Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair to Moyes, he had an outstanding eye for talent and took us back to near the top.

Look at the dealings Moyes did in his time.

Lescott 5m in 24m out
Fellaini 15m in 27m out

Can anybody say Martinez will be able to do anything even remotely like that.

Kone 6m in
And so on, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

His 2 "best" buys are Lukaku at 28m, a vastly inflated price and McCarthy at 12m, neither player will attract decent money upon sale.

My fear was all Moyes hard work in the transfer windows being undone by a relegation hunting tool, looks like my fears are coming to fruit.

Have heart Goat, you never know yet

Martinez will deservedly be held under more scrutiny next season though

We need to avoid going all RAWK over this and leaping between extremes on either side of the debate

So win the cup then?

Cos, Moyes got to the final like

He was one game away from being an Everton legend (And he would have been had we won that cup, make no mistake. He'd be eulogised)

If Martinez got to the Final and lost, I think you'd be a tad more generous, despite the fact that he has a much better team to work with than Moyes did back in 2009
That has to be the goal, yes. If Martinez gets 22 attempts to do it (which is what Moyes got) I'm sure he'll get us a domestic cup.

RM is developing his own team rather than continuing to manage a David Moyes team. We will have to wait and see how that works out for him.

Next season we need to see progress. We need to be able to see where his vision is taking us. We need to see that given time he can make us into a top four side or at least in a position where we fighting every year for that fourth place.

David Moyes was shown great patience at Everton by the board and fans alike. He did very well at Everton but had probably taken us as far as he could and certainly had gone stale in the last season or two. but he did turn us into a team that would nearly always be top eight or better. I think the way David Moyes had his team playing football that it probably never would be better than that.

RM is trying to do things in a different way and that is a risk for him and the club.

...let's just say that, unlike the humiliated ex Man Utd chief who crashed the English champions into a wall, Martinez knew how to use all the players properly.

Funny cos I recall seeing our 2 best players sitting on the bench week in, week out, Besic and Mirallas.

And that wall that Moyes crashed United into, just remind everybody who dragged United into 4th this season? Yep, thats right, Fellaini, a player bought by? Yep, you guessed it, David Moyes.

...let's just say that, unlike the humiliated ex Man Utd chief who crashed the English champions into a wall, Martinez knew how to use all the players properly.

Like dropping Robles for Howard? Playing Alcaraz instead of Stones in a must win game? Playing Barry in every game, despite him being in horrendous form? etc etc

I mean, even critising the manager with some invites you to the pitch forks and torches

We're all supposed to accept that David Moyes was crap and everything Martinez does is brilliant and that he's amazing and beyond reproach etc

I'm sorry, but that's just not going to work for me

When Martinez is deserving of praise, he shall get it

When he's deserving of critiscm, he shall get it

It's almost cultish the way some of the Pro Martinez brigade are

We all have a laugh at mod's shutting down threads on RAWK and people getting chased out of town for daring to criticise Brendan Rogers, but we've got a fair few on here who are the same way with Martinez (Not any of the mods thankfully, but certainly some posters will not allow any debate about Martinez whatsoever and are very quick to play the "you're a terrible and disloyal supporter" card if you have the temerity to suggest that maybe not everything Martinez does is fantastic)

Like dropping Robles for Howard? Playing Alcaraz instead of Stones in a must win game? Playing Barry in every game, despite him being in horrendous form? etc etc
...yes, but that squad had more of his own players. The point brought up earlier by Goat was that season one was with Moyes' players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back