Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's fair to say that Martinez is playing a blinder so far in this summer's transfer market.

As well as a future transfer fee secured for Garbutt, he's moved to bring in an industrious player like Cleverley who has bags of experience at the top level; an inspirational player like Deulofeu; a youngster like Henen looks a good possibility now and will underline further his intent to restructure an ageing squad by adding him to Galloway, Barkley Stones. And he's obviously got irons in the fire with regard to a CB and playmaker. If he gets those last two in before the bulk of the pre-season games start then we're in good shape.
He's doing OK so far but that atrocity of a goalkeeper needs sorting

We thought we had played a blinder last summer then fell flat on our faces. I'll reserve judgement like has been said til after 10 games have passed but he's done alright so far. We really need a top playmaker signing though as so far our two signings are a squad player and kid with big potential. Need someone who like Lukaku and McCarthy can come in and make a big impact to the first team.

It's fair to say that Martinez is playing a blinder so far in this summer's transfer market.

As well as a future transfer fee secured for Garbutt, he's moved to bring in an industrious player like Cleverley who has bags of experience at the top level; an inspirational player like Deulofeu; a youngster like Henen looks a good possibility now and will underline further his intent to restructure an ageing squad by adding him to Galloway, Barkley Stones. And he's obviously got irons in the fire with regard to a CB and playmaker. If he gets those last two in before the bulk of the pre-season games start then we're in good shape.

spot on.

no mention of outgoings though.......

also realistically we need to replace kone in the squad.

I'll say this for Martinez he has assembled, prompted and nurtured some mercurial talents!

Barkley
Stones
Delefou
Lukaku

For those of us brought up Walter Smith it's nice to see the development of possible raw world class talent, in 10 years time we will be amazed that all four of those played in the same Everton team.

Yes and we'll all be scratching our heads how a team containing those players achieved jack all.

He's one of the worst posters on here.

Hardly mate, get over your hissy fit and actually look at my posting history which is generally positive. It's not a crime though to dislike Roberto Martinez. We've had the core of the players you mentioned for two seasons now and have nothing to show for it. We could maybe keep them for another two seasons before the transfer vultures poach some of them, so basically all I'm doing is hedging my bets that we might not win anything in the next two years (I don't want this to be the case, I want us to win everything, but could well happen). Hardly a preposterous claim seeing as we haven't won anything in 25. Seems as though if you say anything negative though no matter how true it is you get negged and called the worst poster on the forum. Ok mate.

In the real world we had all those players except for Deulofeu last season and we came 11th. They look good on paper and could potentially be good players but currently they are not even showing up (Stones aside). If 'supporting' means being a deluded blind optimist then fair enough.

My point remains that an assembly of all these good young players should yield a trophy in the near future. Based on experience of the last few years I'm suggesting it probably won't. Why is this so ridiculous? I'd wager there'd be quite a few people on here who might well think the same. Doesn't mean I want this to be the case, I don't, I want us to win the title next season, doesn't make me the worst poster on the forum though if I admit it's not going to happen.

Hardly mate, get over your hissy fit and actually look at my posting history which is generally positive. It's not a crime though to dislike Roberto Martinez. We've had the core of the players you mentioned for two seasons now and have nothing to show for it. We could maybe keep them for another two seasons before the transfer vultures poach some of them, so basically all I'm doing is hedging my bets that we might not win anything in the next two years (I don't want this to be the case, I want us to win everything, but could well happen). Hardly a preposterous claim seeing as we haven't won anything in 25. Seems as though if you say anything negative though no matter how true it is you get negged and called the worst poster on the forum. Ok mate.

In the real world we had all those players except for Deulofeu last season and we came 11th. They look good on paper and could potentially be good players but currently they are not even showing up (Stones aside). If 'supporting' means being a deluded blind optimist then fair enough.

My point remains that an assembly of all these good young players should yield a trophy in the near future. Based on experience of the last few years I'm suggesting it probably won't. Why is this so ridiculous? I'd wager there'd be quite a few people on here who might well think the same. Doesn't mean I want this to be the case, I don't, I want us to win the title next season, doesn't make me the worst poster on the forum though if I admit it's not going to happen.

