Everton), and that any other manager is just a short term fix. Both are utter rubbish. Why do we even need a managerial dynasty? I'd rather have Mourinho in fur one season and his winning something than another ten years of Martinez's promises on the never ever.

*puts hand up in very eager fashion, practically bouncing...Sir, Sir, Please Sir, Mr Moshiri Sir, Can we have one of them short term fixes that the Apologists say never seem to work Sir.

Sir; You boy, short term fix monitor, go in the short term fix cupboard and see if there's any left.

Monitor; Sir, me Sir?

Sir; Yes Sir, you Sir*flings board duster with customary accuracy, e.g., close enough to encourage without hurting too much

Monitor returns carrying an empty box with the label 'Ranieri (1) Propety of Leicester City Education Dept.'

Sir; I'll look for one over the Easter Hols chaps - class dismissed

*Mass stamped to renew season tickets at cheap early bird rates.

What is Martinez's long term plan? Develop some top players in the safety of midtable that other clubs can then buy? Great for our balance sheet but not for winning anything. What does a Martinez dynasty look like? Why are you confident that he will create one? He's done nothing since he came here despite having money to spend.

This question always gets banded with assumptions. The main one being that Martinez guarantees success if you just give him time (completely unproven so far at Wifan or at Everton), and that any other manager is just a short term fix. Both are utter rubbish. Why do we even need a managerial dynasty? I'd rather have Mourinho in fur one season and his winning something than another ten years of Martinez's promises on the never ever.

Clearly hes bringing in players to develop together as a group and improve to get us into champions league long term.

If you look "selectively at the his signings for the long term and players hes brought through and developed:

GK -- Robles
LB --
LCB -- Mori / Galloway
RCB -- Stones
RB --
DM -- McCarthy
CM -- Besic
LW -- Cleverley /Niasse
ACM -- Barkley / Tarashaj
RW -- Deulofeu / Lennon
CF -- Lukaku

Its quite clear thar hes been focusing on the midfield and attack and still needs a couple of key signings there which will cost big money which he has not had in one go and was probably planning on signing them this summer.

What is equally noticeable is that other than a back up keeper (at the time) and a Distin replacement he's only signed Galloway at a young age (Holgate and Foulds yet to come through).

Obviously he cant do all this at once can he and has done so cleverly and gradually while usinf stop fap players along the way.

These signings are being developed into top level players, just look at the difference of Lukaku and Barkley last season and this along with progres Besic and Deulofeu have made not to mention Mori adapting still.

But instead of this plan to bring in and develop players to become the best you would prefer Mourinho to come in for a season....someone who doesnt play young players and buys auccess for 3 seasons before leaving.

This is such self entitlement its incredible.

http://toffeeweb.com/season/15-16/comment/fan/32014.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

An open letter to Roberto
By Brian Viner 05/03/2016
bubble_sm.gif

Dear Roberto,

I am writing this on a crowded train, on my long, weary way home from Goodison Park, where I have just watched Everton lose yet again on their own turf, this time 3-2 to West Ham. Like so many of Everton’s games this season, it was a cracker for the neutrals. But I’m not a neutral.

It will take me three hours to get home. But that’s nothing compared with the two Blues I shared a cab with on the way to the ground from Lime Street. They had come from Norway. And even that is a hop compared with the lad whose taxi I shared on the way back to Lime Street. He had travelled all the way from New York City, just for two days, just for the game.

Of course, that’s the gamble one takes as a football fan. I understand that. And I don’t doubt that you and the players are hurting after squandering yet another commanding lead. But I do hope you might spare a thought for all those who make such a huge investment of time and money to come and see you, week after week. And whose pay-off is a string of painful home defeats.

Now, having said all that, let me add that I like the cut of your jib, Roberto. I think you’re a decent, honourable man, and you understand what it means to follow Everton. Everyone thinks their club is unique, but only Evertonians know that theirs really is. You seem to get that. Moreover, you have added flair to the solidity David Moyes brought. You do get your teams playing entertaining football. I appreciate that.

