Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lack of patience and 'me me me' is shameful.

He says he wants three signings.

Judge him on the final product. Not at 50%.

But your mind is already made up because you're clueless
Clueless??

We, us the fans of our club have been harping on all summer long that we are in desperate need for players, players in certain positions. All summer long and in fact since the January window. We've all known it, we've all been saying it. If we can see what our problems are, I would of thought at the very least that our manager knew this too.... clueless?? It's taken him a couple of days before the start of a new season to empathize what he needs.

Maybe he has known all along, so why didn't he bring in those players? Is money a problem? Idk...If we do actually go on now and sign 2 or 3 players, players that we've all been crying out for, then money wasn't the problem at all and there wasn't any problem. So why wait a few games into the season, why?

Ian, I am wrestling with the paradox at the heart of that sentence.

You say that "hopefully" Bob will be gone by Christmas.....then go on to indicate you are prepared to countenance a "terrible 1st half of the season".

Sorry, I can't be doing with that.

A "terrible" opening few months might see us in a relegation fight we might not get out of.

Are you OK with that.....as long as you get your hoped for Martinez exit?

Or in other words, would you rather we had an average run in mid table from now to Christmas which means Bob stays in situ but we have not had a "terrible" run?
I think what he's trying to say is that with Martinez he expects to have a terrible 1st half of the season and if that's the case hopes he will be gone by Christmas.

Slow and predictable...and you think the manger instructs his players to go on the pitch and pass the ball slowly to each other in a repetitive manner and get nowhere?

Maybe he drew all the wrong conclusions from his first season in charge - when the ball was moved quicker and forward more - that he was bored with the success of that and decided to tear that way of playing up?

...or maybe some of the players are simply not up to it and he's desperate to get 3 players in who can make a difference.

What would your guess be?

Will you let the first season go for christ sake.

The proof is in the pudding....we are slow and predicatble

If the manager doesn't want us to play like this then he changes it

But he doesn't, same team, same shoe horn of players into position, same Lukaku being asked to play with his back to goal and spending more time closer to the halfway line than the oppostion goal.

Probably not, because he'd of had to tell 35000 Evertonians to stop being selfish and inpatient as Martinez' Everton were roundly and rightly booed off at HT as Martinez' Everton side failed to win at home for the 14th time in their last 20 attempts yet I'm bring impatient.

If he'd of spent £100million net. You might have a point.

He hasn't. So you don't.

Ian, I am wrestling with the paradox at the heart of that sentence.

You say that "hopefully" Bob will be gone by Christmas.....then go on to indicate you are prepared to countenance a "terrible 1st half of the season".

Sorry, I can't be doing with that.

A "terrible" opening few months might see us in a relegation fight we might not get out of.

Are you OK with that.....as long as you get your hoped for Martinez exit?

Or in other words, would you rather we had an average run in mid table from now to Christmas which means Bob stays in situ but we have not had a "terrible" run?
That's why I put that in brackets, to reference the fact that it would be unfortunate for us to go through between now and December, it would of been easier not to reference it. I want Martinez to win every game, then I'll look stupid but MUCH more importantly we don't have to have a continuous run of Everton ruining our weekends. But I don't believe Martinez is capable of that. As I've said a thousand times....time will tell, but I have been saying that since the early part of last season and time has told us, thus far, that things aren't getting much better.

This is very much about people's tolerance to what's being served up. I think it is and has been for a good while.

If he'd of spent £100million net. You might have a point.

He hasn't. So you don't.
So 11th was par for that squad last season? Did Swansea, Southampton, Stoke or West Ham or even Spurs spend £100 million net over the past 24 months?

After one good season, and one poor season, the only reasonable thing to do is give Martinez a third season before passing judgement.

To say at this stage that he definitely is the right man, or he definitely is not the right man, is equally brimful of nonsense.
The first season is a distant memory. Last season he took us on an abysmal run before we finished strongly. He's got to start this season well and show us that he's worthy of the managers job at Everton.

For me his obstinance and the lack of tactical variation that mindset brings, will ultimately prove to be his downfall.

I think what he's trying to say is that with Martinez he expects to have a terrible 1st half of the season and if that's the case hopes he will be gone by Christmas.

If we have a terrible start to the season then he needs to be long gone way before Christmas.

My point is that Christmas might be too late.

The die will be cast before Halloween if things don't shape up.

But we need to choose our words more carefully.

Managers are fired because results and performances are poor.

So to "hope" a manager is fired is to be prepared to sit through a series of these poor results and performances.

Which is the anthisesis of being a football supporter, I would have thought.

It is a paradox :)

Don't get me wrong, Ad.

And @ianefc as well.

If I have to endure another first half like yesterday's reducted 2014/15 snooze fest I will lose more patience with Bob.

But I sincerely "hope" I don't see it again ;)

The first season is a distant memory. Last season he took us on an abysmal run before we finished strongly. He's got to start this season well and show us that he's worthy of the managers job at Everton.

For me his obstinance and the lack of tactical variation that mindset brings, will ultimately prove to be his downfall.
You may well be right, and you may well be wrong.

Europa was a massive distraction last season. You can't ignore that when you're judging his performance.

Given that, there's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't do at least as well as we did in 2013/14 this season.

If we don't, questions need to be asked.

But judging him now, purely on last season's performance, is just plain wrong.

There's only two ways Martinez will leave - he'll be sacked due to a threat of relegation way too late (smith was sacked too late in my opinion), or he quits due to broken promises, which I think is only likely this month as we all know there's one way he's getting money for these new players, despite his insistence nobody's being sold.

He is performing in the board's eyes, mid table and slightly better is fine for them so they won't sack him for keeping us up.

The only other potential is if the fans get so annoyed at the stagnation to stay away but yesterday's attendance despite it being blindingly obvious what it would be like shows we are a long way off that yet

I have always backed Martinez and thought he was a fresh of breath air coming into a stale football club, but I have 3 problems with him currently. The first one being the training, I say this because of the type of injuries we are suffering currently, he seriouly needs to look into his training methods and resolve it. The next problem is the formation, it just isn't working for us as a team, it offers nothing going forward and what is the point of having two holding midfielders if they can't stop the opposition, this then leads me onto final problem of playing players out of position, Cleverley was moved out wide yesterday to accomodate McCarthy and Barry in the middle, he should be starting in the centre where he would offer us most.

A lot of fans are coming to same conclusion about our current problems, yet it seems the most important person in all this can't actually see it.
Agree totally. Barry was excellent two years ago. Now he shouldn't be an automatic choice , we're far too defensive. The back seven never, ever change week in week out. No wonder we can't attack with seven defensive players. When I see that same team sheet with just the odd change to the up field line, it just depresses me. Mix it up a bit, be bold, drop players ( howard, barry, naismith). Stop trying to be barcelona, because we ain't even close to that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back