Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, not really.
Fair enough then. Having read through now it's nice to see some genuine discussion about our issues and work ons instead of using anything and everything to have a go at the manager.

For mine we didn't do enough going forward, I also think if we're going to sit back and counter attack we need to press high.
We were limited with regards to personnel with players slowly coming back to fitness and then the extra time vs Barnsley to contend with.

Spurs were the better side but we got a draw so can't complain, so often we've been the better side but have lost in spite of that.

If you're not great at defending, and despite having very good individual defenders, the sum is less than the parts under Martinez, then you have to be very good at attacking.

I think Martinez' problems lay in the fact he does not know whether to stick or twist. Personally I think he should release the shackles on our attacking potential and not worry too much about our defending capabilities. I think we have better attackers than defenders in the squad.

I'd love to see:

-----------Howard------------------
--Coleman Stones Jags Baines----
---------Besic-- McCarthy----------
--Deulofeu-- Barkley--Mirellas---
--------------Lukaku----------------

Stick Ross in the middle of the terror twins and play the wee dag and funny eyes alongside Rom and just Hulk smash everyone everywhere.

T How
60grand - Judas - Jags - Bainesy
Besic - Boss - McCarthy
Gezzo----------Lukaku---------Superkev​

Stick Ross in the middle of the terror twins and play the wee dag and funny eyes alongside Rom and just Hulk smash everyone everywhere.

T How
Besic - Boss - McCarthy
Get Ross some shooting practice on Duncs pigeons. Been our best player so far this season but Jesus he could do with some target practice.

T How
Besic - Boss - McCarthy

If Baines and Coleman knew how to defend that'd work.

Fair enough then. Having read through now it's nice to see some genuine discussion about our issues and work ons instead of using anything and everything to have a go at the manager.

For mine we didn't do enough going forward, I also think if we're going to sit back and counter attack we need to press high.
We were limited with regards to personnel with players slowly coming back to fitness and then the extra time vs Barnsley to contend with.

Spurs were the better side but we got a draw so can't complain, so often we've been the better side but have lost in spite of that.
Thats my biggest complaint of Martinez for the last year. If you are going to be a possession team or one that capitalizes on mistakes, you need to MAKE THOSE MISTAKES HAPPEN. Sitting back and not pressing the opposition does the grand total of feck. Cleverly pressed for about 10 minutes and we got like 3-5 turnovers in that time. Shocker!

I cannot, for the life of me, think Martinez has told them to stand off but I cant think of any reason why they invite pressure like they do. Its shades of Moyes' trying to hold onto a draw in the last 10 minutes. Its basically inviting sepuku.

Still will not learn from his mistakes. 3 points were there for the taking yet he played 2 holding mids. Only a rare good day from Howard stopped it being a rout. Could have won if he'd play Barkley in his correct position and drop grandad Barry.

I like his "big picture" of how he is trying to build a team for the future, but I would hope he can see our defence is not well organised at all, and either addresses it himself or delegates it to someone who can.

Martinez's obsession, his stubbornness in sticking with certain players to deliver him a game plan is driving me bananas.

This. Every week i tell myself maybe just maybe we might actually play with wingers for a change. My optimism is always crushed a hour before kick off. I really dont understand it. The same with picking Barry consistently.

This. Every week i tell myself maybe just maybe we might actually play with wingers for a change. My optimism is always crushed a hour before kick off. I really dont understand it. The same with picking Barry consistently.
I am a bit despondent when I say, Martinez is a snake oil salesman...the most negative, conservative Catalan on the planet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back