Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually feel quite positive at this stage of the season. I think back to this time last year and the squad was thin, lots of injuries and not a lot of options, trying to compete in Europe and the PL. It's been a steady start this season and the likes of Besic and Del have barely been used, even Mirallas has been used sparingly. Martinez must start to use these players after the break though, change things up. Last season we became too predictable, he has the squad this time around to make us unpredictable. Another couple of signings of different type players will help even more. Really missing Baines though

Whether Martinez uses the options at his disposal remains to be seen, but they are there, they weren't last season. The Chelsea game could be a big one, this is a struggling team, not like Man City who clicked into gear already. We can have a real go at Chelsea IMO

I know what your saying mate I really do,points wise we are right on schedule for what we would say is acceptable.

I just don't believe in him mate, please understand I say that with a heavy heart. Tactically I think he's naive, I think he's weak when it comes to picking players. I find him as negative as Moyes when teams are there for the taking he goes to a system that in his eyes will.work but barely works every now and then

Backing wise,your spot on mate. There should be 30m available for him to spend right now. But there isn't and we all need him to find a formula that works with what he has available

Hopefully by Tuesday folk will be buzzing off me for my Saturday/Sunday morning rant Dave. You know I've backed him previously but I'm just struggling to see where we are heading football wise with him in charge

The trouble is mate, people tend to make sweeping pronouncements on what this manager is and isn't on the turn of every outcome of every game. Against Southampton it was all 'Bobby got that spot on there. I love the way we set up today' etc etc. A poor display(ish) (and one coming hot on the heels of a tiring match three days earlier and with all the turmoil off the pitch over Stones...where we nevertheless got a point I'd have accepted before KO. tbh) and the narrative becomes one of doom and gloom.

I cant take it seriously. I know you had your misgivings last season...but as everyone kept telling me about Martinez's first season in charge 'that was then, this is now'. I see the pattern of play now all told as having the hallmarks of a much more energetic game than last season (hopefully Cleverley's absence isn't going to destroy that because I think he's been a big difference in that respect). Many others have noted it too.

There's a 'go to' knee jerk position that's been reached by some over any sort of perceived reversal. It's a rut that those people have gotten themselves into.

I'd love to see:

-----------Howard------------------
--Coleman Stones Jags Baines----
---------Besic-- McCarthy----------
--Deulofeu-- Barkley--Mirellas---
--------------Lukaku----------------

Stick Ross in the middle of the terror twins and play the wee dag and funny eyes alongside Rom and just Hulk smash everyone everywhere.

T How
60grand - Judas - Jags - Bainesy
Besic - Boss - McCarthy
Gezzo----------Lukaku---------Superkev​
Is it too much to ask.......speed, tenacity, skill......smells like victory

Interesting to see how we set up against Chelsea. Match of the day made the point that Ivanovic had a defensive shocker yesterday and the Palace defence wound up Costa to the point he became ineffective.

Mirallas or del on the left and told don't track Ivanovic if he gets up and exploit the space behind him and McCarthy man marking Costa nipping at his heels for 90 mins I reckon.

The trouble is mate, people tend to make sweeping pronouncements on what this manager is and isn't on the turn of every outcome of every game. Against Southampton it was all 'Bobby got that spot on there. I love the way we set up today' etc etc. A poor display(ish) (and one coming hot on the heels of a tiring match three days earlier and with all the turmoil off the pitch over Stones...where we nevertheless got a point I'd have accepted before KO. tbh) and the narrative becomes one of doom and gloom.

I cant take it seriously. I know you had your misgivings last season...but as everyone kept telling me about Martinez's first season in charge 'that was then, this is now'. I see the pattern of play now all told as having the hallmarks of a much more energetic game than last season (hopefully Cleverley's absence isn't going to destroy that because I think he's been a big difference in that respect). Many others have noted it too.

There's a 'go to' knee jerk position that's been reached by some over any sort of perceived reversal. It's a rut that those people have gotten themselves into.

Definitely true mate and totally understand. Me personally I haven't got an agenda against the fella. I was neither delighted or subdued via his appointment, I was very much "let's see what he can do" and the first season was a breath if fresh air with his positivity after years of having Moyes dampen expectations before a ball had even been kicked.

My gripe isn't just this season, this all stems now from a sustained period where I just find his tactics, set up, instructions on how we play very naive.

I like the fella Dave I really do, I'm really disappointed with how this window has gone and I feel sorry for him that here we are on a Sunday morning with 48 hours left and every interview he's done for the past 4 months he's said we need a playmaker and he's identified targets yet here we are without them. I don't want another yes man to this regime Dave, it's not good for the soul!

He's not going to get sacked unless we went on a similar horrendous run, I just wish he wouldn't persist with picking players who shouldn't be anywhere near the first team, shake it up a little, and certainly get the team to start pressing and marking players instead of space.

This thread though
tumblr_muqfr5dgBC1s96utdo1_250.gif

If you wanted a number 10 you would have got one in two years.
You must understand that surely

Come on mate, it's not that easy. We don't know which players he has identified over the last couple of years and whether they have been available or if the funds were there to spend etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back