Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per Echo.

Roberto Martinez remains adamant that he won't make signings this month "just for the sake of it" and has reiterated his desire to only bring in players who can fit in with the current personnel.

The manager's quotes in the Liverpool Echo coincide with increasing anxiety among many Evertonians over the Catalan's lack of transfer activity this summer and the fact that clubs who finished around the Blues in the table last season have been busily strengthening their squads.

The likes of Southampton, Swansea City, West Ham and Newcastle have been leveraging the increased television revenue to make targeted acquisitions this summer, and Stoke added reported Everton target Xherdan Shaqiri to their ranks today when he completed a £12m move from Internazionale.

Martinez, meanwhile, has stayed true to his assertion back in May that he would be aiming to complete a couple of early signings and then adding a few more later in the transfer window.

Gerard Deulofeu and Tom Cleverley arrived last month for a total outlay of just £4.25m and long-term prospect David Henen was picked up for £200,000 from Olympiacos but Finch Farm has been otherwise quiet on the transfer front.

Having identified that he still needs another striker, a creative "no.10" and a centre-half, Martinez is still working on targets between now and the end of the transfer deadline, which expires at 6pm on 1st September this year, but remains cautious over the types of character he wants to bring in.

“It is not just a case of bringing in names and players for the sake of it," the Catalan said. “That is something that sounds great for 24 hours but it doesn’t help in the next 10 months.”

“We are very clear on that. We know we need to bring a couple of new faces in but I am very much aware that they need to be players who improve or help the players we already have at the club."

Despite his team's struggles last season and a disappointing 2-2 draw with Watford last Saturday that offered little evidence that things had improved, Martinez retains his faith that a team boasting few changes from the one that recorded the club's record Premier League points haul two seasons ago, can come together and produce in similar fashion this time around.

“To play for Everton they have to come and fit in well with what we want to do and the football club they have to represent and making sure we add to our squad which is getting stronger," he continued.

“The core of our squad finished fifth the season before last and then experienced tough lessons last season but also had fantastic experiences in Europe as well.” END

For me this is not exactly re-assuring for the new season.

Per Echo.

Roberto Martinez remains adamant that he won't make signings this month "just for the sake of it" and has reiterated his desire to only bring in players who can fit in with the current personnel.

The manager's quotes in the Liverpool Echo coincide with increasing anxiety among many Evertonians over the Catalan's lack of transfer activity this summer and the fact that clubs who finished around the Blues in the table last season have been busily strengthening their squads.

The likes of Southampton, Swansea City, West Ham and Newcastle have been leveraging the increased television revenue to make targeted acquisitions this summer, and Stoke added reported Everton target Xherdan Shaqiri to their ranks today when he completed a £12m move from Internazionale.

Martinez, meanwhile, has stayed true to his assertion back in May that he would be aiming to complete a couple of early signings and then adding a few more later in the transfer window.

Gerard Deulofeu and Tom Cleverley arrived last month for a total outlay of just £4.25m and long-term prospect David Henen was picked up for £200,000 from Olympiacos but Finch Farm has been otherwise quiet on the transfer front.

Having identified that he still needs another striker, a creative "no.10" and a centre-half, Martinez is still working on targets between now and the end of the transfer deadline, which expires at 6pm on 1st September this year, but remains cautious over the types of character he wants to bring in.

“It is not just a case of bringing in names and players for the sake of it," the Catalan said. “That is something that sounds great for 24 hours but it doesn’t help in the next 10 months.”

“We are very clear on that. We know we need to bring a couple of new faces in but I am very much aware that they need to be players who improve or help the players we already have at the club."

Despite his team's struggles last season and a disappointing 2-2 draw with Watford last Saturday that offered little evidence that things had improved, Martinez retains his faith that a team boasting few changes from the one that recorded the club's record Premier League points haul two seasons ago, can come together and produce in similar fashion this time around.

“To play for Everton they have to come and fit in well with what we want to do and the football club they have to represent and making sure we add to our squad which is getting stronger," he continued.

“The core of our squad finished fifth the season before last and then experienced tough lessons last season but also had fantastic experiences in Europe as well.” END

I feel like this is almost verbatim what Moyes used to say..

