Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He never played it unless we were looking for an equalizer and he didn't play it in pre-season either before Deulofeu's injury.

There's absolutely no reason to think it would fall on it's arse. It's a 4-3-3 the most popular formation in modern football not some untried new way of playing.

When Utd won the league with Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo which one of them was the "playmaker"? None of them. They're all direct players who will also create for each other the same way Deulofeu, Mirallas and Rom get a decent amount of assists each season.
Hes played the 433 in most of the preseason matches, whether he plays it come the first game of the season is yet to be seen though

He never played it unless we were looking for an equalizer and he didn't play it in pre-season either before Deulofeu's injury.

There's absolutely no reason to think it would fall on it's arse. It's a 4-3-3 the most popular formation in modern football not some untried new way of playing.

When Utd won the league with Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo which one of them was the "playmaker"? None of them. They're all direct players who will also create for each other the same way Deulofeu, Mirallas and Rom get a decent amount of assists each season.
Playing those three: which one(s) can drop back and make a difference when we're under pressure?

Really? Not 4-2-3-1?

Disclaimer: I don't really pay attention to what's happening on the continent. Really only follow the Prem and MLS.

They had Scholes and Carrick threading through balls everywhere to a ridiculous front three. All of that was based on the best back 5 in the league. I don't think we have the midfield or defence to play in a manner where Deulofeu or Mirallas can just focus on attacking.
We have Cleverly and Barkley and a decent defense and holding midfielder in McCarthy. Barkley has hit a number of really good long through balls already this preseason.

A 4-3-3 would work. Well it would work better than having Osman or Naismith in the team.

Playing those three: which one(s) can drop back and make a difference when we're under pressure?
Both of them would need to in that formation. Well the one who plays on the right if the ball if the opposition is attacking down our right and vice versa.

Hes played the 433 in most of the preseason matches, whether he plays it come the first game of the season is yet to be seen though
He didn't really because he never played with two wingers. He always had an Osman, Naismith or McAleny playing on the left. The only tweak he has made is pushing McCarthy further forward to make a 4-1-4-1.

He didn't really because he never played with two wingers. He always had an Osman, Naismith or McAleny playing on the left. The only tweak he has made is pushing McCarthy further forward to make a 4-1-4-1.
He plays it with one winger and 2 strikers, either Kone or Naismith pushed wide. But the general set up has been 3 in midfield and 3 forward in majority of the matches

We can all see a few of the signing have not worked but all worth a try ... Mcgeady can be class on his day - sadly that is not often enough . Kone I thought was also worth a try as looked good for Wigan .. Alcaraz we know is gone and Robles will be ok as well ... The part Roberto needs to address is seeing these things sooner and dealing with them sooner ...Ego needs to go out of the window and stop the silly defending of poor performances ... Understand up to last couple of games why he has persisted with Kone but game is up now and must end ... Address this and Roberto will be a better manager and we will be a better team !

We have Cleverly and Barkley and a decent defense and holding midfielder in McCarthy. Barkley has hit a number of really good long through balls already this preseason.

A 4-3-3 would work. Well it would work better than having Osman or Naismith in the team.
When, he played 1 yesterday what naismith didnt control and one against i think arsenal, apart from that hes give it away so much

I'm sure we were playing 4-1-4-1 yesterday with McCarthy being the holding DM and Naismith the lone striker. IMO neither of then are suited for those respective roles. It didn't work yesterday as Villareal really gained the upper hand when we used this formation and seemed to break thrugh the midfield four effortlessly.

Agreed I think it would work if we had hard working wingers. If Lennon came in I think him with Mirallas/Deulofeu would be alright. The United model had one of Berbatov or Ronaldo not really doing much work. I don't think we have a player good enough to carry without everyone working defensively.

If Roberto can get Deulofeu and Mirallas tracking back and a midfield that can supply them ammunition then it would work.

You don't know how Martinez comes out of this as the bad guy. The vast majority had serious concerns about paying 6m for a striker many deemed not good enough for EFC. This was before his injury. I'm sorry I blame the manager fully for it as he signed him, likewise I'll praise him for acquiring James McCarthy.

If Kone hadn't been injured, he might have been worth 6 million. The injured ended all that. But you think Martinez is responsible? For not foreseeing the injury that meant he wouldn't get value for the money?

He plays it with one winger and 2 strikers, either Kone or Naismith pushed wide. But the general set up has been 3 in midfield and 3 forward in majority of the matches
Exactly it's sort of like a lopsided 4-4-2 in the sense that Naismith drifts over to double up with Rom and we overload the center and right hand side and use Baines for the width on the left. In theory gives us an extra man in midfield which we use as an extra defender while still having two up top. In practice they just seem to get in each other's way.

I think it's the reason we were so successful in our first season. It was different but people have learnt to play against it. It's the same as playing Rom on the wing and Naismith as a false 9. It worked once beautifully but hasn't worked since and it was laughable last time in the Asia cup playing 3 DCM because Wenger saw it coming and just didn't play any holding midfielders.

Which is the problem with Martinez in a nutshell. He has a few tricks but when they are found out it takes him ages to correct it. I honestly think he's over-thinking things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back