Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We drew those first two games because we weren't fit, the shambolic pre season was down to the manager.

He increased the age of the squad with his signings so that's a total no go as far as an excuse

He brought three young players into the team - Lukaku, McCarthy and Stones - and one older player - Barry.

I'd say that he reduced the age of the team.

Did he? Or did the average age of the squad get higher, because, err, some players got older? Genuine question....

Brought Barkley, Stones and potentially Garbutt and Galloway through to the squad.

Signed McCarthy, Besic, Lukaku and likely Deulofeu.

Martinez is taking us right to the pensions office, here.

Brought Barkley, Stones and potentially Garbutt and Galloway through to the squad.

Signed McCarthy, Besic, Lukaku and likely Deulofeu.

Martinez is taking us right to the pensions office, here.

No mate. It's his signings that did it. Not the fact that 15 players will generally make the squad an average age of 15 years older per season, regardless of whether they're 18 0r 38.

Yes, Mourinho was more successful last season. We should sign him and give him the same resources here as he has at Chelsea.

Not the point I was making at all. If Martinez behaved like Mourinho last season we'd still be behind Chelsea because they've got a better team but no way would we be 11th. My point is that top managers, like Mourinho, don't do what Martinez did last season. Mourinho is exhibiting a set of behaviours that are conducive towards success, Ferguson displayed similar. Martinez did not show any of these last season.

He brought three young players into the team - Lukaku, McCarthy and Stones - and one older player - Barry.

I'd say that he reduced the age of the team.

Let's look at the squad Moyes left though. The older players would have been (off the top of my head) Jagielka 30, Distin 35, Howard 32, Baines 28, Hibbert, Osman 30, Pienaar 31.

Give or take a year on a couple of those ages but in and of itself it's not that bad a group of old players to leave behind (bearing in mind Hibbert wasn't first choice). You can argue as well Moyes had replacements in mind, Stones was bought, Oviefo and Garbutt in place, Barkley starting to get more starts.

It's not his fault that 2 years later these players haven't been replaced. Osman and Pienaar succumbed to injury but not replaced, Howard's lost his reactions but not replaced, Distin has finally been replaced but Baines is now the wrong side of 30 like Jagielka (although both still good -for now). Martinez then supplemented this with Kone Etoo Barry and Alcaraz. It is a complete myth that he inherited an old squad. He inherited an experienced squad with a core of players coming towards the end of their prime. It is Martinez who added even older players to this and continued to rely too heavily on what should now be squad players. To his credit he's also bought young players but some of the stats last season about oldest outfield 11 are completely down to him and nothing to do with Moyes.

MOST of those were soft tissue injuries which, if memory serves me right, Martinez said he doesnt believe in them, if someone gets one than someone else messed up with.

A look at the injury list shows that the majority were not soft tissue injuries. For example;

"Leighton had a little bit of instability in his ankle and in the last two weeks it flared up and against Sunderland the pain he was having was intolerable," said manager Roberto Martinez.

Roberto Martinez says it is too soon to know how long Darron Gibson will be sidelined after the midfielder suffered a small fracture to the fifth metatarsal of his foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back