Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think bobby’s best tactics yesterday came before he even stepped foot in that dressing room, refusing to be drawn into selling stones to a club like chelsea built up such an atmosphere for that game yesterday on and off the pitch it just had to go our way, every player out there getting such applause they must of been flying high, even a standing applause for kone, who would of seen that coming a few months ago. and then of course turning down norwich on comes the mighty naismith with a perfect hattrick! i think that performance had been building up for last couple of weeks and please may it continue!

I'm quite interested by the winger situation. It isn't just here, it's right across the premier league; managers really don't seem to trust them.

A huge part of any wingers game is to have a decent defensive relationship with his fullback, and it works vice versa when attacking on the overlap. Yet as 4.2.3.1 has taken over, and the game has got more defensive it seems as though the trust has gone in 'widemen' to be able to muck in. As so we see Besic and Cleverley, or as yesterday Naismith and Kone ahead of the fullbacks. Liverpool had Ings wide left yesterday.

And this is where I don't really get it. Strikers are terrible defenders, for good reason; I'd much rather have them working on the finishing in training, than worrying about tracking marauding fullbacks. Kone completely lost Azpilacueta yesterday, for instance.

Yet deploying a striker out there seems to be seen as the safer option than any of our wingers, who are surely more adept in that position, and have the added role of occupying the fullbacks mind. (There is no way Ivanovich would have been pushing as high up the pitch if he had someone with pace like Del or Lennon ready to counter past him.)

I just haven't seen any evidence that our wide players aren't capable of performing both functions. If it turns out they can't, then that's what they have to be concentrating on in training themselves, rather than being stuck on the bench game after game with the tag 'flair player' working against their best interests.

I'm quite interested by the winger situation. It isn't just here, it's right across the premier league; managers really don't seem to trust them.

A huge part of any wingers game is to have a decent defensive relationship with his fullback, and it works vice versa when attacking on the overlap. Yet as 4.2.3.1 has taken over, and the game has got more defensive it seems as though the trust has gone in 'widemen' to be able to muck in. As so we see Besic and Cleverley, or as yesterday Naismith and Kone ahead of the fullbacks. Liverpool had Ings wide left yesterday.

And this is where I don't really get it. Strikers are terrible defenders, for good reason; I'd much rather have them working on the finishing in training, than worrying about tracking marauding fullbacks. Kone completely lost Azpilacueta yesterday, for instance.

Yet deploying a striker out there seems to be seen as the safer option than any of our wingers, who are surely more adept in that position, and have the added role of occupying the fullbacks mind. (There is no way Ivanovich would have been pushing as high up the pitch if he had someone with pace like Del or Lennon ready to counter past him.)

I just haven't seen any evidence that our wide players aren't capable of performing both functions. If it turns out they can't, then that's what they have to be concentrating on in training themselves, rather than being stuck on the bench game after game with the tag 'flair player' working against their best interests.
Different personnel out wide for different opponents.

Against the lesser lights I'm sure we'll see 1 winger (or even 2 at some point of the game) deployed by Martinez.

Chelsea was maybe the wrong time to have a player like Deulofeu or Mirallas on the pitch. Lennon, maybe, because of his workrate. But in that instance RM possibly felt he'd ease Lennon back in rather than start him against the champions.

I didn't say we won because we had more luck. I said that the team played like heroes!

I did say that it was our good fortune that Besic had to go off, and that Martinez was able to bring on a more attacking player, Naismith.

I am interested to know exactly why fans think that Martinez outwitted Mourinho with his team selection. Which was more significant - his initial choice of three defensive midfielders or his decision to replace Besic so early in the game with Naismith? Did our play change, or was the original plan to create opportunities for Besic to score?

The answer is pretty clear to me.

It's about opinions - we'll all agree on that.
I'd also wager that a majority who were there yesterday don't agree with your opinion on RM's tactics. For what it's worth, in the 8-9 mins that Besic was on the pitch he spent more time in our attacking third than he did in our defensive third. Ultimately, I thought his plan was to have McCarthy further forward like he did a few times last season and have Besic and Barry holding deeper......it confirms why we are forum dwellers whilst Roberto is the manager of Everton......in real life, not FIFA.

People forget last season we went for it against Chelsea, and we all know what happened.

Today we had the 3 midfielders in place leaving the 3 attacking players to concentrate on attacking.

When Besic went off I think the decision to bring on Naismith ahead of a winger was the brave decision and needs to be applauded

As ever some people will not give RM any plaudits

That's not quite right. Last season we lost to Chelsea because we gave away two early goals. It was only after that, that we went for it. And that was why we lost 3-6 instead of 0-2.

