Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first 10 games of the new season will define his near term future it,s as simple as that for me.

We want the Everton of season No 1 but can he deliver it? if he starts getting out his excuses before we have kicked a ball in anger next season then I think we will have our answer.

I'm wiping the slate clean and I'm going to support him 100% as we head into the new season. I'm hoping beyond hope he's learned some harsh lessons last season and can take us forward.

I don't think there's any point on us waiting to jump on him at the nearest opportunity. He's got a lot of faults that's easier to pick up when we are doing rubbish but let's hope last season was a one off.

I'm pretty sure he will be evaluating the pastseason himself and will be aware that there was a shift in the patience and support afforded to him from the fans. He has to hit the ground running and that will get us all right behind him and the team.

The first 10 games of the new season will define his near term future it,s as simple as that for me.

We want the Everton of season No 1 but can he deliver it? if he starts getting out his excuses before we have kicked a ball in anger next season then I think we will have our answer.

If we want the Everton of his first season we need to spend £20-30m net in this transfer window. Can't expect him to get us to 5th when teams around us are improving while we stand still.

If we want the Everton of his first season we need to spend £20-30m net in this transfer window. Can't expect him to get us to 5th when teams around us are improving while we stand still.

I agree that we need that much ideally but he got is 5th when we were seemingly standing still before didn't he?

Well we've sort of been standing still for about 20ish years really. Maybe more.

But in terms of spending, we pretty much stood still in the season we were playing dream footy. All the other teams around us went out and spent an absolute fortune in comparison.

I dont think that's the case.

A couple of positions being filled with the right signings can transform us. What was it, 19 times in the lead and we threw most of the points away? A good CB and a player who can provide the ammunition for Lukaku and we'll get near those top 5 places.

Shift Mirallas out and spend £10M on top of that and it could be all we need.

I dont think that's the case.

A couple of positions being filled with the right signings can transform us. What was it, 19 times in the lead and we threw most of the points away? A good CB and a player who can provide the ammunition for Lukaku and we'll get near those top 5 places.

Shift Mirallas out and spend £10M on top of that and it could be all we need.

If you sell Mirallas the most you'd get is about £15m. At that point we have £15m and our wide options consist of McGeady and Pienaar. You then need to get in two wide players alone for next season, never mind a creative player and a centre half.

We are not going to get top five, or even top six, without significant investment.

If you sell Mirallas the most you'd get is about £15m. At that point we have £15m and our wide options consist of McGeady and Pienaar. You then need to get in two wide players alone for next season, never mind a creative player and a centre half.

We are not going to get top five, or even top six, without significant investment.
Martinez doesn't use two out and out wide players. We could replace Mirallas with half his fee by retaining Lennon. McGeady is the option to turn to. Players like Pienaar, Osman Cleverley can play in a wide berth. Oviedo can be used further up the pitch too.

We could use a fair chunk of the Mirallas fee and add it to a £10M transfer pot to bring in a playmaker and CB. Loan deals can also be made use of.

£20M-£30M net spend is over-egging the pudding. I'd like to see it, but I think it's an overshoot regarding what would be needed to get a shot at 5th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back