Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I may be overly optimistic here, but I think RM is potentially on track for something special here. Maybe not HK special, but I'm not sure that could be done again in the current footballing climate with the vast difference in finances. He is certainly building for the future.

Look at our side today, we had 4 current England internationals (in a team of 10/11 full internationals) playing. A central spine with 3 of the highest rated youngsters in European football with another one on the bench. We have a great blend of experienced players with youngsters and a manager not scared of throwing youth into the mix.

Yes we may not be spending as much cash as the rest, but it could be argued we spend it better and wiser. It's not about what you spend it is how you spend it and we don't fail too often.

I've had a couple of beers by the way!!!

Martinez has kept Coleman, Barkley, McCarthy, Mirallas, Garbutt and (for now) stones at the club when the media have been happy to sell them and assume they're off. By doing so he's told his players that he values them and believes they can hit their best form again they will hopefully reward him. Today he came with a plan and it worked perfectly. Hopefully we can do the same next week with City

Now I may be overly optimistic here, but I think RM is potentially on track for something special here. Maybe not HK special, but I'm not sure that could be done again in the current footballing climate with the vast difference in finances. He is certainly building for the future.

Look at our side today, we had 4 current England internationals (in a team of 10/11 full internationals) playing. A central spine with 3 of the highest rated youngsters in European football with another one on the bench. We have a great blend of experienced players with youngsters and a manager not scared of throwing youth into the mix.

Yes we may not be spending as much cash as the rest, but it could be argued we spend it better and wiser. It's not about what you spend it is how you spend it and we don't fail too often.

I've had a couple of beers by the way!!!
Yep.

Getting game time today:

Stones 21
Galloway 19
Barkley 21
Lukaku 22
Browning 21
Deulofeu 21

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_pl3o7(1).webp

He played well when Barry was injured last season for a few games, as soon as Barry was fit again he got dropped which was out of order.
Sorry not for me at this moment in time, I think he has great potential and can become that holding player but needs time.
I will say though we have great young players knocking at the first team door, which we haven't had for many a year.

Depends what you mean by not small. Take away the obvious starting XI of

Howard, Coleman, Jags, Stones, Baines, Barry, Macca, Cleverley, Barkley, Mirallas, Lukaku

and what do you think - taking into account experience, fitness and ability?

I'd also argue that a lot of the rest are on relatively low wages as well.

Compare our squad in size to the champions,
  1. 1 Robles
  2. 24 Howard
  3. 36 Stanek
Defenders
  1. 2 Hibbert
  2. 3 Baines
  3. 5 Stones
  4. 6 Jagielka
  5. 8 Oviedo
  6. 23 Coleman
  7. 27 Browning
  8. 32 Galloway
Midfielders
  1. 4 Gibson
  2. 7 McGeady
  3. 11 Mirallas
  4. 15 Cleverley
  5. 16 McCarthy
  6. 17 Besic
  7. 18 Barry
  8. 20 Barkley
  9. 21 Osman
  10. 22 Pienaar
Forwards
  1. 9 Koné
  2. 10 Lukaku
  3. 14 Naismith
  4. 19 Deulofeu
  5. 35 McAleny

Chelsea Squad:

Goalkeepers
  1. 1 Begovic
  2. 13 Courtois
  3. 27 Blackman
Defenders
  1. 2 Ivanovic
  2. 5 Zouma
  3. 24 Cahill
  4. 26 Terry
  5. 28 Azpilicueta
Midfielders
  1. 4 Fàbregas
  2. 7 Ramires
  3. 8 Oscar
  4. 10 Hazard
  5. 11 Cuadrado
  6. 12 Mikel
  7. 14 Traore
  8. 20 Moses
  9. 21 Matic
  10. 22 Willian
  11. 36 Loftus-Cheek
  12. Chalobah
  13. Marin
Forwards
  1. 9 Falcao
  2. 18 Remy
  3. 19 Diego Costa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back