Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Four points from away games against Southampton and Spurs. Some aren't happy with the manager.

I think a bit of self reflection is in order. Some need to ask themselves whether they haven't dug themselves into an unreasonable pit of their own making.

Four games of the nightmare start out of the way and we have two draws a win and a loss.

Think about it.

He did not need to issue an ultimatum, the Board were/are wholly behind not selling Stones.

It suits the Board entirely to spin the idea "that money can't buy you everything", as they've operated on that premise for the last 16 years. We'll add players before the window shuts, funded by debt for the next 12 months. In the meantime the pressure on the Board is somewhat relieved by their stance on Stones.

How much do you reckon we'll spend by Tuesday ?

It's a good question mate and one I haven't got the answer to unfortunately.

I'm honestly just calling it as I see it. I see a decent squad, lacking a player or 2 of course but I see a decent squad who don't look drilled, disciplined, meek ( Ive used that word far too many times for my own liking but it's how I feel ).

I just haven't seen anything where I've thought "that weakness I was worrying about has been sorted".

I hope I'm wrong mate I really do because in 6 weeks times if folk are thinking I'm knee jerking then I can be buzzed off.

I sort of see where you're coming from. But then look at the alternatives and see people like Sam Allardyce.

You only need one holding cm against the vast majority of the trash in this league.

Being a holding midfielder is out of the question for Ross. If he wants to be the box-to-box midfielder, then he needs to add tenacity, aggression and discipline to his game.

At this moment in time, he's much better suited as an out and out attacker.

I think there is much improvement from last season. Leave today aside and the pace and movement has been much much better. No question.

If there's no more substantial improvement then that's down to the fact that we haven't brought the players we all knew we needed to bring in, and that's down to the owners. He's had his hands tied.

I know what your saying mate I really do,points wise we are right on schedule for what we would say is acceptable.

I just don't believe in him mate, please understand I say that with a heavy heart. Tactically I think he's naive, I think he's weak when it comes to picking players. I find him as negative as Moyes when teams are there for the taking he goes to a system that in his eyes will.work but barely works every now and then

Backing wise,your spot on mate. There should be 30m available for him to spend right now. But there isn't and we all need him to find a formula that works with what he has available

Hopefully by Tuesday folk will be buzzing off me for my Saturday/Sunday morning rant Dave. You know I've backed him previously but I'm just struggling to see where we are heading football wise with him in charge

If you're not great at defending, and despite having very good individual defenders, the sum is less than the parts under Martinez, then you have to be very good at attacking.

I think Martinez' problems lay in the fact he does not know whether to stick or twist. Personally I think he should release the shackles on our attacking potential and not worry too much about our defending capabilities. I think we have better attackers than defenders in the squad.

I'd love to see:

-----------Howard------------------
--Coleman Stones Jags Baines----
---------Besic-- McCarthy----------
--Deulofeu-- Barkley--Mirellas---
--------------Lukaku----------------

I sort of see where you're coming from. But then look at the alternatives and see people like Sam Allardyce.

Of course mate, that's the worse case scenario. I'm a firm believer that when the Everton job is up for grabs there would be a list of 50 applicants throwing there name in the hat.

Not saying that all 50 would be decent though

Of course mate, that's the worse case scenario. I'm a firm believer that when the Everton job is up for grabs there would be a list of 50 applicants throwing there name in the hat.

Not saying that all 50 would be decent though
No offense but I think that is definitely blue tinted glasses. That's half of the managers in the top 4 divisions and 4 others.

If you're not great at defending, and despite having very good individual defenders, the sum is less than the parts under Martinez, then you have to be very good at attacking.

I think Martinez' problems lay in the fact he does not know whether to stick or twist. Personally I think he should release the shackles on our attacking potential and not worry too much about our defending capabilities. I think we have better attackers than defenders in the squad.

I'd love to see:

We always look likely to concede and generally struggle to score many goals, never a very good mix.

There's probably 10 teams who will come to Goodison this year and have hardly any intention of going over the half way line. Martinez finding a way to win these kind of games will be key to anything we do this season.

I think we'll pick a decent amount of points up on the road due to teams attacking us a bit more meaning we have more space to create so that doesn't worry me.

I'd love to see:

Did the Esk just type out of formation?

Wow.

We always look likely to concede and generally struggle to score many goals, never a very good mix.

There's probably 10 teams who will come to Goodison this year and have hardly any intention of going over the half way line. Martinez finding a way to win these kind of games will be key to anything we do this season.

I think we'll pick a decent amount of points up on the road due to teams attacking us a bit more meaning we have more space to create so that doesn't worry me.
I agree to an extent but Rom/Barkley et al will score against teams outside top 5 which is where we will do well this season which is why a point today is a decent result if the manner was not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back