Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the flip side, today's line up meant our full backs were afforded decent protection

Which was probably the aim, both pre and post Besic's Injury and why the well known hard worker Naismith came on rather than Del, Kev or even Ossie.

It might be concluded that Martinez got a bit of a silver lining thing with Nessi's goals.

For all the big name Individuals, as a team, collectively at the moment Chelsea are in poor form.

IMO the game is and always will be won or lost in the midfield, which is why they're leaking goals, which is why sometimes our defence looks Terry-esque...also why they scored from 30 yds out the midfield, in this case Barkley didn't close him down.

There you have it in the micro and macro.

Get the MF semi right and in some sort of form, mix in a bit of niggle / attitude / Intensity / plain old will to win, due to Maureen's antics add a bit of Naismith silver lining
Result; we have plenty of shots on target, they have hardly any.

QED

Martinez out tactic-ed them...not exactly, but I'll take it all season thank you very much.

The harder you work at it sometimes the luckier you get.

I'd be interested if someone could post a description of our tactics today, and an explanation of exactly how Martinez outwitted Mourinho.

I agree that the team played like heroes, but it seems to me that it was our good fortune that Besic had to go off. This gave Martinez the opportunity to bring on a more attacking player - the choice of Naismith proved to be a good one.

I had expected to start with a more attacking formation, with someone - perhaps Mirallas, Deulofeu or Lennon - taking on Ivanovic.

We defended crosses well today - Kone wasn't there by chance. But, as usual, we were caught out several times by short corners.

Still, it all came right on the day.

So we were only 1 shot stat off the current EPL champions and had more on target, yet we won because we had more luck? Perhaps, you know, we played quite well?

I didn't say we won because we had more luck. I said that the team played like heroes!

I did say that it was our good fortune that Besic had to go off, and that Martinez was able to bring on a more attacking player, Naismith.

I am interested to know exactly why fans think that Martinez outwitted Mourinho with his team selection. Which was more significant - his initial choice of three defensive midfielders or his decision to replace Besic so early in the game with Naismith? Did our play change, or was the original plan to create opportunities for Besic to score?

The answer is pretty clear to me.

I didn't say we won because we had more luck. I said that the team played like heroes!

I did say that it was our good fortune that Besic had to go off, and that Martinez was able to bring on a more attacking player, Naismith.

I am interested to know exactly why fans think that Martinez outwitted Mourinho with his team selection. Which was more significant - his initial choice of three defensive midfielders or his decision to replace Besic so early in the game with Naismith? Did our play change, or was the original plan to create opportunities for Besic to score?

The answer is pretty clear to me.

The answer's pretty clear to me too, in that the scoreline shows our superiority. It could have been Lukaku who scored that hattrick, but it's all what ifs.

The only fact that we can be sure of is that we blew away the English champions. It's not too hard to work out is it?

The answer's pretty clear to me too, in that the scoreline shows our superiority. It could have been Lukaku who scored that hattrick, but it's all what ifs.

The only fact that we can be sure of is that we blew away the English champions. It's not too hard to work out is it?
This, really. Plus Lukaku also had a few decent chances that Begovic won't really call easy saves really.

And there's also the good ol' saying "fortune favours the brave", and in this case - brave we were.

People forget last season we went for it against Chelsea, and we all know what happened.

Today we had the 3 midfielders in place leaving the 3 attacking players to concentrate on attacking.

When Besic went off I think the decision to bring on Naismith ahead of a winger was the brave decision and needs to be applauded

As ever some people will not give RM any plaudits

People forget last season we went for it against Chelsea, and we all know what happened.

Today we had the 3 midfielders in place leaving the 3 attacking players to concentrate on attacking.

When Besic went off I think the decision to bring on Naismith ahead of a winger was the brave decision and needs to be applauded

As ever some people will not give RM any plaudits

Yep. He could have took the easy option in pleasing the fans and went with a winger and if we lost, the fans wouldn't have moaned much but Naismith was a brave sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back