Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm saying if the aim is Europe this year but everyone said 'thank feck we're out of Europe, it ruined our domestic campaign', why is Europe the aim?

I've heard that view but don't buy it mesenn. Europa didn't ruin our domestic, Martinez's naive management did.

Still deserves another go, deffo.

Because they don't like his incredibly boring and utterly negative football, and because some people don't agree that giving him time to build from 'Youth to Senior' will result in any sort of improvement. Rather, they are worried that affording him more time will result in us regressing and drifting further down the table.

Some games are boring some are not and that has always been the case over the last 20 years barring the season when RM took over. I know we won't regress if Martinez sticks to his ideals because football is the only way to improve. Might be a slow process but its the right way. Gone are the days of long ball football being successful (percentage football). I really don't give a stuff if we finish 12th or 7th because its neither here or there. He needs the time that others had to see if things click into place and if when he is in the final year of his contract we don't see any light at the end of the tunnel then its time to move him on. He is in search of players that can unlock stubborn defences and that has been our downfall this season because against teams that try to go toe to toe with us we fair better. Maybe I am an old softy wanting to give a manager a few years but my memory of Kendall serves me well.

Not arguing that, boss travels. I'm saying if the aim is Europe this year but everyone said 'thank feck we're out of Europe, it ruined our domestic campaign', why is Europe the aim?

The money that comes from higher leqgue placings.

Some games are boring some are not and that has always been the case over the last 20 years barring the season when RM took over. I know we won't regress if Martinez sticks to his ideals because football is the only way to improve. Might be a slow process but its the right way. Gone are the days of long ball football being successful (percentage football). I really don't give a stuff if we finish 12th or 7th because its neither here or there. He needs the time that others had to see if things click into place and if when he is in the final year of his contract we don't see any light at the end of the tunnel then its time to move him on. He is in search of players that can unlock stubborn defences and that has been our downfall this season because against teams that try to go toe to toe with us we fair better. Maybe I am an old softy wanting to give a manager a few years but my memory of Kendall serves me well.

We will have to agree to disagree mate. Heading is a fundamental part of football, it always has been and it always will be, and it isn't going anywhere at all. In 300 years time, football players will still be booting the ball up the pitch, there's nothing surer. Not only that, there is no way that I am going to accept that playing the ball from side to side in front of your own box is in any way more effective then a good ball up to a forward.

Not only is poncing about in front of your own box a dangerous, boring and ineffective style of football, but it also allows the opposition to get back and park the bus. You want to know how to get round parking the bus? You have to go direct! Otherwise you end up in a situation like we have been in this last season, being bored to tears watching us go absolutely nowhere other than side to side and backwards. The opposition are more than content to allow this crap, ineffective wank to take place. We are eating out of the palms of their hands when we employ this style.

I think three years is more than long enough to make a judgement, how many years do you want to give him, five years, 10 years? The difference between 7th and 12th is huge, not just in financial compensation but also in the quality of the season. Finishing 7th normally means you have won quite a lot more games than if you are finishing 12th. If 12th is an acceptable finish for you, then how crap do things need to get before you consider them unacceptable?

But that is in 5 years time, is it not. You want to wait that long?

But that is in 5 years time, is it not. You want to wait that long?
If I can suffer Smith and Moyes for that long then Martinez will be a doddle. I feel Martinez is trying to build something rather than be content to finish in the top half and sit back on his wages patting himself on the back, as they say fortune favours the brave and Martinez is no coward in how he approaches games. I would rather us fail trying to win rather than fail not trying to lose. Might not be pretty like last season but the season before was sexy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back