But I think now is the time to look into your soul, to discover whether you are a man of humility. Because if you are, you will surely accept that defeats such as today’s are down to nobody but you. It was disingenuous of you, perhaps even cowardly, to say that big Rom’s missed penalty – ghastly as it was – was the main reason we lost this afternoon. Players do miss pens. It happens.

However, what I can’t remember happening in my 45 years as a diehard Everton fan is seeing a team so repeatedly and catastrophically incapable of protecting a lead. And that has to be your fault. I watched today’s game, and then discussed it afterwards, in the company of several distinguished ex-pros. I won’t name them because I wouldn’t want to embarrass them. But like me, they were flabbergasted when you replaced Lennon with Niasse.

Like me, and I should think virtually everyone in the stadium, they could see that if Lennon had to come off at all (arguable, given how well he was playing, and how hard he works) then the situation – 2-0 up but a player down – screamed for someone with the experience and defensive instincts to guard our advantage. Barry, in other words. Or even Osman. Not a striker new to the Premier League (who, by the way, looked thoroughly out of his depth from the moment he came on).

I imagine you’d counter that attack is the best form of defence, that Niasse’s job was to hold the ball up, that closing a game down smacks of negativity (which you hate). And you have other arguments in your locker. You can point to your extensive coaching qualifications, to your FA Cup winner’s medal with lowly Wigan, to the fact that you see the players every day in training, and we don’t.

But don’t let any of that blind you to what is glaringly obvious to everyone who loves Everton perhaps even more than you do. There is no shame in protecting a lead. It is just as much of a footballing art as establishing a lead. But, manifestly, you don’t know how to do it, how to re-organise your personnel, how to make match-saving substitutions. So please, be humble. Find someone who can teach you, and do it soon, for your own benefit as much as the club’s.

Otherwise you will never be the success in management that you plainly aspire to be, unless of course you become the manager of a convenience store. You’ll be great at that, because you never shut up shop. Joking aside, though, you might find that as new investors lead Everton towards a brave new world, you’re not part of the advance.

With best wishes,

Brian

Is this guy still writing for the independent?

The one who said the Kirby stadium was amazing and Sir Terry Leahy CEO of Tesco was incredible.

We have been in a good run so to change the formation we have used all season to shoe horn Stones into the team tells me all I need to know about Martinez. Why go to 3 centre halfs after 20 odd games against a team above us is downright stupid.

Much as I hate to say it you're wrong, we had flat back 4 of Coleman Jags, Mori, Oviedo.

Stones was in the Barry Role DM

which, IMO, is worse.

So in effect you were right...Now THAT does tell you all you need to know...not a 'kin clue.

Perhaps so we could go ahead and dominate the match before the idiot mirallas (who the martinez haters were demanding) got himself sent off and we had to brinng on Besic and still should have been 3 4 or even 5-0 up (as bilic said 3-0 or 4-0).

So youre now slating martinez for his tactics which put us in a winning position and not the players who go sent off or didnt make routine headed clearances?

I never heard any booing for the Lennon Niasse sub but it seems to of upset everyone? Isn't Niasse meant to be known for his workrate? I had no problem with it tbh and i think most have a problem with now only because we lost

From the same people who wanted him starting games despite being told he was unfit...then saying 3-1 wasnt a good result last week and Niasse should have been on for longer.

Now he comes on with us 2-0 up at home and because he was poor and we lost apparently we should have put an unfit Barry on the pitch much earlier and a shattered lennon should have stayed on.

Just people making up nonsense to bash the manager with.

Much as I hate to say it you're wrong, we had flat back 4 of Coleman Jags, Mori, Oviedo.

Stones was in the Barry Role DM

which, IMO, is worse.

So in effect you were right...Now THAT does tell you all you need to know...not a 'kin clue.

Yeah the team which got us to an inch of 3-0 was rubbish.

Well thought out argument there degsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back