Well you can forget about us winning anything if the fans go into next season with that attitude.

You're perfectly entitled to feel that way mate... not having a go, but it's just counterproductive.

There's two scenarios:
1) Fans attitude towards the team matters.
Negative crowds cause the team to get nervous, make mistakes... play worse. The attitude translates into the team doing worse than they should. i.e. your action are working in opposition to your goals
2) Fans attitude towards the team doesn't matter.
If this is the case then being negative about the team is just causing yourself stress for nowt. So why bother, just enjoy the ride and see what happens.

On the Martinez front, I would severely doubt Deulofeu and Lukaku would be anywhere near this club if he wasn't the manager so it's a moot point about them under performing under him. Without him, we wouldn't have those players.

Well you can forget about us winning anything if the fans go into next season with that attitude.

You're perfectly entitled to feel that way mate... not having a go, but it's just counterproductive.

There's two scenarios:
1) Fans attitude towards the team matters.
Negative crowds cause the team to get nervous, make mistakes... play worse. The attitude translates into the team doing worse than they should. i.e. your action are working in opposition to your goals
2) Fans attitude towards the team doesn't matter.
If this is the case then being negative about the team is just causing yourself stress for nowt. So why bother, just enjoy the ride and see what happens.

On the Martinez front, I would severely doubt Deulofeu and Lukaku would be anywhere near this club if he wasn't the manager so it's a moot point about them under performing under him. Without him, we wouldn't have those players.

Fair enough I agree with your points and I never take a negative attitude to the match. 40,000 people bounced into Goodison at the start of last season everyone of them behind the team and manager and it made zero difference. The crowd turned after traditional support seemed to be going unheeded by players or management.

The whole thing just begs the wider question. We have probably Everton's two best ever premier league centrebacks. We have Everton's two best ever premier league full backs (up there with best in our history). We have Everton's best ever premier league striker upfront (Rooney not included). Then we have two young midfielders valued at over 30 mill each in midfield. We also have a Belgian international on one flank. Yet we came 11th in a league which only really has 7 decent sides. The answer to why this is is not fan negativity or squad size. Having the likes of Distin, Oviedo, Mcgeady, Osman Naismith Robles Garbutt Besic kicking their heels is not a weak bench. The blame lies solely at the manager. Some people want to ignore this, that's fine. I'm pointing out that even though he brought some of those players here, does he know how to use them?

Fair enough I agree with your points and I never take a negative attitude to the match. 40,000 people bounced into Goodison at the start of last season everyone of them behind the team and manager and it made zero difference. The crowd turned after traditional support seemed to be going unheeded by players or management.

The whole thing just begs the wider question. We have probably Everton's two best ever premier league centrebacks. We have Everton's two best ever premier league full backs (up there with best in our history). We have Everton's best ever premier league striker upfront (Rooney not included). Then we have two young midfielders valued at over 30 mill each in midfield. We also have a Belgian international on one flank. Yet we came 11th in a league which only really has 7 decent sides. The answer to why this is is not fan negativity or squad size. Having the likes of Distin, Oviedo, Mcgeady, Osman Naismith Robles Garbutt Besic kicking their heels is not a weak bench. The blame lies solely at the manager. Some people want to ignore this, that's fine. I'm pointing out that even though he brought some of those players here, does he know how to use them?

I honestly believe you will be pleasantly surprised this season mate. Despite the fact that last season was terrible... the previous season was our best ever in the premier league.

If nothing else you can look at this season as a coin flip and we all might as well be glass half empty folks (especially when doing good transfer business).

For me, I expect this season to be the best in my living memory (was born in '86 so can't remember the glory days). I really think Roberto is a fantastic manager and last season was an anomaly. I could be proven wrong but I hope not. For now, I'm just excited about the coming season.

COYB!

If there's one thing that you can learn from looking at clubs' historical league positions, it's that blip years (either particularly good or bad) can have absolutely no bearing on the next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back