Not many fans applauded the decision to field three defensive midfielders yesterday. I imagine that most fans were hoping for a rather more attacking line-up. Do you think we would have won 3-1 if we had persevered with all three defensive midfielders? As fortune would have it, we had to make a change.

The bench yesterday contained Robles, a new defender, two midfield players, and three right wingers. Replacing Besic with Naismith was a good move. But Naismith played out on the right. How do you know that the introduction of Lennon - or Deulofeu or Mirallas - wouldn't have been just as - or even more - successful?

That's not quite right. Last season we lost to Chelsea because we gave away two early goals. It was only after that, that we went for it. And that was why we lost 3-6 instead of 0-2.

Not many fans applauded the decision to field three defensive midfielders yesterday. I imagine that most fans were hoping for a rather more attacking line-up. Do you think we would have won 3-1 if we had persevered with all three defensive midfielders? As fortune would have it, we had to make a change.

The bench yesterday contained Robles, a new defender, two midfield players, and three right wingers. Replacing Besic with Naismith was a good move. But Naismith played out on the right. How do you know that the introduction of Lennon - or Deulofeu or Mirallas - wouldn't have been just as - or even more - successful?
All I know is he made a brave decision and it paid off, and he needs to be applauded for it.
There will be occasions for you to moan at him, today isn't one of them.

Did Pedro or Hazard have a sniff today ? No. Was that the plan ? Yes.

We beat the Champions 3-1, yet people still find sticks to beat him with. SMH.

It was a great win! But some fans have claimed that Martinez outwitted Mourinho tactically. Can they explain exactly how our plan was intended to work? And how it actually worked on the day?

How did we negate the threat of Pedro and Hazard? How did we create chances in front of goal? The play wasn't all one way. Chelsea had 61% possession and won 14 corners.

His team selections have been bizarre to say the least. If we would HAVE lost that would of been the first thing disected

But we didn't, ffs some people are never happy. We are doing better than most of us expected, the guy can't win with some.(and yes I wanted him gone end of last season)

All I know is he made a brave decision and it paid off, and he needs to be applauded for it.
There will be occasions for you to moan at him, today isn't one of them.

It was a great win. And I'm not moaning about the substitution!

But if you think that Roberto was brave to bring on Naismith, do you think that he was cautious to select three defensive midfielders in the starting eleven?

Can you explain the tactical thinking behind the starting eleven, and exactly how such a brave substitution affected the pattern of the play.

Or was the way we played the fortunate result of a forced substitution?

Why are we picking holes in a 3-1 win?

Yes we didn't start any wingers, but that meant we packed the centre of midfield so they couldn't play through us. Also, in regards to Besic, he first hurt himself bursting into the box and eventually decided he couldn't continue after making another break into the box. It's a bit simplistic to keep saying 'we started 3 defensive midfielders derp'... Besic was obviously not going to be sitting back and defending based on his start. Ok, he most probably wouldn't have brought the goal threat Naismith does, but he was getting forward.

We won and won well. Enjoy it.

It was a great win. And I'm not moaning about the substitution!

But if you think that Roberto was brave to bring on Naismith, do you think that he was cautious to select three defensive midfielders in the starting eleven?

Can you explain the tactical thinking behind the starting eleven, and exactly how such a brave substitution affected the pattern of the play.

Or was the way we played the fortunate result of a forced substitution?
I think the game plan was to keep it tight and subdue which on paper is a very attacking team, and also make sure we don't make the mistakes of last year.
Besic started off more in an attacking role and was very prominent in the initial stages, so don't think he was a cautious inclusion. In bringing Naismith on I think he went for the same game plan but with a slight more attacking edge.
So no to the cautious approach and no to the fortunate substitution
All in all tactics that worked and need to be appreciated
I think trying to find fault reinforces you dislike for the man - just enjoy the moment as there will be times he gets it completely wrong

It's about opinions - we'll all agree on that.
I'd also wager that a majority who were there yesterday don't agree with your opinion on RM's tactics. For what it's worth, in the 8-9 mins that Besic was on the pitch he spent more time in our attacking third than he did in our defensive third. Ultimately, I thought his plan was to have McCarthy further forward like he did a few times last season and have Besic and Barry holding deeper......it confirms why we are forum dwellers whilst Roberto is the manager of Everton......in real life, not FIFA.

Thank you for this reasoned reply! But I couldn't see any fans around me who welcomed the line-up with three defensive midfielders.

This might have been warranted against the Champions of last season, but Chelsea won't be the Champions of this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back