Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is the system he's used the most but the last few weeks prior to the Villa game he has pushed up McCarthy to be next to Barkley with only Barry as a holding midfielder. He has also a few times this season used three defensive midfielders, particularly when we were defensively very poor eg the anfield game. 4231 is the sytem the Martinez seems to prefer, same as Mourinho although in a slightly different way, but to say either of them don't switch it around when needed is incorrect.

As @Titus Bramble mentioned, last season it enabled our full backs to both get forward and they were still doing it a lot earlier in the season which enabled things like the Wolfsburg game when Baines passed at the edge of the box for Coleman to score. Martinez probably had to cut back on it because we were leaking goals - until we had Stones partnering Jags and McCarthy fit in midfield we were extremely vulnerable. This was compounded by not having anyone on the wings who was defensively minded other than McGeady until Lennon came.
Switching McCarthy and Barkley worked very well, I agree. It was smart to get Barkley into a position where he could pick the ball up and drive forty or fifty yards forward - I'd say that's the best part of his game.

And then, after finally playing Barkley into form, he goes and drops him for a lad who would struggle to get a game at Burnley.

I wouldn't care if the games were coming thick and fast, but they aren't. He just wanted to shoehorn one of his favourites into the side again.

I have a very hard time taking Martinez seriously nowadays.

Both of this lads threads were locked so although this probably isn't the right place for this, but not sure it warranted a new thread:

From the echo

Brabin leaves Everton to join Tranmere
Former Southport manager Gary Brabin has left his role at Everton's academy to join Tranmere as their new manager.

Brabin left Southport earlier this year for his "dream" role at Everton - but now he's targeting getting Tranmere back in the Football League.

CY19348206.jpg

Everton FC Academy coach Gary Brabin

Gary said, “I have gone on record in the past as saying that the role I was doing at Everton was my dream job, and I did not think that anything would tempt me into leaving there. I have had approaches from other Clubs and declined them, but the Tranmere job is special. The chance to lead one of the three famous old Merseyside Clubs back to where it belongs in the League is a fantastic challenge that is hard to resist. The decision was also partly down to the Chairman: it is unusual to be able to work with a Chairman who is a football man through and through and Mark and I have a shared vision of what was needed to get the foundations right for the future.

“I know that the Club and its fans are hurting right now because of relegation, but I am confident that we can restore the Club to its former glory and play some football that will put a smile back on the fans’ faces.”

Switching McCarthy and Barkley worked very well, I agree. It was smart to get Barkley into a position where he could pick the ball up and drive forty or fifty yards forward - I'd say that's the best part of his game.

And then, after finally playing Barkley into form, he goes and drops him for a lad who would struggle to get a game at Burnley.

I wouldn't care if the games were coming thick and fast, but they aren't. He just wanted to shoehorn one of his favourites into the side again.

I have a very hard time taking Martinez seriously nowadays.
From what I've seen don't think Barkley/McCarthy have been switched around, Barkley seems in much the same place but just moved out a little to the left and McCarthy pushed up almost but not quite level with him.

Naismith is generally better than Barkley at winning aerial battles and providing defensive cover. Villa have got a midfield who have been very robust at chasing and harrying the opposition so would guess that is the reason Naismith was chosen over Barkley, especially since we were playing Mirallas on the left as the creative outlet. The alternative was probably Osman and Barkley (as we did as subs) but Osman would not have lasted in a start against Cleverley. Osman did well against Mata last week but Cleverley is a bit quicker and far more energetic than Mata even if he doesn't have the skill.

From what I've seen don't think Barkley/McCarthy have been switched around, Barkley seems in much the same place but just moved out a little to the left and McCarthy pushed up almost but not quite level with him.

Naismith is generally better than Barkley at winning aerial battles and providing defensive cover. Villa have got a midfield who have been very robust at chasing and harrying the opposition so would guess that is the reason Naismith was chosen over Barkley, especially since we were playing Mirallas on the left as the creative outlet. The alternative was probably Osman and Barkley (as we did as subs) but Osman would not have lasted in a start against Cleverley. Osman did well against Mata last week but Cleverley is a bit quicker and far more energetic than Mata even if he doesn't have the skill.
I appreciate the time and thought you put into your responses, but I just can't get behind the idea that dropping a forward into midfield because he runs around a bit is good management. It's especially frustrating when there are better options on the bench and we're playing a fairly poor team.

I appreciate the time and thought you put into your responses, but I just can't get behind the idea that dropping a forward into midfield because he runs around a bit is good management. It's especially frustrating when there are better options on the bench and we're playing a fairly poor team.
Villa have a fairly poor backline, especially after their recent injuries, but under Sherwood their midfield has been excellent and Benteke has refound his form.

