Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's still wanting to fume about Bobby's Team selection, tactics and substitutions today then?

Still think Naismith was the wrong sub at the time, no one would have expected, or even thought it was possible Naismith could do that.

Still don't like the way Lukaku is basically not used.

Very happy overall though

So you're admitting that you're wrong and sticking with it?

Yeah, at the time, I was thinking what the [Poor language removed] is he doing.

Hindsight is beautiful, and if we'd known that he'd come on and do that we'd have all thrown him on. However, we wouldn't have expected him to have that good a contribution.

He has it right about Naismith: you bring him off the bench.

That cant be allowed to change.

I think Kendalls comment was spot on the other day re Naismith. In the modern game there is a place for guys who are reliable squad players. Ferguson made a habit of it at Manchester United.

I'd only disagree in saying against the top 5-6 sides I have no problem with him starting. IN games where you need a bit more physicality, experience and ability to convert chances. He is a real "big game" player too and relishes basically kicking better players.

Against teams who park the bus he's not the answer from the start, but as you've said is a great bench option.

Compare the fixtures it to last two seasons:

2013-14
Cardiff H(replace for Watford) W 2-1
Southampton A: L3-0
City H: L3-2
Spurs A: L 1-0
Chelsea H: W 1-0

6 points from these corresponding fixtures.

2014-15:
Hull H: D1-1
Southampton A: L3-0
City H: D 1-1
Spurs A: L2-1
Chelsea H: L 6-3

2 points from these corresponding fixtures ( replaced Watford with Hull)

2015-16:
Watford H: D 2-2
Southampton A: W 3-0
City H: L 2-0
Spurs A: D 0-0
Chelsea H: W 3-1

8 points from corresponding fixtures. We could be in for the best season since our 4th placed finish.

8 points from the first 5 games of the opening "10 game start from hell".

I think most of us would have accepted as reasonable about 12 from that set of fixtures. I reckon we can get between 15 and 20 points - injuries permitting.

I think Kendalls comment was spot on the other day re Naismith. In the modern game there is a place for guys who are reliable squad players. Ferguson made a habit of it at Manchester United.

I'd only disagree in saying against the top 5-6 sides I have no problem with him starting. IN games where you need a bit more physicality, experience and ability to convert chances. He is a real "big game" player too and relishes basically kicking better players.

Against teams who park the bus he's not the answer from the start, but as you've said is a great bench option.
He needs a free role, that's the danger with him. If it comes off because the opposition are hell bent on attack it looks great. If you have opponents who'll stick rather than twist, he's not the right choice. We have far more games against latter type teams than the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back