Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A professional physio coach with years of top level premiership experience fell out with martinez last season , martinez thought he knew better and got rid.

A professional football player with years of top level premiership experience fell out with martinez over the football tactics last season, martinez thought he knew better and got rid.

2 issues from last season , the fitness/injuries were shocking and the standard of football being played was unwatchable and unsupportable more often than not. The 2 people who were sacrificed by martinez were right.

Martinez was backed by the board financially and probably had our most talented squad at his disposal.

So for me any failure or success isnt currently down to money or players , its down to the manager , his philosophy and how he runs the team.
Exactly we have IMO the most talented group of players since the 80s. Forget all excuses about post World Cup fatigue, Europa league etc. The standard of football was at times as bad as the smith era. This with a squad that didn't have the likes of Paul Gerrard, alexandersson, gemill, joe max Moore in it. The manager failed to get the best out of a talented group of players. It takes a lot to finish in the bottom half of the league with that squad, whilst the likes of stoke, palace and Southampton finished above us.

Exactly we have IMO the most talented group of players since the 80s. Forget all excuses about post World Cup fatigue, Europa league etc. The standard of football was at times as bad as the smith era. This with a squad that didn't have the likes of Paul Gerrard, alexandersson, gemill, joe max Moore in it. The manager failed to get the best out of a talented group of players. It takes a lot to finish in the bottom half of the league with that squad, whilst the likes of stoke, palace and Southampton finished above us.

agree with the above just hope we hold the Stones money back for the new guy in charge come Christmas

agree with the above just hope we hold the Stones money back for the new guy in charge come Christmas

Don't get this point of view at all, and that's coming from someone who doesn't expect Martinez to last much longer. Why not reserve hope that we're wrong and Everton won't need a new manager come Christmas?

I think it's incredibly unlikely. If Stones is sold we need to reinvest immediately.
Not bothered about the what ifs TBH mate, fact is if we are not on 22+ points after 18 games then he has to go. Or do you not agree as its cool to back the manager?

Naismith, Cleverley, Kone, Osman, McGeady, Howard plus pretty much untested youngsters like Garbutt, Browning, McAleny, Galloway. That's a fair chunk of the players we can turn to who you cant throw into the category 'most talented players since the 80s'.

Not bothered about the what ifs TBH mate, fact is if we are not on 22+ points after 18 games then he has to go. Or do you not agree as its cool to back the manager?

I wanted to neg him cause he wants to hold the money from the Stones sale. I root for Everton, not against the manager. He has my full support at this time...if the sale is to go through then we must reinvest.

You say you're not bothered by what if's yet you want me to answer a what if. You were probably one of the whoppers who were calling for his head after we drew our first three games under Martinez.

Last edited:

I wanted to neg him cause he wants to hold the money from the Stones sale. I root for Everton, not against the manager. He has my full support at this time...if the sale is to go through then we must reinvest.

You say you're not bothered by what if's yet you want me to answer a what if. You were probably one of the whoppers who were calling for his head after we drew our first three games under Martinez.
I was, as I saw what was coming, less of the band calling please. Our gaffer has found his level.

This 'the squad isn't actually that good' narrative is a softening up exercise in preparation for any poor form to be immediately pounced upon and sold as 'it's not Martinez's fault it's the players'.

The truth is that if we don't add our targets in the next three weeks or so we're in terrible shape and going to have a much worse season. That's almost guaranteed because we'll be focussing on one game per week like all our non-CL rivals.

Naismith, Cleverley, Kone, Osman, McGeady, Howard plus pretty much untested youngsters like Garbutt, Browning, McAleny, Galloway. That's a fair chunk of the players we can turn to who you cant throw into the category 'most talented players since the 80s'.

Damn plotters out in force already eh.

I'll rephrase it then Coleman, stones, baines, jags, McCarthy, mccarthy, miralles, Barkley and lukaku is a good as starting 11 as we have had since the 80s.
Didn't remember too many teams since the 80s were so many of our top players have be wanted by other teams. I agree with the players you've mentioned but not the ones I've stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back