If I had to guess our gameplan it was to be defensively solid for the first 60 minutes and then as Villa pushed on in the final 30 minutes in a desperate need for points, bring on a fresh Barkley to exploit the spaces opened up. It isn't so much that Naismith runs around a lot that might make him better for the early role it is that he is a born harrasser, right from the start we were kicking them to disturb their rhythm even usually "clean" players like Baines. We were treading a fine line of niggly fouls and outright cards and Naismith is better at being a right pain in the arse than Ross! Ross has also looked pretty winded towards the end of games which might have been a factor.

If that was the plan it all went to pot when we conceeded the first goal not to mention that even usually reliable performers like McCarthy were having a mare with no-one seemingly able to compete a 5 yard pass.

Martinez has made many mistakes this year but at least for this game I can see the logic of swapping out osman/Barkley for Naismith/Mirallas. We all see it different though!

Last edited:

“We have internal competition as well; the players realise that you can easily lose your position, as other players are working hard on a daily basis.

“And you want to finish strong, so you can start the next season in a good frame of mind and a strong position. So I wouldn’t say we have nothing to play for.

“We feel that finishing top 10 would be an achievement considering what happened in the first two-thirds of the league season.”

Do we have internal competition? Everyone who has come in and done a better job than the supposed better player has always been left on the bench.

Robles with Howard
Basic with Barry

To an extent you also had, Barkley with Naismith, Garbutt with Baines.

I won't even bother commenting on saying Top 10 would be an achievement. A successful lowering of fans expectations again.

Martinez should consider his faults in the first two thirds of the season and why we were ever in that position.

I'm so bored of his constant comments, he talks absolute rubbish on a near daily basis.

“We have internal competition as well; the players realise that you can easily lose your position, as other players are working hard on a daily basis.

“And you want to finish strong, so you can start the next season in a good frame of mind and a strong position. So I wouldn’t say we have nothing to play for.

“We feel that finishing top 10 would be an achievement considering what happened in the first two-thirds of the league season.”

Do we have internal competition? Everyone who has come in and done a better job than the supposed better player has always been left on the bench.

Robles with Howard
Basic with Barry

To an extent you also had, Barkley with Naismith, Garbutt with Baines.

I won't even bother commenting on saying Top 10 would be an achievement. A successful lowering of fans expectations again.

Martinez should consider his faults in the first two thirds of the season and why we were ever in that position.

I'm so bored of his constant comments, he talks absolute rubbish on a near daily basis.
Well dont listen then, hes always spoken like that and he always will.

When we're winning its boss, when we're having a tough time its annoying

Well dont listen then, hes always spoken like that and he always will.

When we're winning its boss, when we're having a tough time its annoying
It is hard not to, everyday he is telling us how great everything is. He needs to acknowledge that fighting for a position in the Top 10 is simply nowhere near good enough. In no way is finishing 9th or 10th and achievement, no matter what the circumstances.

martinez and general rodgers always talk uber positively. the difference is that general rodgers throws his own under the buss when he feels pressure.

It is hard not to, everyday he is telling us how great everything is. He needs to acknowledge that fighting for a position in the Top 10 is simply nowhere near good enough. In no way is finishing 9th or 10th and achievement, no matter what the circumstances.
i'd rather him talk nonsense then throw all the players under the bus. What do you expect him to say? We're all crap and half the team should mug off?

i'd rather him talk nonsense then throw all the players under the bus. What do you expect him to say? We're all crap and half the team should mug off?
Well start with kone, alcaraz and McGeady. Also who gave extended long contracts to Howard, Barry and Naismith. Don't know what bothers me more the nonsense he talks or the way he has set the team up this season.

Well start with kone, alcaraz and McGeady. Also who gave extended long contracts to Howard, Barry and Naismith. Don't know what bothers me more the nonsense he talks or the way he has set the team up this season.
but thats the thing though. particurally with howard, barry, and naismith as they do have long contracts, what point is there in tearing them apart in public? People want us to sell off Howard but why would anyone give us money for a player torn apart in the media by the manager? As long as they're contracted to the club he's going to support them publicly. people are way too arsed by what managers say in the media

Would you? I'd rather he be honest and say that this season is not acceptable. I'd also appreciate not being told that Tony Hibbert is very important for us when he is absolutely crap.
yes I would considering I just said "I'd rather..." Hibbo doesn't even play so he obviously meant important in the dressing room. Also people take what is said in the media too seriously. I highly doubt he is happy we're in 11th and they've addressed it internally. What positives is there to slating everyone in the media besides telling supporters what they want to hear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back