Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that quote off Paisley sounds exactly like what Moyes used to say.....and we can easily show the abuse you gave him.

Make your mind on which way you stand on these ridiculous statements you keep making.

But eh ho, all I'm expecting from any reply off you will involve a spin doctor statement or the usual name calling.
But is it how I reacted?

Maybe you can present the evidence? Or maybe it's just another unfounded allegation to put in the big box with all the others you make.

I remember years ago when Bob Paisley was winning all before him he gave an interview in which he outlined Liverpool's objectives for the approaching season.

He said the first objective was gaining enough points to avoid relegation.....everything else flows from there.

There is absolutely nowt wrong with a manager stating that first and foremost he must ensure his team is not relegated.

That goes for Jose as much as it does for Sean Dyche.

As true as that is, this season has seen A huge reversal in Martinez's attitude. We were supposed to be challenging for top 4 again and all of a sudden he's openly stating that 40 points is our current target, whereas six months ago that wouldn't have even come to mind. As true as it may be that we need 40 points, it's a loser's mentality.

It's not an ambition, it's a sensible first staging post along the way that ALL clubs barring 5 have to pass through. It's utter madness to think because we had a net spend for once we are free of those concerns. I'd say that's just sensible. It's not settling, it's prudent to think that way. Once you reach it you get on with the season

Dave, I would say it applies to all clubs.....not just five.

Manchester City started this decade in the second tier of English football, having been on the third at the end of the last century.

Chelsea started the 90s in Division 2.

Manchester United were relegated in the 1970s.

And we know Bob Paisley's first priority when Liverpool were at their peak was to avoid relegation. And I remember them being in Division 2 in the 1960s.

The fear of relegation is embedded within the psyche of every football club in this country and the avoidance if that fate is the first aim when the traps open in August. Be that Manchester City or be it Burnley.

There is no shame in clubs taking this attitude.

And certainly no "defeatism" as some of the more complacent among us would fool themselves into believing.

As true as that is, this season has seen A huge reversal in Martinez's attitude. We were supposed to be challenging for top 4 again and all of a sudden he's openly stating that 40 points is our current target, whereas six months ago that wouldn't have even come to mind. As true as it may be that we need 40 points, it's a loser's mentality.

I disagree.

The biggest fear in my life is that I won't be able to pay my mortgage every month and will wind up living on the street.

So I take steps to avoid that and aim to have as pleasant and rewarding a life as possible.

That is a commonsense attitude......not a "losers mentality".

You can't build a structure without foundations.

And in football terms the avoidance of relegation is the bedrock upon which all success is built.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back