Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical area.

As for not spending money, what's the obsession with how much we've spent compared to others? Surely it's the quality that we should be worried about?

As an example, we've bought in Cleverly, Henen, Holgate and Deulofeu for what £5m? 2 of those for the first team, both of which have premiership experience and have improved the squad, and 2 for the future with minimal outlay. Plenty of clubs have spent £8-10m on one player who's unproven at this level, see Villa, West Brom, Stoke, West Ham and plenty more.

I'm not stupid and I appreciate we have tighter financial restrictions than most, but to solely judge how a transfer window has gone by comparing the amount spent by others is pointless.

If we only spend £5m this window and bring in no other players then obviously I'm gonna be back here going absolutely mental in a couple of weeks.

fair points.

All I am saying is for every young player we bring in it doesn't improve the first 11. when the team needs improving and we loiter whilst decent players are being sold for amounts we can afford it creates an issue with how the manager is supported. so if for arguments sake (and I use these as an example) we don't sign a so called number 10 but the board didn't want to sign payet or wjildaldum until August then martinez then struggles this season once the squad picks up knocks on key players. whereas (and only hindsight would tell us) one if our targets we didn't want to to buy now becomes a bargain and adds a few league places to their respective club to take them above us whilst we tread water as a result.

We may have targets and they may be fantastic and I'm not saying we aren't spending any money. All I see is a manager who needs backing right now and we aren't doing that, so you can't hold it against him if we struggle as a result but at the same time if we really struggle we can't stay with him either.

A no win situation

A signing just for the sake of it being virtually a free
I think he honestly rates/rated him,I seem to remember he wanted him at Wigan.Of the transfers that don't live up to expectation I'd rather they were the ones for nominal fees rather than the Kroldrup- Bilyaletdinov variety

OF COURSE

We appoint a former Wigan man as a Sports Therapist.
Brau lists the Andorran and Romanian national teams as former employers, as well as the Spanish youth water polo side.

The masseur has also worked in professional tennis and counts multi-Grand Slam winner Rafael Nadal and Svetlana Kuznetsova as clients.

Can't be all bad like...

Technical area.

As for not spending money, what's the obsession with how much we've spent compared to others? Surely it's the quality that we should be worried about?

As an example, we've bought in Cleverly, Henen, Holgate and Deulofeu for what £5m? 2 of those for the first team, both of which have premiership experience and have improved the squad, and 2 for the future with minimal outlay. Plenty of clubs have spent £8-10m on one player who's unproven at this level, see Villa, West Brom, Stoke, West Ham and plenty more.

I'm not stupid and I appreciate we have tighter financial restrictions than most, but to solely judge how a transfer window has gone by comparing the amount spent by others is pointless.

If we only spend £5m this window and bring in no other players then obviously I'm gonna be back here going absolutely mental in a couple of weeks.
This really does need repeating over and over, because it's the exact truth but STILL some people ignore it and focus solely on the sum spent. Utter madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back