Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping that the saying "out of adversity comes opportunity" is starting to apply to Roberto Martinez. He has acted really well during the Stones affair. He made very clear statements of intent and stuck to them. Has he embarrassing the board into doing what he wanted? Has he now strengthened his hand in running the club?
I have to say he looks like a more driven man now.
Hope this is true and I hope he has the ability and strength to continue in the same vein. If he buys a good attacking midfielder, I for one would be back on board with him.

Spot on. He defo has come of age this summer in terms of becoming the public face of this club. He appears to set the agenda (appears, that is - just like Moyes did) and looks like the strongman for the first time.

Interesting to see how we set up against Chelsea. Match of the day made the point that Ivanovic had a defensive shocker yesterday and the Palace defence wound up Costa to the point he became ineffective.

Mirallas or del on the left and told don't track Ivanovic if he gets up and exploit the space behind him and McCarthy man marking Costa nipping at his heels for 90 mins I reckon.

Naismith could quite easily get Costa sent off. After his wind up job on Spurs yesterday its obvious that he's now our go to man if we need to upset the opposition.

Naismith could quite easily get Costa sent off. After his wind up job on Spurs yesterday its obvious that he's now our go to man if we need to upset the opposition.
I thought he went on with the intention of showing Spurs that we were going to stand up for ourselves. They seem to have added an edge to their game. Probably a response to not winning but, I thought Naismith was on to say "if you kick us expect to get kicked back"

Said this in another thread last night, but that was the type of game we'd have lost last year but this year he's doing what moyes was good at by following up a loss with a bit more defensive set up to stop back to back losses which create negative momentum, that killed us last year

I'm trying. By god I am trying! But no matter how much I want to believe in him, how much I want him to succeed and how much I want to just feel naturally positive about the man, I just can't help but feel very worried and ultimately negative about the appointment of Roberto Martinez as manager of Everton Football Club. I know there's an obvious divide in Everton fans' views and opinions of this issue, but what about the man wearing the mask like me. The man who's putting a smile on and forcing himself to look and "feel" excited about Martinez, but deep down knows that something just doesn't fit. I know I'm not the only one wearing that mask of jubilance covering a face of concern, worry and gloominess. Having watched the full appointment of Martinez press conference on YouTube, I think it's blatantly obvious that Kenwright is wearing that mask too. Some say this is a time of promise and future glory, with the players we have, the football Martinez' teams play and the fact that we're taking on a manager who won what Moyesey never could (a trophy!), and I'm happy for those people. Others say this is a huge mistake, with a manager that's never progressed a bottom five team which was finishing higher in the league before he took over and now under his reign got relegated, and I'm happy for those people too. At least you openly know where you stand. But those of you wearing the mask of delight covering up a deep down despair, put your hand up and make yourself known, because I know there's more than just me and Blue Bill.

Like i say the board are a disgrace but there are others out there.
Yarmelenko is not the only number 10 in the world.
If the board have hid the money he will have to find other ways of getting a player to kickstart his system.
Maybe he should have sold a player to generate some cash he is not helpless .

The rs have managed to cash in on worse players than what we could, I think they got 4.5mill for Aspas and 3 mill for Lambert, there's 7.5 mill getting rid of there deadwood

Let's not forget we've had Osman and Pienaar the last couple of years who are our best options in that position. Now Pienaar is crocked and Osman is in his 50s now is the time to buy. I think it's a case of Martinez strengthening other positions first because the players became available and we can't go out and spend on multiple players in one window.

It will be frustrating if we don't get anyone in over the next couple of days.
Who is this referencing? He brought in Deulofeu and plays with no wingers and added another CM when we have a few less than Spurs.

ah, my mistake, thought you meant just this summer.

And yeah, we dont have a ton of resources at our disposal to get 5 players who strengthen everything.

Yup, this is my point. It's a frustrating cycle, by the time he's replaced everyone he wants to in the team, the first couple he brought in will be picked up by a richer club or getting on in years and need replacing themselves.

Yup, this is my point. It's a frustrating cycle, by the time he's replaced everyone he wants to in the team, the first couple he brought in will be picked up by a richer club or getting on in years and need replacing themselves.
I already think he has moved on everyone he wants and replaced them. We're 3 seasons in so this is a Martinez team.

What worries me is we don't create chances and play a style that often means we lose possession in both dangerous areas and with players ahead of the ball.

A very dangerous combo and so far I have yet to see any evidence that has changed.

Basically I hope Yarmolenko rumor of talks being back on because I don't think we have any more targets so I expect a loan stop gap. If that happens I still fear for Martinez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back