Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't change his style of play until Kone came on. He's often changed style with 20 to go, and only when we're behind, which has been often recently.

So he does change his style?

At times we've gone counter-attacking (United home, Wolfsburg away) and defensive (the last two derbies). From Newcastle (H) last season we were much more direct, basically playing 4-4-1-1 or 4-1-4-1. He's also experimented with 3-5-1-1 (city home 13-14)

He does change his style, I just personally thinks he desires a style for which his players cannot always fit

Don't swear
You can rib the crap out of me but if we were talking a change of manager I'd have Redknapp at the top of my alternatives, yeah he's a dodgy Kunt, but he knows how to manage players and knows how to play attacking football.

He'd do well here, he's got a great set of players to work with, I love Bobby as a bloke, but he's got a great squad here and it's going to waste under him.

You can rib the crap out of me but if we were talking a change of manager I'd have Redknapp at the top of my alternatives, yeah he's a dodgy Kunt, but he knows how to manage players and knows how to play attacking football.

He'd do well here, he's got a great set of players to work with, I love Bobby as a bloke, but he's got a great squad here and it's going to waste under him.
eyes.gif

400 more passes than Watford, yet fewer shots. Work that one out !!

That stat tells you all you need to know for me. Too god damn predictable, too god damn slow, too god damn static.

I've said it before but we do actually have players at the club that are capable of slotting the killer pass, we do. We just don't move at all for the players to execute it or even attempt to. 400 more passes than your opposition but fewer efforts on goal and less dangerous. The way we play now has become a habit and its poisonous.

400 more passes than Watford, yet fewer shots. Work that one out !!

That stat tells you all you need to know for me. Too god damn predictable, too god damn slow, too god damn static.

I've said it before but we do actually have players at the club that are capable of slotting the killer pass, we do. We just don't move at all for the players to execute it or even attempt to. 400 more passes than your opposition but fewer efforts on goal and less dangerous. The way we play now has become a habit and its poisonous.
Och, just think how many more shots/goals Watford would have had if we weren't fannying around with all that possession.

we started slow, but we did try to get it forward a lot more than last season. There was just never anyone in the box when we got it there or it was just bouncing of a static Rom. Rom has got to do better, too many times just stood there waiting for a ball which was then either cut out or passed 2-3 yards away. It was only when Kone came on that we had a target in there to aim at that would actually fight to get on the end of it.

Och, just think how many more shots/goals Watford would have had if we weren't fannying around with all that possession.

we started slow, but we did try to get it forward a lot more than last season. There was just never anyone in the box when we got it there or it was just bouncing of a static Rom. Rom has got to do better, too many times just stood there waiting for a ball which was then either cut out or passed 2-3 yards away. It was only when Kone came on that we had a target in there to aim at that would actually fight to get on the end of it.
I've been saying it for months that lukaku is too static and doesn't move. I can't figure out whether it's because he's a lazy get, he's simply not intelligent enough or whether he's instructed not to. Surely can't be the latter, surely ... but with martinez, who knows.

It's why we are dithering with the ball and get caught out in possession. There is simply nothing on and it's all too easy to defend.

I'm rapidly losing patience

The commentator nailed it today - every time Everton slow the pace down and pass sideways and/or backwards, the opposition simply regain their position and we're easy to defend against.

That won't be news to absolutely anyone, but when you get commentators on US television pointing out the bleeding obvious yet our highly paid manager keeps doing the same damn thing week in week out then it tells its' own story.

We're not playing good football by holding possession in stupid areas and doing nothing with it in good areas - it's poor football as you aren't presenting a consistent danger to the opposition goal.

I badly want to be wrong about Martinez but I don't see any way that I am - we've been figured out by everyone in how we play and we're consistently one of the easiest teams to defend against and counter attack in the entire league. There's no X factor in what we do.

Whilst there is definitely an issue with his tactics (particularly the whole playing two defensive midfielders thing and perhaps not playing two up front at times), you have to admit that it took some proper balls from the manager to bring Koné on. I couldn't believe it at the time and it seemed like neither could 30 odd thousand other Evertonians in the ground.

Whilst there is definitely an issue with his tactics (particularly the whole playing two defensive midfielders thing and perhaps not playing two up front at times), you have to admit that it took some proper balls from the manager to bring Koné on. I couldn't believe it at the time and it seemed like neither could 30 odd thousand other Evertonians in the ground.

Well, not really! He does the same thing every game and nine times out of ten it falls flat on its' arse. He did nothing new today as a manager - same old same old in that he kept two defensive midfielders on to the end, played one winger and threw on an emergency striker; all of which done after the golden rule of not changing anything before the 60 minute mark which he dare not break.

Was much better the second half, we're crossing it a whole lot more this season, just wish rom would attack the penalty area, he holds back or drifts wide too often at times

I've been saying it for months that lukaku is too static and doesn't move. I can't figure out whether it's because he's a lazy get, he's simply not intelligent enough or whether he's instructed not to. Surely can't be the latter, surely ... but with martinez, who knows.

It's why we are dithering with the ball and get caught out in possession. There is simply nothing on and it's all too easy to defend.

I'm rapidly losing patience
it's when you seen Coleman/Kev etc actually beat their man, get to the byline and whip a cross in and you see Rom slowly jogging into the box then pulling up around the pen spot because he's not going to get there. He's often the 3rd-4th of our players to get in there for a cross.

He needs to realise he's there to get to the ball first and score, its not even as if he's contributing to the build up much. There was a few times today when a player got free and punted the ball though to him but instead of following the ball behind the defence he was coming short to collect it and seeing it sail over his head. Don't know if he's missed a lot of the kickarounds because of his heavy legs and has lost all sharpness but he just seems to be a little out of sync with the rest of the team when they actually do get around to trying to feed him ball.

I thought it was the obvious thing to do, I called for it at half time, Lukaku was crying out for someone up there with him for support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back