Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but he did see us dominate a team away from home and create at least 4 clear chances that all should have been put away.

Poor finishing let us down yesterday, not the squad selection. It would have been extremely harsh to bench Naismith and drop Kone give the former's hattrick and the latter's decent form in the opening games.
My Fear with Kone is he is clearly a Martinez favourite and while he has had a decent start, it is only that, decent. Hope he does not stick with him out of pure stubbornness if/when his form drops as the natives will grow very restless with del and Kev scratchin there arses on the bench. Not debating he should be in at the moment just hope he knows when a change is needed.

You're a looney.
Yes wanting a manager who has been praised by almost all in those in football who know him is bonkers. A manager who led his team to almost every major tournament is bonkers. He's beaten Arsenal, Man City and Liverpool away from home. When was the last time we won at Anfield or Arsenal? Yes I must be bonkers to prefer a manager who has largely succeeded in taking his teams on to better things in every job he's worked in. Moyes didn't win at any of the top 4 in 11 years won 3 during his first season, you have to respect that. Yes West Ham may finish below us, but we have a much better team than them. If Billic go's on fail then I'll quite happily admit that I was wrong, but I can't help feel that we missed out when we didn't bring him to Everton after Moyes left.

If it was the correct one to choose then we should have won.

Correct mate, only Evertonians will see draws or not getting beat as victories, the small club mentality shown by supporters of this club is shamefull, people going on about how great we've been this season and how well it's gone are the reason we'll never achieve anything......

Norwich can go above us if they win today, Arsenal had an awfull start to the season and they're above us, Liverpool have been absolutely [Poor language removed] and they will go above us if they win, Spurs have had the lamest crappest start of all and with the right result they can go above us aswell so could Southampton i think.

It's beyond sad that what our fans think is great is absolutely dire compared to other clubs

Yes wanting a manager who has been praised by almost all in those in football who know him is bonkers. A manager who led his team to almost every major tournament is bonkers. He's beaten Arsenal, Man City and Liverpool away from home. When was the last time we won at Anfield or Arsenal? Yes I must be bonkers to prefer a manager who has largely succeeded in taking his teams on to better things in every job he's worked in. Moyes didn't win at any of the top 4 in 11 years won 3 during his first season, you have to respect that. Yes West Ham may finish below us, but we have a much better team than them. If Billic go's on fail then I'll quite happily admit that I was wrong, but I can't help feel that we missed out when we didn't bring him to Everton after Moyes left.

All correct. Apart from calling Liberpewl a top 4 club. :blush:

Correct mate, only Evertonians will see draws or not getting beat as victories, the small club mentality shown by supporters of this club is shamefull, people going on about how great we've been this season and how well it's gone are the reason we'll never achieve anything......

Norwich can go above us if they win today, Arsenal had an awfull start to the season and they're above us, Liverpool have been absolutely [Poor language removed] and they will go above us if they win, Spurs have had the lamest crappest start of all and with the right result they can go above us aswell so could Southampton i think.

It's beyond sad that what our fans think is great is absolutely dire compared to other clubs

All them teams have had much easier starts than us, in terms of fixtures.

Let's see how bilic is shaping up in a year or two as Martinez had a half decent first season too. He has never managed in this division so will take managers a while to suss him out whereas everyone new about Bobby from Wigan. If he is still doing it next year when he had had to adapt fair one but this is awfully knee jerk after a few good wins for bilic. And they got absolutely peppered yesterday and 9/10 would not have won its not like they played city off the park.

The solid start to the season continues. It was poor finishing that let us down yesterday rather than tactical issues.

We've played 1st and 2nd from last year as well as 3 of last years top 8 away from home. We've come away from that with an average of 1.5 points per game which would get you 8th place plus in the last few seasons if maintained. If we can keep ourselves in the hat for the cup and get a tough win at West Brom this will be a very good week.

Bang average in my eyes

Sherwood has passion too mate...

We've only drew away to Swansea mate ffs. GET BILIC IN NOW!

Maybe you really have always been a Bilic fan and have always thought you'd rather have him over Martinez, but I swear these posts only pop up when we don't win.
I'm not saying that we should bring him in. Yes it wasn't a bad result' I'm just merely wondering whether we would have been better getting him in than Martinez after Moyes left. Who know's that the future holds, Liverpool fans went from viewing Rodgers as wonderful in the 2013/2014 season. A year later they were flooding in the phone in's talking about how useless he is. Arsene Wenger has gone from being a hero to zero in less than a week. At the start of the season they were talking about winning the league, now on their forums they are talking about struggling to get into the top 4. I think Martinez is a good manager, I think he would probably be a great manager in the Spanish league or in Italy. In Spain the style of football you play is more important that the results, that's why Mourniho was never very popular at Real Madrid. My view is that I still think Martinez struggles with a plan B. If you look at our greatest performances under Martinez they were games against teams that play a similar style of football to us, we struggle against teams that sit back and invite us to attack them.

My Fear with Kone is he is clearly a Martinez favourite and while he has had a decent start, it is only that, decent. Hope he does not stick with him out of pure stubbornness if/when his form drops as the natives will grow very restless with del and Kev scratchin there arses on the bench. Not debating he should be in at the moment just hope he knows when a change is needed.

....it's a long old season, I reckon Deulofeu in particular will eventually secure a starting place. Remember that in his first spell he only really came into things mid-season and it might well be similar this time around. Cream rises.

All them teams have had much easier starts than us, in terms of fixtures.

No they haven't, any team can perform either good or bad on any given day, what is on paper is only on paper, reality changes all the time, like someone mentioned before we've played the top 2 from last year but them teams didn't play at the same level against us as they did last season (especially Chelsea) just like City didn't play as good yesterday against West Ham, things change all the time, we could be in a mediocre position in the league by the end of the day, that's the reality

It would have been ruthless yes, but correct....
Would have been ruthless but incorrect in my eyes. The team yesterday still dominated the game, particularly in the second half going forward and created plenty of chances whilst staying very solid at the back despite 3 out of our 4 defenders being u21.
One of Kone, Naismith or Lukaku bag from 6 yards as they should have and we go away with all three well deserved points.
Swansea aren't a bad team by any stretch of the imagination and we dominated them at their ground and were unlucky not to win.

No they haven't, any team can perform either good or bad on any given day, what is on paper is only on paper, reality changes all the time, like someone mentioned before we've played the top 2 from last year but them teams didn't play at the same level against us as they did last season (especially Chelsea) just like City didn't play as good yesterday against West Ham, things change all the time, we could be in a mediocre position in the league by the end of the day, that's the reality

Ahh, such optimism. We "could be in a mediocre position."

Okay mate. We're 3 points off second place at the moment. At worst it will be 4 points at the end of today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back