Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feck......you have me wracking my brain now.....:(

I don't think you could avoid relegation with only one point.

Take three other teams and assume they lose every match except the six they play against each other and yourself.

We know that if you only have one point, then you must have lost five games against these three teams....and drawn with one of them.

No Doug.....you are going down my friend.

Because every team in the league will have beaten you twice except one which has taken four points in their games against you.

:p

To be fair 3, 4 or even 5 sides could get beaten every game all season long. 38 games of purest misery. If a 6th side managed a draw and just 37 losses, they'd be free of relegation and no goal Difference involved for them.

"Just 37 losses", rolls off the tongue.

I'm not sure how literally shortening what Martinez said in an interview can be seen as 'exaggerating' it.

He said all clubs were in a relegation battle until they hit 40 points. Therefore we're in a relegation scrap. That's not misrepresenting anything.
Isn't it cherrypicking?

To be fair 3, 4 or even 5 sides could get beaten every game all season long. 38 games of purest misery. If a 6th side managed a draw and just 37 losses, they'd be free of relegation and no goal Difference involved for them.

"Just 37 losses", rolls off the tongue.

Yes, but if your team only has one point then it is not possible for any other side to have less than four points :)

Because one team will have taken at least four points from you and every other team will have beaten you twice.

It is impossible fir more than one team to lose every match in a season.

Nope......Doug is going down (n)

Feck......you have me wracking my brain now.....:(

I don't think you could avoid relegation with only one point.

Take three other teams and assume they lose every match except the six they play against each other and yourself.

We know that if you only have one point, then you must have lost five games against these three teams....and drawn with one of them.

No Doug.....you are going down my friend.

Because every team in the league will have beaten you twice except one which has taken four points in their games against you.

:p

Slightly floored logic but considering my intake and the lateness of the hour in sure you'll forgive me and can make the small leap to the clearly intended point.

I think it called being realistic; we knew something wasn't right and now at least the manager as admitted it, all be it in a round about way.

Quite a demise that 40 points is now the priority of a team and fanbase that had hopes of CL qualification.

He's just proven the point of many on here; points, not league position, is the priority when further down the table.

Pull your finger our and sort this mess out
Is right;)

No. Go and read it again. He's said in a very general way in an effort to play down any fruitcake notion we'd be relegated that 40 points is what ALL clubs are seeking initially...or certainly this below the vey PL elite. Something that ginger bollocks stated every season might I remind you.

A throwaway remark picked up and exaggerated for effect by a hack....who'd have thought eh?
Only the premiership elite don't worry about hitting 40 points? What a load of bollocks, who are these premiership elite cos judging by your theory there must be at least 12 of them I reckon.

No, it's a nonsense. If all clubs are, as Martinez states, looking for 40 points to avoid a relegation battle, then all clubs barring the top four right now are still involved in it. Therefore his point was twisted by some ex Echo talentless hack to mean something entirely different: that Martinez had narrowed a relegation scrap down to Everton and a few others.

An utter disgrace. The same sh1thouse reporter would never have tried that on with Moyes, so he shouldn't do it now with Martinez.
"Nurse"

Only the premiership elite don't worry about hitting 40 points? What a load of bollocks, who are these premiership elite cos judging by your theory there must be at least 12 of them I reckon.
Every team, barring Chelsea, Arsenal, City, United, Liverpool will start out every season knowing that a string of injuries and suspensions could have them struggling badly to reach safety at a reasonably early stage in order to stop panic ensuing.

If you dont accept that there's no reasoning with you.

Every team, barring Chelsea, Arsenal, City, United, Liverpool will start out every season knowing that a string of injuries and suspensions could have them struggling badly to reach safety at a reasonably early stage in order to stop panic ensuing.

That doesn't equate to being worried about reaching 40 points, sorry.

Slightly floored logic but considering my intake and the lateness of the hour in sure you'll forgive me and can make the small leap to the clearly intended point.

Well, there is nowt to "forgive" and you would be better off just laughing the "floored logic" off rather than bluster on about "clearly intended" points.

Roberto will be spouting the same [Poor language removed] as moyes did before long. Only difference is roberto had a much better starting squad and finances to spend!

Complete garbage

We've been budgeting to finish 8th or above in recent seasons, therefore a relegation battle has not formed part of either our planning or our psyche.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back