Per Echo.

Doesn't exactly fill you with hope does it.

This squad has talent, and it has enough talent to get Europa League with ease.

What we lack is the "one for all, all for one" spirit that the '80's team had in spades. Imagine this team with top notch team spirit. That's down to Martinez. Loads of garbage is spoken about tactics, but you need bottle too. I'd say spirit is more important than tactics actually.

If Martinez can realise that, we're on a winner. If he doesn't he's out by Feb. Oh and two up front and that.

This squad has talent, and it has enough talent to get Europa League with ease.

What we lack is the "one for all, all for one" spirit that the '80's team had in spades. Imagine this team with top notch team spirit. That's down to Martinez. Loads of garbage is spoken about tactics, but you need bottle too. I'd say spirit is more important than tactics actually.

If Martinez can realise that, we're on a winner. If he doesn't he's out by Feb. Oh and two up front and that.

It's strange because a lot of the players have been here a while and we had that bond when cahill and the likes were here, they're all really timid individuals at the moment.

It's strange because a lot of the players have been here a while and we had that bond when cahill and the likes were here, they're all really timid individuals at the moment.
Perhaps some key individuals aren't the best leaders.

The squad clearly don't hate each other's guts, there's no regular visible tension on the pitch, so in my uninformed and probably misguided opinion, Martinez needs to to some team building - his players have the talent to know their roles so Howard Kendall's regular Chinese restaurant social outings wouldn't go amiss.

Old ways aren't always the best I agree, but this squad needs team spirit. Moyes' teams had it, Royle's team had it, the '80's team had it.

Martinez' team desperately needs it.

Christ. He's going down the Moyes route of pretending not to want new players.

bill-kenwright-300x336.jpg

Think its a simple issue, if we aren't spending money when teams around us including many that finished below us every single year are spending it then we need to ask questions.

I was wondering where does the manager stand? He has a bad season last year, if he really struggles this year but didnt get the chance to sign the players he wanted then how can you blame him? For as bad as we may be under him (depending on opinion), when he is struggling to get key players onto the pitch its never going to relfect well on him.

Christ. He's going down the Moyes route of pretending not to want new players.

bill-kenwright-300x336.jpg

How can you possibly conclude that from what he's said ?

He has said quite clearly that they're trying very hard to bring in the three players for the positions discussed. I hardly see it as an issue to say that you aren't just going to sign players for the sake of it.

When you bring a player in you commit to paying their wages for 3-4 years. That is not something a club in our position can take lightly.

I swear some of you deliberately take the worst out of everything.

How can you possibly conclude that from what he's said ?

He has said quite clearly that they're trying very hard to bring in the three players for the positions discussed. I hardly see it as an issue to say that you aren't just going to sign players for the sake of it. When you bring a player in you commit to paying their wages for 3-4 years..
Imagine the stick he'd get if he signed this years Per Koldrup on a 5 Year for 9 million just to keep us happy.Who'd be a manager?

Think its a simple issue, if we aren't spending money when teams around us including many that finished below us every single year are spending it then we need to ask questions.

I was wondering where does the manager stand? He has a bad season last year, if he really struggles this year but didnt get the chance to sign the players he wanted then how can you blame him? For as bad as we may be under him (depending on opinion), when he is struggling to get key players onto the pitch its never going to relfect well on him.

Technical area.

As for not spending money, what's the obsession with how much we've spent compared to others? Surely it's the quality that we should be worried about?

As an example, we've bought in Cleverly, Henen, Holgate and Deulofeu for what £5m? 2 of those for the first team, both of which have premiership experience and have improved the squad, and 2 for the future with minimal outlay. Plenty of clubs have spent £8-10m on one player who's unproven at this level, see Villa, West Brom, Stoke, West Ham and plenty more.

I'm not stupid and I appreciate we have tighter financial restrictions than most, but to solely judge how a transfer window has gone by comparing the amount spent by others is pointless.

If we only spend £5m this window and bring in no other players then obviously I'm gonna be back here going absolutely mental in a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back