Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing about Anfield was that we cleared out the treatment room and sent out the walking wounded.

That in itself might be a point against Bobby but it was a result which was totally unrepresentative of our season as a whole.

Yeah, that rankled with me as well. I'd take fit square pegs in round holes (careful!) than unfit anything, but also, we have seen with Lukaku in the early part of the season, playing injured players (at potential risk, or even potential More risk) is something of a RM forte.

Not good long term management. Thats about as nice as I can say it.

Yeah, that rankled with me as well. I'd take fit square pegs in round holes (careful!) than unfit anything, but also, we have seen with Lukaku in the early part of the season, playing injured players (at potential risk, or even potential More risk) is something of a RM forte.

Not good long term management. Thats about as nice as I can say it.

Managers do what they think is best. They put players on the pitch they are told are fit ( doesn't always work out that they are match fit ). He's done it this season. But what's he to do? Not send a side out? He has to send out the side HE thinks will get the results. It hasn't worked so either way in about 2-3 games times we will find out I guess because he will either be gone or everyone will have to pipe down as he's won 6-9 points.

Alcaraz, Kone? It was 'ageing core' you brought up then threw the 3 players very much not part of the 'ageing core' into the mix for some reason.

I was talking about the defence he didn't address. Alcaraz was free. Eto'o was free. Kone and the 3 year deal for Barry were madness, but Barry hardly cost that much in the long run and would still be a useful player if Roberto would use him sparingly. His general policy has been okay, some hits and some misses, but it's not the age profile of the players he brought in that's the problem, it's the age profile of the players we already had there and he didn't replace. We were hardly going to be able to afford two first choice centre halves and a first choice goalkeeper in one transfer window anyway, but I'm confident that will be looked at when summer rolls around.

After 470 odd pages I've yet to read a well argued post on why Martinez is worth sacking at this moment, the thread has turned out like a Jerry Springer impersonation of Prime Ministers question time.

And DaveK seems to be cast in the unfortunate postion of Peter Mandolsen to Robertos Tony Blair in this episode.
5 wins all season, worst run without a win in a decade, first time in the prem yrs we have been out of both cups at the first hurdle, standard of football , out thought by some very average managers in try to break there teams down, and hast reacted there would be plenty of ammo for that post,
For now i would keep him myself, but can see why others might have given up, loads on the tipping piont i suspect, next few games and no wins and it could turn very nasty.
I hope he goes agaist his normal mindset and sets out not to get beat first the next few games, as we cant afford to get sucked any further into the bottom and need a platform to build on

5 wins all season, worst run without a win in a decade, first time in the prem yrs we have been out of both cups at the first hurdle, standard of football , out thought by some very average managers in try to break there teams down, and hast reacted there would be plenty of ammo for that post,
For now i would keep him myself, but can see why others might have given up, loads on the tipping piont i suspect, next few games and no wins and it could turn very nasty.
I hope he goes agaist his normal mindset and sets out not to get beat first the next few games, as we cant afford to get sucked any further into the bottom and need a platform to build on

'Phenomenal', admire the 'Philosophy' of this. Say he switches the stubbornness off, starts playing to the fit players we have readys strengths.... do you forgive him for waiting so so so so long to actually address the issue. (re: His stubbornness) ?

I don't think anyone would deny that he posts some nutty stuff, but some of his root arguments have weight. I have no doubt myself that there are people on here who would prefer Martinez to fail and be proven right, rather than see us get out of this. I think Davek has a word for them. Anyway, I was merely pointing out that accusing him of "poisoning the board" with "vile lies" is a bit far fetched. He's planted a flag in the ground and there's plenty of people on the other side of the spectrum spouting some equally extreme views.

Poisoning the atmosphere I would call it by taking such an entrenched viewpoint and shouting down anyone who disagrees with it.

'Phenomenal', admire the 'Philosophy' of this. Say he switches the stubbornness off, starts playing to the fit players we have readys strengths.... do you forgive him for waiting so so so so long to actually address the issue. (re: His stubbornness) ?
He is still young in manager terms i am hoping he learns something from this and moves on stronger in the long term, bit of a slow on the uptake at the moment like.

Well...

Highest premier league wins in a season, highest points total in the premier league, most wins on the spin, imaginative and aggresive football against the top teams, first win at Old Trafford for X years, dynamic and flowing football, beating supposidley more tactically astute and experienced managers on a limited budget...

We've had a far longer period to judge his good bits than this recent slump, he deserves our patience and support during this blip. Turing on a manger and demanding his removal is very short sighted seeing he's been been a far better manager than a useless one for us during his tenure.

In a curious way last weekend has made up my mind on whether or not I would like to see Martinez sacked. I enjoyed not having that sickening feeling of wanting a win but getting a defeat by a team with half the talent we have. I now look at Saturday and I am praying we win without any confidence we will win. I really wanted Martinez to succeed, he appears to be a lovely man but I cannot come up with any reason to keep him. We now need a short term dogmatic manager to steady the ship with a view to getting in the right man over the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back