Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he certainly got it right today with selection and tactics.

Best performance since beating Arsenal 3-0 at Goodison in April 2014?
It's rarely about tactics, for me. It's about personnel and not having them for one type of opposition but having them for another type.

If the playmaker isn't addressed we'll have a lot of grumbles to come yet; if we sort it out, we are heading for calm waters.

Got everything spot on today. Hopefully this will stop the old 'no plan B' shouts.

If we had been offered 4 points from home to Watford and away to Southampton the majority on here would have taken that, albeit expecting the points to come the other way round.

Like has been said above, Martinez has a clean slate from me after a proper boss season followed by a proper naff one. We've had 1 and a half good games so far, lets build on this.

48% possession away from home. Hardly not wanting possession like.

Any port in a storm though, I suppose.

Southampton 3 Everton 0 December 20th 2014.

Posession : Southampton : 43.8% / Everton : 56.2%

Who said anything about not wanting posession? Thats right, no one but you.

We had less posession today when we won the game than we did when we lost the game least season. Because we used what we had effectively. Thats what's important, not playing 17 passes between the defense to boost some stats that don't win points.

Or as Glenn Hoddle put it : "Everton played the game in Southamptons half rather than their own half".

Brilliant win, but this is not a new characteristic of the Martinez repertoire. I seem to remember Wigan getting a few decent wins away from home with clean sheets by playing on the counter.

In terms of the general game, thought we played well, but nothing spectacular. The midfield were much more tenacious and lukaku was brilliant, and they are the two things we need to see far more regularly, not just when we are playing on the counter.

I don't buy this distinction between either having to boss possession or counter. Mourinho is an expert at it. The players just need to know how to get the chance to counter when having bossed possession for 60 minutes without reward.

Exactly.

When teams attack us we are liable to hit them on the break all right.

Our problems come when your Stokes and Baggies come to Goodison and circle the wagons.

Of course, Chelsea and Arsenal (2 of the best teams in the league) have had problems beating teams who park the bus. All teams struggle to break teams down who do that, it's not unique to us.

So lets not act as though all out problems last season came simply from being unable to break down stubborn well organised defenses. There were numerous other reasons why we were often poor, a lot of them from our own making rather than the oppositions.

Better players will help, thats undisputed. But it's no good signing better players to break down stubborn parked buses if your new players stand and watch as the defense pass it about among themselves or get instructed to pass backwards every time they come up against an opposition player.

Southampton 3 Everton 0 December 20th 2014.

Posession : Southampton : 43.8% / Everton : 56.2%

Who said anything about not wanting posession? Thats right, no one but you.

We had less posession today when we won the game than we did when we lost the game least season. Because we used what we had effectively. Thats what's important, not playing 17 passes between the defense to boost some stats that don't win points.

Or as Glenn Hoddle put it : "Everton played the game in Southamptons half rather than their own half".
You do realise that amounts to about 30 less passes dont you?

Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back