Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha if I could rep you I would, posted what I was thinking so many times in this thread.

Some people in this thread must just enjoy sitting through rubbish football matches and Everton playing football that at times is painful to watch.

People saying its only 1 game in, like he started from a clean slate or something today. Nothing has changed since last season and nor will it with the phenomenal array of central midfielders he shoe horns in to the side. I'm amazed Lukaku isn't begging to leave, complrtely isolated in this system and being forced to play injured cos the manager spent most of the Summer telling everyone Kone still has a lot to offer before u-turning on the eve of the season to say we needed a striker. Ironically enough Kone scored and looked the best he has for us.

Cleverly could be a decent signing for us if he plays central but he's never a wide player.

Martinez system has been sussed out, he needs to change it if he wants to keep his job.

So who will make way in the future for Clevers to come inside, Barry, Barkley, McCarthy? What if he does sign Shaqiri, who makes way then?

New signings are one thing, but regardless of the XI we field we play the same dross.

Are you telling me that if he gets the players he wants he's going to change his 'philosophy'?

We have to wait and see.

The same thing happened with Moyes. How many last minute buys and January window transfers gave us a kick in the arse?

His passing philosophy can work, it just needs to be faster and more purpose. The idea that this mythical number 10 will help is quite bizzare; even the greatest of players struggle to breakdown a stubbourn back 8. We need to move the ball quicker with more purpose, the fact we take so long to move the ball forward allows the opposition to just get behind the ball and it becomes frustating, the crowd get annoyed and so do the players.

The isolation of Lukaku is baffling, the lad thrives on his power and pace running at defenders, why the ball isn't played in behind for him to be a beast is pure stupidity.

It has to be RM's tactics cannot think of anything else.

I just don't get it. Why have two defensive midfielders on the pitch at home to Watford if they can't stop a goal like the first we conceded? Either one should be making a block or clearance there - it's the edge of our box ffs, that's the space they should be dominating.

So who will make way in the future for Clevers to come inside, Barry, Barkley, McCarthy? What if he does sign Shaqiri, who makes way then?

You don't need Barry in a game like today. That player is supposed to help out defensively but also show for the defence and take the ball from them and advance play. Gibson is great at this but always injured. Cleverly could fulfill this role against a side like Watford.

Shaqiri has played as a wide midfielder for a lot of his career. If he signs I fully expect him to play there. If he was to play central I'd drop Ross back as his whole game is advancing with the ball using his power with the game ahead of him.

But every game is different, you can set the side up to play the system that best suits.

As @nsno-chris said, the play needs to be far quicker, and without Barry there is a chance it could be. It also needs to go forward more with movement and pace. Give ourselves a chance. As soon as you go for the simple sideways pass, the opposition is already back in position and you need real quality to break them down. Martinez is great at setting up a side to retain possession but its goals that win you games.

You don't need Barry in a game like today. That player is supposed to help out defensively but also show for the defence and take the ball from them and advance play. Gibson is great at this but always injured. Cleverly could fulfill this role against a side like Watford.

Shaqiri has played as a wide midfielder for a lot of his career. If he signs I fully expect him to play there. If he was to play central I'd drop Ross back as his whole game is advancing with the ball using his power with the game ahead of him.

But every game is different, you can set the side up to play the system that best suits.

As @nsno-chris said, the play needs to be far quicker, and without Barry there is a chance it could be. It also needs to go forward more with movement and pace. Give ourselves a chance. As soon as you go for the simple sideways pass, the opposition is already back in position and you need real quality to break them down. Martinez is great at setting up a side to retain possession but its goals that win you games.

Just pointing out a new player is signed and played in shall we say out of position, but the manager has shown clearly in the past his reluctance to drop Barry, McCarthy so if some one else comes what is going to give. We seem to be collecting midfielders as though they are going to be in short supply.

All depends on our signings and midfield selections to if Martinez will stay or be sacked imo.

If he brings in good signings like Shaqiri, Austin etc. ALONGSIDE punting this 2 Defensive Midfielder and 1 winger system I think we can get back to 2 seasons ago.

If not and we stick to Barry/Mccarthy with 1 winger in the side I can't see anything else than him getting the sack. I hope he succeeds but it really is down to him it's in his hands.

Sign a couple of good 'uns, get an injury free squad and play the best in form players with two up front and we'll be totally sound.

I fear none of that will happen sadly, and I'm usually upbeat when it comes to Everton (ironically).

The Barry issue, if we do sign someone it'll be interesting if he's dropped considering what i was told last year about his contract. See if its true or not

The tempo at which we play and try to break teams down when we have they ball and they basically have 2 banks of 5 is a joke. It doesn't and won't work against anyone in the league, as we seen last season and this game.

There was a point during the first half when Watford just stopped pressing us, Troy Deeney was actually shouting at his players to let our back 4 play the ball between themselves and Barry.

They [Poor language removed] themselves when they get pressed but then are so slow and do [Poor language removed] all with it when they have time and space.

Just pointing out a new player is signed and played in shall we say out of position, but the manager has shown clearly in the past his reluctance to drop Barry, McCarthy so if some one else comes what is going to give. We seem to be collecting midfielders as though they are going to be in short supply.

Sorry mate if I misunderstood your post.

I totally agree, we has so many central midfielders its untrue. And they're not all that different from each other either. Average athletes, average size and shape, or below average in a few cases. Barkley apart there isn't enough variety in that regard never mind the technical ability which Cleverly, Barkley and Osman apart doesn't lent itself to a technique based game.

Sign a couple of good 'uns, get an injury free squad and play the best in form players with two up front and we'll be totally sound.

I fear none of that will happen sadly, and I'm usually upbeat when it comes to Everton (ironically).
I'm always upbeat, every game no matter what, but Martinez has over this last year sapped the positive vibe right out of me.

I was gutted watching us play today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back