Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has probably come up already, but I'll write it down nonetheless as I had a laugh.

Bill must've forgot to turn on his hearing aid when he was interviewing Roberto for the managerial job and he misheard Championship for Champions League football being promised.

I thought you guys might be interested in this: an interview in the German transfermarkt.de with Paul Scharner, former Wigan player who was coached by Roberto. He gives his piece of mind on our manager. This is my translation from the original German.

Transfermarkt: You've experienced many managers in the Premier League. E.g. Roberto Martinez who used to be your manager at Wigan and is now the head coach at Everton FC. How do you rate his work? He has a much more rough period in his second season at Everton.

Scharner: The second year is always more difficult than the debut season, because you have to confirm what you achieved in your debut season and this turned out majestically for him and Everton. Due to the added pressure of the Europa League everything became even harder and the expectations have become different as well compared to the year before. Roberto Martinez is very skillful in the tactical and football analytical field. We had always been very well prepared for our opponents and the training sessions were extraordinarily varied. The only thing he could improve himself in is to try to have more of an influence outside of the pitch during games by sharing more helpful bits of information. Because you simply cannot be aware of everything as an individual and these competences need to be shared.

Transfermarkt: Would you regard Roberto Martinez as somebody with the potential to one day become one of the big managers of the Premier League, a heavy weight like Jose Mourinho?

Scharner: He would have the basics for it, but as I mentioned he needs to become more open. The learning curve never comes to an end and one needs to be open for new things.

------------------------------

The way I interpret his words is that he thinks Roberto is a stubborn [Poor language removed] who will simply never change his mind as he's too obsessed with his philosophy being superior, but that's just how I twist his words.

Had my fair share of hate after the kiev game. Thought that was the epitome of his tactical nativity, but has since proved he can grind out a result good n proper. Bar Coleman having a brainfart we would be on 4 straight wins, but hopefully we rectify that today.

I just hope he does enter next season and uses this, instead of starting out the season like we did this year because it obviously had an adverse effect on the teams confidence and had the fans questioning martinez capability.

I imagine we'll know pretty early into next season. It hasn't just been the results, it's been the way we've played and that will be plain to see by October.

We win today and it'll be a 5 game run of 13 points out of 15.

I dont think there's any coincidence that it's come at a time when we've had to focus on the domestic front.

No EL football next season; one game per week. That will make a massive difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back