Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre season is my biggest worry with El Bobbo. First one was superb and that was set up under Moyes I believe ( not that he had a great record of us hitting the ground running ) but playing Juve, Madrid I think got the lads up and running.

Last season was an absolute farce for a Premier league club and I'm not comfortable with him saying tournaments play a huge part and it's a disadvantage because every 2 years there is a major tournament so we would be in crap street if what he says is true. All the ones in the world cup barely got anywhere of any significance anyway yet he had them so undercooked for the season it was criminal.

Hoping he's learned a big lesson from.last season as he's never publicly ever been pulled up on what a crap job he done pre season and it's always been about it was the world cups fault.

Yeah funny how nearly all of Mourinho's players went further in the World Cup then came back and played 4 comps winning two and going far in the other two. All of this and he didn't even change his first 11 that much. We had some players at the World Cup but most didn't play that much or go far yet it took us 3/4 of the season to get match fit and we threw away both cup competitions in the first round. Despite this Martinez the joker has just had a free pass because it was the World Cup year. He's already moaning about the next one saying its pushing the start of this season forward which is a challenge. It is one excuse after another and these spineless players will gladly lap them up.

Aye I get that mate, pertinent points. I remember at the time piping down those moaning about the pre season thinking we'd be sound but they were the ones who seen it.

Hopefully it won't be repeated. Better quality opposition and early buys to bed in needed. I remember the 2006/7 season benefitting from buying players and integrating them early. It's more difficult now with it being a good strategy to wait for the best price at the end of the window but hopefully we will get our business down early. And play some boss teams before the season kicks off.

Yep I said the same myself pre season Chico, I thought Bobby Brown Brogues had it sorted and was pacing them to perfection.

Early signings will help, I've snagged el Bobbo off since Stoke away but I'm giving him my full backing to sign some boss players I've never heard of and hopefully see us kick on. Bringing Deulofeu back for me woukd be a step in the right direction and his brogues can be renamed shoes once again.

Yeah funny how nearly all of Mourinho's players went further in the World Cup then came back and played 4 comps winning two and going far in the other two. All of this and he didn't even change his first 11 that much. We had some players at the World Cup but most didn't play that much or go far yet it took us 3/4 of the season to get match fit and we threw away both cup competitions in the first round. Despite this Martinez the joker has just had a free pass because it was the World Cup year. He's already moaning about the next one saying its pushing the start of this season forward which is a challenge. It is one excuse after another and these spineless players will gladly lap them up.

I used that word "spineless" so many times last year Saint and I'm hoping behind the scenes he's seen the error of his ways and will the right the wrongs. I think sometimes he speaks out of passion that much that it looks like he's taking the piss and I would like him to pipe down but last season would have been a great lesson in managing a top top top club and he won't be spared another season of mistakes like last season.

We will back him mate as we always do as fans and then it's all about him showing his talent as a manager to get the best out of the players. If he doesn't, we will have a new manager by November imo

I was actually thinking about the good seasons we've had when we went US preseason compared to ones where we didn't go that weren't so good. Players are creatures of habit and seem to take to the state's.

Just reading the excellent Harry Catterick book now.

The more I read about Catterick's predecessor, John Carey, the more it puts me in mind of Roberto: a gentleman, someone who encouraged the team to play good football and hoped the results followed.

Moyes, btw, sounds like Carey's predecessor, Ian Buchan: a clueless dour Scot.

Just reading the excellent Harry Catterick book now.

The more I read about Catterick's predecessor, John Carey, the more it puts me in mind of Roberto: a gentleman, someone who encouraged the team to play good football and hoped the results followed.

Moyes, btw, sounds like Carey's predecessor, Ian Buchan: a clueless dour Scot.

Wasnt Carey regarded as 1 of the worst managers in our history?

So yeah, I can defo see the link to El Fraudo.

David Moyes has his own place in Evertons history, he dragged the club from the bottom to the top, he made the fans believe again.

Wasnt Carey regarded as 1 of the worst managers in our history?

So yeah, I can defo see the link to El Fraudo.
No, he was a man who brought Everton kicking and screaming into the twentieth century by playing football instead of the kick and run and using forwards as battering rams they'd fallen into under managers like Britton and Buchan. He put together the team that won the club's first title since before WWII (one that Catterick barely added to in order to secure it).
...then he was sacked by that hare lipped gimp Moores.

No, he was a man who brought Everton kicking and screaming into the twentieth century by playing football instead of the kick and run and using forwards as battering rams they'd fallen into under managers like Britton and Buchan. He put together the team that won the club's first title since before WWII (one that Catterick barely added to in order to secure it).
...then he was sacked by that hare lipped gimp Moores.

He was a gimp who won nothing, sounds like Moyes to me lad, won nothing, set the foundation for somebody, the only difference is, we picked the wrong manager, we wanted a winner and we got a chump.

History will show, Vitor was the correct move.

And it sounds to me like your saying that Brenda set up Swansea for Martinez as well here.

He was a gimp who won nothing, sounds like Moyes to me lad, won nothing, set the foundation for somebody, the only difference is, we picked the wrong manager, we wanted a winner and we got a chump.

History will show, Vitor was the correct move.

And it sounds to me like your saying that Brenda set up Swansea for Martinez as well here.
Actually, it might well be that history repeats itself in that respect...which was what I was hinting at.

Martinez's historical task (as it turned out to be for Carey) may be to drag the club back toward its principles and away from the dour semi-agricultural play we'd slipped into in the last generation. He could be the stepping stone to a more dominant personality (as per Catterick) who can marry that style adjustment with some competitive steel.

Actually, it might well be that history repeats itself in that respect...which was what I was hinting at.

Martinez's historical task (as it turned out to be for Carey) may be to drag the club back toward its principles and away from the dour semi-agricultural play we'd slipped into in the last generation. He could be the stepping stone to a more dominant personality (as per Catterick) who can marry that style adjustment with some competitive steel.

We played better football in every single 1 of Moyes seasons than they we did last season.

Thats an utter fact.

And nearly crying at you calling Martinez a dominant personality, everytime he talks he reminds me of a little weasel.

He 100% got bullied in School.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back