Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This club every year holds its breath getting over the first hurdle: 40 points. It's been that way for a decade and a half. Where've you been?

ALL clubs in this division outside the megabucks elite with infinite resources to have large squads full of quality are susceptible to struggles from time to time to hit safety early.

There is absolutely no controversy in stating that. The fact you'd contest it just shows you up for the contrarian you are.

I've been with you most of the way here Dave, but we're definitely not a club who have or should have a mindset of avoiding relegation first. Moyes lowered a lot of expectations and talked frequently of reaching the 40 point mark first and, though I didn't post here during Moyes' reign, you strike me as someone who would have lambasted him for saying so at the time.

The fact is, on top of the existing quality we had in our squad, we spent money like a club that expected itself to compete for fourth again this season and we have failed miserably. I'm not overly concerned. Competing in the Europa League does funny things to clubs and our defence just got suddenly old, very fast. It was glorious watching us last season and I think Martinez is the man to recapture that, so I'm perfectly willing to write this season off and hope that he achieves his vision for the team in the summer. But if we're talking about 40 point milestones this time next year, he'll probably be gone.

Davek having a mate here, I can just imagine Bobby and bills first conversation. Bobby "i promise you I'll get us champions league spot" Bill "oh don't worry about that we just hope to reach the 40 points mark every season"

I remember years ago when Bob Paisley was winning all before him he gave an interview in which he outlined Liverpool's objectives for the approaching season.

He said the first objective was gaining enough points to avoid relegation.....everything else flows from there.

There is absolutely nowt wrong with a manager stating that first and foremost he must ensure his team is not relegated.

That goes for Jose as much as it does for Sean Dyche.

I've been with you most of the way here Dave, but we're definitely not a club who have or should have a mindset of avoiding relegation first. Moyes lowered a lot of expectations and talked frequently of reaching the 40 point mark first and, though I didn't post here during Moyes' reign, you strike me as someone who would have lambasted him for saying so at the time.

The fact is, on top of the existing quality we had in our squad, we spent money like a club that expected itself to compete for fourth again this season and we have failed miserably. I'm not overly concerned. Competing in the Europa League does funny things to clubs and our defence just got suddenly old, very fast. It was glorious watching us last season and I think Martinez is the man to recapture that, so I'm perfectly willing to write this season off and hope that he achieves his vision for the team in the summer. But if we're talking about 40 point milestones this time next year, he'll probably be gone.
It's not an ambition, it's a sensible first staging post along the way that ALL clubs barring 5 have to pass through. It's utter madness to think because we had a net spend for once we are free of those concerns. I'd say that's just sensible. It's not settling, it's prudent to think that way. Once you reach it you get on with the season. That's what's being said, no surrendering of ambition, just a realistic view of what comes first. That was Martinez's point too. It was twisted to sound like an admission that we'd fallen through the floor like no other time in recent history - and I know that hack has covered Everton long enough to realise we were here just 4 seasons or so or ago - and now the plotters on here are holding it up like it's a scalp they just took.

Pathetic. But I expect nothing better from them, tbf.

I remember years ago when Bob Paisley was winning all before him he gave an interview in which he outlined Liverpool's objectives for the approaching season.

He said the first objective was gaining enough points to avoid relegation.....everything else flows from there.

There is absolutely nowt wrong with a manager stating that first and foremost he must ensure his team is not relegated.

Exactly.

But if you tell the plotters that they get a bit upset.

What a load of defeatist bollocks, I cannot believe Paisley said that either.

Embarrassing, total embarrassment by the same few.

Lambasting one manager and defending the other fir exactly the same quote.

And when all else fails, resort to name calling those who have been right all along

This is a place for intelligent reasoned debate, please act accordingly m8.
It adds nothing to the debate either.

I put it down to their realisation that the ship has sailed on their objectives.

I know it's frustrating for them, but they have to realise this is a forum for debate and not for them to throw their toys out of the pram and lash out. Some people just cant learn to be a part of a community I suppose.

Wow, that quote off Paisley sounds exactly like what Moyes used to say.....and we can easily show the abuse you gave him.

Make your mind on which way you stand on these ridiculous statements you keep making.

But eh ho, all I'm expecting from any reply off you will involve a spin doctor statement or the usual name calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back