Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most pleasing thing about that performance was we looked like we wanted it just a little bit more than the other team. Always first to the ball, winning 50/50s, going in hard but fair and basically up for the fight.

We often get accused of being too soft and maybe unfairly because of Martinez's personal style but it's that kind of attitude more than any team selection or formation which is the most positive thing to take from today's game.

I said I would be happy with about 10 points from the first 10 games and we have almost that already so things are looking very good.

It did remind me very much of a typical David Moyes style defensive effort
To be fair to the manager he is learning by his mistakes from last season.
He outfoxed jose today and not many managers do that.
Like i have said before he got it spot on today and seems now to be growing with the club

I was surprised the Naismith sub turned out so well, mostly because it moved a central player out wide.

That being said, I said before the season began the first ten could be better than expected because teams would be coming at us and we're lethal on the counter.

What impressed me was how well we defended, considering Martinez supposedly doesn't know how to defend according to some.

Its what happened at Wigan, maybe the narrative would be all different had Stones signed for Wigan, instead of Dave dastardly nicking in at the last, with Galloway today, I think Martinez may have the eye, for a defender or two :celebrate:.

And some of you wanted Mark Hughes L O L
Everywherebuzz.webp

I'd be interested if someone could post a description of our tactics today, and an explanation of exactly how Martinez outwitted Mourinho.

I agree that the team played like heroes, but it seems to me that it was our good fortune that Besic had to go off. This gave Martinez the opportunity to bring on a more attacking player - the choice of Naismith proved to be a good one.

I had expected to start with a more attacking formation, with someone - perhaps Mirallas, Deulofeu or Lennon - taking on Ivanovic.

We defended crosses well today - Kone wasn't there by chance. But, as usual, we were caught out several times by short corners.

Still, it all came right on the day.

I'd be interested if someone could post a description of our tactics today, and an explanation of exactly how Martinez outwitted Mourinho.

I agree that the team played like heroes, but it seems to me that it was our good fortune that Besic had to go off. This gave Martinez the opportunity to bring on a more attacking player - the choice of Naismith proved to be a good one.

I had expected to start with a more attacking formation, with someone - perhaps Mirallas, Deulofeu or Lennon - taking on Ivanovic.

We defended crosses well today - Kone wasn't there by chance. But, as usual, we were caught out several times by short corners.

Still, it all came right on the day.

Executioners bong usually does a good tactical breakdown, don't know if that's still going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back