Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see cleverlley given a couple of games in barry’s place, as well as barry played this season gonna be a point when he could do with a rest so would benefit him anyway, yeah its a bit further back then you think when talking cleverlley but i really think that he could fit into that role in the long run, he’s def got the ability to start the play off from that position or keep it flowing, thats prob the one weakness with mcarthy +barry neither of them have really got a football brain like that

Leicester have lost a sodding game yet mate.

That's about to change today. It's judged since the last one was handed out: we've had a win against Chelsea, draw away to Swansea, beat Reading. If we beat West Brom and win the derby it's going to be some effort from another manager to deny RM the award.

Oh well then,
there we are then,
that's that then,
deader than a dodo then, davek has pronounced.
The oracle at Delphi's quaking in it's boots at the very prospect of the imminent P45
Mystic meg's off to smash the crystal ball as we speak
and where ever Nostradamus is buried he's stopped turning in his grave to doff his cap
*runs off to google a stone mason who will carve it on a couple of blocks of best Aberdeen granite

don't sit on the fence mate, commit yourself.

never mind the 4 'ifs' and a 'could' that qualified my opinion. not to mention the implied 'may' and the 6, 7, 8 year time gap
It's my opinion, not a pronouncement.

What an odd response.

Yeah, I agree. He had Gomez at Swansea/Wigan drifting in from wide and in between lines for that and I think he envisioned Eto'o could do that here last season.

I just dont think Deulofeu has that in his game. To me he likes the outside berth and cuts inside only to get shots off. He can set people up from out wide but I think he prefers going by opponents rather than laying it off.

It's exactly why he was after Yarmolenko mate, basically is exactly how he plays, same for Mertens on the the side, so it's definitely something we will see targeted again and again until he gets that type of player as it's not just some fad of his but a integral part of the system he likes to use - could argue he has made do this season with Kone doing a grade D version of this on the right

Martínez says side have shown Champions League potential

"“We don’t need to rely on other teams,” said the Everton manager. “We rely on how good we can be and how quickly we can get to that level. The Southampton performance and the Chelsea performance – that’s the level that is needed to get into the Champions League. If you can do that every week you’re going to have a great chance to get over 70 points.

“How many points are going to be needed this season? It’s hard to tell but I think it’ll be such a close season. You look at the points West Ham have got away from home and Crystal Palace’s form. There are many teams who are going to take a lot of points from the so-called top four. That makes me think 70 points will get you into the top positions.

“It is about consistency. It is down to us being as consistent as we can be in every game. It is not about looking elsewhere or what is happening with the investment in other teams. I’m excited. I’m starting to see signs of a very competitive squad and hopefully we can develop that for the next eight months.”

Gordon Lee won the award on the day Andy King scored 'that goal'. Just saying.

I didn't know that :)

In fact, I didn't even think they had those awards back then :(

In more recent times though, it seems to me every time our manager has been presented with an award on the pitch prior to a game we have failed to win :(

Martínez says side have shown Champions League potential

"“We don’t need to rely on other teams,” said the Everton manager. “We rely on how good we can be and how quickly we can get to that level. The Southampton performance and the Chelsea performance – that’s the level that is needed to get into the Champions League. If you can do that every week you’re going to have a great chance to get over 70 points.

“How many points are going to be needed this season? It’s hard to tell but I think it’ll be such a close season. You look at the points West Ham have got away from home and Crystal Palace’s form. There are many teams who are going to take a lot of points from the so-called top four. That makes me think 70 points will get you into the top positions.

“It is about consistency. It is down to us being as consistent as we can be in every game. It is not about looking elsewhere or what is happening with the investment in other teams. I’m excited. I’m starting to see signs of a very competitive squad and hopefully we can develop that for the next eight months.”

The biggest issue, as recently mentioned, is that games can be split into two sections - teams who give us space and teams who defend. We've shown we can beat two of the 5 or so teams who give us space, but the other 15 or so teams (30 games) who will defend solidly is where this season will be made or broken for us, and we need to properly show on Monday night that we've improved in that regard.

If you want to be a top team, a point away at a 'tough place to go' like west brom isn't good enough

It's exactly why he was after Yarmolenko mate, basically is exactly how he plays, same for Mertens on the the side, so it's definitely something we will see targeted again and again until he gets that type of player as it's not just some fad of his but a integral part of the system he likes to use - could argue he has made do this season with Kone doing a grade D version of this on the right
I'm amazed that window went by without that player brought in. I know we all wanted Yarmolenko, and it must have been tantalisingly close to stay in the hunt so long for him, but to me if he was the primary target then we needed to switch quickly to secondary targets as soon as it all started to look doubtful.

Maybe January will see some movement? MAYBE.

Cant see 4th, tbh. Top 6 and a run to a cup final would be very acceptable though.

united have scraped there way through so far and they look like they're building a bit of momentum - but they have had a fairly easy start to the season. but still, they haven't been great imo. the top 3 spots will sort themselves when arsenal finally click. today might be that day.

I'm amazed that window went by without that player brought in. I know we all wanted Yarmolenko, and it must have been tantalisingly close to stay in the hunt so long for him, but to me if he was the primary target then we needed to switch quickly to secondary targets as soon as it all started to look doubtful.

Maybe January will see some movement? MAYBE.

Think end of the day mate that he only wanted to bring in of top quality that would instantly improve the starting 11, maybe no one else he wanted was available this window at the right price...

Whilst we never should have left that transfer window without a lock picking type of player, I think movement is better this season from players in the final third and that could be a difference between this and last season. Cleverley in particular is a dynamic presence that worries well set defences, and he cant get back in there quickly enough for us. Also Deulofeu is a creative force we didn't have last season and that outlet will be key to commit organised defences to panic a bit and shift out of their comfort zones. Added to Barkley's increasing confidence in the last third and the general level of fitness and proper preparation time we have for each game being out of Europe, I dont think we'll see a replica season to the last one. Although every effort should be made in January to get a playmaker in.

I agree with some of that, i think for the reasons you mention, we will be better than last season but not by much, for me Deulofeu is the saving grace but it's Martinez' system without the lock picker that is the problem, i didn't think he would buy one during the summer and i would bet almost anything that he doesn't get one in January either, think about it, he's not going to change Barry or McCarthy out of their spots, he's not going to drop Barkley unless he forgets how to play football, when Cleverley comes back he's going to have a place in the starting 11, that leaves 1 more place and i think we'd all love to see Deulofeu being a regular, so i'm not sure results are going to get all that much better than what they have been because a well organized team just always seem capable of getting a point against us and let us not forget when Lukaku's having an off month it's like we're playing with 10 men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back