Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave, I would say it applies to all clubs.....not just five.

Manchester City started this decade in the second tier of English football, having been on the third at the end of the last century.

Chelsea started the 90s in Division 2.

Manchester United were relegated in the 1970s.

And we know Bob Paisley's first priority when Liverpool were at their peak was to avoid relegation. And I remember them being in Division 2 in the 1960s.

The fear of relegation is embedded within the psyche of every football club in this country and the avoidance if that fate is the first aim when the traps open in August. Be that Manchester City or be it Burnley.

There is no shame in clubs taking this attitude.

And certainly no "defeatism" as some of the more complacent among us would fool themselves into believing.
Haha I've got visions of Mourinho Abromovich, pelligrini and the sheik etc.....worrying at the beginning of the season and breathing a sigh of relief when they reach 40 points. What absolute bullshit.

I disagree.

The biggest fear in my life is that I won't be able to pay my mortgage every month and will wind up living on the street.

So I take steps to avoid that and aim to have as pleasant and rewarding a life as possible.

That is a commonsense attitude......not a "losers mentality".

You can't build a structure without foundations.

And in football terms the avoidance of relegation is the bedrock upon which all success is built.
Do you reckon Bill Gates worries about paying his mortgage?

I read today that interest rates have gone so negative in Denmark, that it is possible to secure a (floating rate) mortgage where the bank pays the borrower interest!!.

Interesting times....the Central Banks are losing control

Do you reckon Bill Gates worries about paying his mortgage?

I am quite sure he does.

Bill Gates and people of his ilk make the protection of their position the first priority every morning they wake up.

Having made sure the ground beneath them is solid, they then go about the business of achieving more.

Not too dissimiliar to the way Bob Paisley went about his business when manager of the RS.

Though you will most likely choose not to "believe" that as it doesn't suit your agenda.

This club every year holds its breath getting over the first hurdle: 40 points. It's been that way for a decade and a half. Where've you been?

ALL clubs in this division outside the megabucks elite with infinite resources to have large squads full of quality are susceptible to struggles from time to time to hit safety early.

There is absolutely no controversy in stating that. The fact you'd contest it just shows you up for the contrarian you are.

Don't have me come looking for you, take your appalling view of my club and do one while you still can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back