Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was McAleny on the bench yesterday?
Surely he could have been given 15 minutes at the end to set up a couple and score one.

I think by the Redknapp shouts, nobody is talking about his transfer dealings or how he goes about his short-term bullshit.

But his teams actually play incisive football and create chances etc, you know, stuff we should be doing....

This is correct. We'd be playing more attractive, winning football under redknapp this season. He'd go out and get 2 or 3 very good players to slot into this team/squad and we'd have a very good season I have no doubt.

Going forward in future seasons we'd decline and money would dwindle away as he couldn't keep buying the players for "now" as we don't have the finances to do that. The youth setup would decline as time went by.

Hes not the right manager for us Although he's a good manager. Bobby's got the right ideas, unfortunately I just don't think he's quite good enough. Time will tell.

We're just too flat all the time.

This is going to be nerdy as hell but just to illustrate what I mean...

2rfem4w.jpg

That is how we basically went today - two deep defensive midfielders, which in theory means your full backs operate as wingers and your two wide attacking players cut in when the wing backs overlap to make a three in the box with the supporting attacking midfielder just outside the box.

That's all fine when it works, but you do all that at pace or its' easy to defend against as you stop the space out wide and they're forced to turn around and go sideways. That's the problem we've been having - everyone figured out Baines and Coleman and we don't have the imagination to come up with something else.

Baines was out today - so why didn't we try something like the below?

1rcf34.jpg

To explain that, you keep Galloway back as a normal left back, have Mirallas operate as a 'normal' winger on that side. Then on the right keep things the way we usually do - Coleman wing back, Cleverley cutting in.

Then you only need one defensive midfielder as the left side should always have cover as Galloway isn't bombing on as much, so you'd just play Barry deep, McCarthy as a box to box a bit further forward, Barkley drops a 5 yards deeper to link up and Lukaku plays on the shoulder of the last man, as the majority of your play should be through McCarthy/Barkley to feet or out wide with Mirallas/Coleman.

It'd just make it more asymmetrical and unpredictable. I'm not saying it'd work - I'm not a football manager obviously and I could be cluelessly wrong - but surely thinking something like that as a possibility at least would see us have a manager like the Martinez vs. Arsenal (where he moved Lukaku to the wing and we dominated) instead of the insipid version of Martinez who seems to have forgotten what to do.

So what you're saying is we have to penetrate more?

Go all in ?

We're as neuter (don't know if it's a proper word :D) as the likes of Sunderland and Newcastle (from last season). I have some doubts it will change after one transfer (CB and ST supossed to be backups). If we don't have the money, then Martinez with his stubbornes is not a good fit for us. He should go somewhere where he's freely able to buy players who fits his style. We need to have someone much more flexible. We have enough good players to play some good football with decent results - they're not at fault he's setting them up to play in a certain way. If it was all about the players his role would be just to tell them to go for a win.

I'm obviously not a football manager, but it's obvious that the likes of Barkley and Lukaku are not fullfiling their potential in this team. And it's again not their fault.

Maybe we'll be fine with his philosophy in few years and we need to be patient, but it hurts to watch Everton in this state. I know he has a vision about the club as a whole, but he needs to fix something short-term in order to build long term. I don't think his plan is a good one, as it's hurting club and fans. Maybe we'll get benefits in future, but we shouldn't sacrifice results in order to achieve that.

If it's not working - change it and back to it when you have a proper personnel. Is it really that hard?

I have a questions for those of us who still think Martinez is the man to manage Everton. Look at the Watford team, or some of the teams that beat us last year, look at their players and work out how many of them would replace the players we have, both in our club and at international level.
If you come to the same conclusion as I do, which is player for player we are much better than these teams, tell me what is it that makes us so poor ?

Movement is our problem going forward, we have non so we are easy for defenders to pick up, this leaves no space. The few times players make angles runs we usually create a chance. More intelligent movement (making angled runs to create space for others) and moving the ball quicker, we have the squad to be a very good side. I also think midfield roles need adjusting.

All these 'it's only 1 game' shouts are a nonsense, yesterday was the 14th time in the past 20 home league games we have failed to secure the three points. Then when you add into the mix our next 8-9 games, I'm fairly certain we will be 15th or lower once we hit the 10 game barrier.

We're as neuter (don't know if it's a proper word :D) as the likes of Sunderland and Newcastle (from last season). I have some doubts it will change after one transfer (CB and ST supossed to be backups). If we don't have the money, then Martinez with his stubbornes is not a good fit for us. He should go somewhere where he's freely able to buy players who fits his style. We need to have someone much more flexible. We have enough good players to play some good football with decent results - they're not at fault he's setting them up to play in a certain way. If it was all about the players his role would be just to tell them to go for a win.

I'm obviously not a football manager, but it's obvious that the likes of Barkley and Lukaku are not fullfiling their potential in this team. And it's again not their fault.
This is one of the main reasons I want Martinez to go. It's not exactly that he has a poor group of players to work with, however he is certainly not getting the best out of players - Barkley and lukaku included. Playing players in their proper positions might be a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back