Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to Roberto lifting one of these in a week's time - after he seals it with the win over the KKKult.

motm-trophy-200x120.jpg

Congratulations you little Catalan Wizard.

http://www.therussianlinesman.com/b...true-value-of-roberto-martinezs-youth-policy/
Some supporters suggest it’s unfair to play Galloway ‘out of position’ at left-back, but this overlooks the bigger picture. Perhaps it was a reactionary selection given the extensive list of left-back injuries Everton have had recently, but it’s clearly a logical step in his development, as set out this summer by Martinez: “Brendan is ready to play left-back. After 50 games he could play centre-half”. There is a clear developmental path: League One (CB) > U-21 Development League (CB) > Premier League (LB) > Premier League (CB). Make a few minor adjustments and this also describes Stones’ route to first team football. With a bit of luck, the same will be true of Mason Holgate. Under Martinez, it’s fast becoming the Everton way.

Whenever Galloway finally plays centre-back for Everton, he’ll do so with the unanimous backing of the crowd: essentially, he’s proven himself before being given a proper chance. Ideally, he’ll form a great partnership with Stones but in modern, vulgarly capitalist football, hope is a foolish pursuit. This however is Martinez’s true value: the ability to adequately prepare for the future.

Martinez was quick off the mark with Stones, offering an improved, long-term deal at the end of his first full year, which became crucial in resisting Chelsea’s advances. A mere month into this season saw him upgrade his proactivity by vowing to reward Galloway similarly. Stones’ eventual exit seems inevitable but in Galloway, Martinez has effectively replaced him before he’s departed. With Holgate now tracing their footsteps for the U-21s, Everton have potentially secured three cycles of ball-playing English centre-back for £8m and created an environment for them to play regular football and keep progressing. This is exactly the sort of transfer policy a club like Everton requires.

http://www.therussianlinesman.com/b...true-value-of-roberto-martinezs-youth-policy/
Some supporters suggest it’s unfair to play Galloway ‘out of position’ at left-back, but this overlooks the bigger picture. Perhaps it was a reactionary selection given the extensive list of left-back injuries Everton have had recently, but it’s clearly a logical step in his development, as set out this summer by Martinez: “Brendan is ready to play left-back. After 50 games he could play centre-half”. There is a clear developmental path: League One (CB) > U-21 Development League (CB) > Premier League (LB) > Premier League (CB). Make a few minor adjustments and this also describes Stones’ route to first team football. With a bit of luck, the same will be true of Mason Holgate. Under Martinez, it’s fast becoming the Everton way.

Whenever Galloway finally plays centre-back for Everton, he’ll do so with the unanimous backing of the crowd: essentially, he’s proven himself before being given a proper chance. Ideally, he’ll form a great partnership with Stones but in modern, vulgarly capitalist football, hope is a foolish pursuit. This however is Martinez’s true value: the ability to adequately prepare for the future.

Martinez was quick off the mark with Stones, offering an improved, long-term deal at the end of his first full year, which became crucial in resisting Chelsea’s advances. A mere month into this season saw him upgrade his proactivity by vowing to reward Galloway similarly. Stones’ eventual exit seems inevitable but in Galloway, Martinez has effectively replaced him before he’s departed. With Holgate now tracing their footsteps for the U-21s, Everton have potentially secured three cycles of ball-playing English centre-back for £8m and created an environment for them to play regular football and keep progressing. This is exactly the sort of transfer policy a club like Everton requires.
My point has always been the same over RM, and that is he is trying to build for the future.
We have youth coming through like we have never seen before, more importantly they are being given a chance.
RM is securing players on long term contracts an dismissing offers for these players with simple No's.
We are trying to play attractive football with using the ball being the prime objective, simply how the game should be played.
I find it strange how people cannot see this and want quick wins without any thought of the future

He has my backing 100%

I don't think anyone doubted Martinez had a plan for the club. However when things weren't going well last season some doubted that we could play the way he wanted and be successful. Now things seem to be falling into place I am very glad the club didn't go with the knee jerk reaction and sack him.
Now win 5-0 this weekend, finish in top 8 and win a cup this season. That will do for this season.

I hope he sets a precedent for future Derbies and big games by instructing them to go out tomorrow with no fear.

I don't wan to discuss the previous manager but one thing that really gave me the hump was the craven fear with which we approached these games. Come on Bobby let's have no fear.

I don't think anyone doubted Martinez had a plan for the club. However when things weren't going well last season some doubted that we could play the way he wanted and be successful. Now things seem to be falling into place I am very glad the club didn't go with the knee jerk reaction and sack him.
Now win 5-0 this weekend, finish in top 8 and win a cup this season. That will do for this season.

i'd be gutted if we finish that low tbh ... not if we win a cup like. but we're better than 8th.

Anyone else reckon we can win the title?

Man C and Chelsea are no great shakes.....

Remember how the RS went on a title challenge a couple of years ago? I expect us to be a surprise package like that and completely ruin the balance. And lose by 2 points. On the last day. Holding a 3-0 lead. And drawing 3-3.

Anyone else reckon we can win the title?

Man C and Chelsea are no great shakes.....

Been secretly thinking along those lines mate. Felt a bit daft if I am honest.

But. Are there 4 better sides, with the potential we have, than us? Dont think so.

Are there 3? Probably

Can we beat 2 of those 3? Certainly.

Sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back