Roberto Martinez Shenanigans: All Reaction Here

How do you feel about the Roberto Martinez hiring?

• Great hire. He'll do better than Moyes.

Votes: 65 18.4%
  • Good hire. There were better available.

Votes: 116 32.9%
  • Meh

Votes: 59 16.7%
  • Wasn't the worst. Wasn't the best.

Votes: 96 27.2%
  • We're getting relegated.

Votes: 17 4.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say credentials, you did mate.

Excitement: Big Dunc
Upside: Solskjaer
Airbrushed on pants: Pereira

Martinez is none of these. The entirety of Martinez' excitement is seeing whether he can dodge relegation in the last 3 weeks of the season after hemhorraging goals all season. He has no upside at all and he's been in England too long to take a fancy to stretchy suits.

My point is I just don't know what Solskjaer has done to warrant the job more than Martinez and Ferguson would just be a nostalgic appointment that would be a backward step for the club. Surely as Evertonians, Martinez deserves our backing before we all start slating him and comparing him to managers that may or may not have been on our radar....

A few things:

1) Big Dunc? What has he done to prove he'd be a good manager? What has he done to prove he wouldn't?

2) Solskjaer? He's not as good as people make out, and he's older than Martinez. Difference of opinion here.

3) Pereira has no experience at club management (he is technically just the head coach at Porto), he has no experience of buying and selling players on a shoestring, and up until last week 99% of people on here had never heard of the fella. I'm only talking about the cut of his trousers, mate.

In Martinez, we're getting a manager similar to Moyes in the way he runs the club, we're getting a manager who will represent us well and most importantly a manager who will be able to work with the limited cash we have.
It sounds as if you're in favor of settling. Settling = years of mid table finishes.

Martinez would be best suited with some mid table Spanish side - Real Sociedad sounds perfect.

Paul Jewell managed a higher finish and beat the drop. Steve Bruce had the side flirting with the top half.

Is a good point - Wigan were better before Martinez...

http://www.wiganlatics.co.uk/club/history/history-finishingpositions.aspx

He was lucky in his debut season, finishing the league with the exact same return (W9/D9/L20) as his most recent

Howard
Distin Jagielka Heitinga
Coleman---------------Baines
Fellaini Gibson
Mirallas------------Pienaar
Jelavic​

Add a couple of centre halfs, maybe another winger and obviously a good striker and we'll avoid relegation hopefully.

Jurgen Klopp relegated Mainz in 2007.

He just managed in the Champions League Final.

End of the day we need to give the guy a chance, he has shown he can attack ther big boys and play good football, he would be able to attract a better calibre of player and like what has been said he has good links in spain and south america so a good chance of bringing in 1 or 2 good bargains,

my only issue like has been said is his defending, but having had his defense issues pointen out in the media, maybe he can learn from his mistakes and look towards strengthing the area more?

all in all not the best but has the potential to have us still challenging for the top

'Could be worse' can replace nsno, seems to be the new mantra. Should be better, should be after the best out there, which imho Bobby Martini doesn't reach by a country mile. Again, just my humble opinion, but he suits the new badge, it is what Everton seem to have rebranded themselves as a level. The rest of the premier league would be cacking themselves as we become a powerhouse once more...if it is Bobby, completely underwhelmed

This - what an ironic time to remove nsno from the badge; we have now lowered our ambition once again; if appointed will Martinez stand up to BK, will he say we played good football after a defeat? will we continue to roll over against the RS ? will he get angry if we do ? I will always support the shirt (even with that feckin' badge) but a new manager has to earn respect We are so relieved on here at not having Weir, Stubbs, et all that our motto is indeed "could be worse" Very sad...........:(

It sounds as if you're in favor of settling. Settling = years of mid table finishes.

Martinez would be best suited with some mid table Spanish side - Real Sociedad sounds perfect.

Well dodged. You're not going to answer any of those questions?

And I'm not in favour of settling at all, I'd love us to be able to go and get a top coach from a big club, but unfortunately, I live in the real world.

SO we've got the man who is going to take us to the next level, from a top 6 side into a top 4 side. He has a proven track record of that doesn't he, having just relegated a side.

And before anyone pipes up with the "budget" nonsense, he has spent the same as we have in the last 4 years. Also, our current wage bill is closer to Wigans than it is to the side one above us (spurs) and significantloy closer to Wigans than to liverpools. If he couldn't manager to get Wigan into the top half with a comparable budget to Evertons, I really struggle to see how we will improve on 6th.
Lets hope we have a lot of opt outs in this contract. Anything below 7th and we're going to need to chop him, as that simply is not acceptable.

I am amazed at how low some fans expectations have sunk. Nothing satisfies but the best hey? Unless you get relegated that is.

Got to say, I've wanted Martinez as soon as Moyes was off. Of course no deal is done yet, but it's now looking likely.
For those who are not convinced by him due to him overseeing a struggling team for the past 4 years, I think there needs to be a sense of reality here. Wigan have never been able to attract the calibre of player we can. Wigan's weakness all along has been their defence. As someone has already said, this can be worked on and bearing in mind we already have a relatively solid back 4, this doesn't concern me.
Wigan's strength under Martinez has always been that they play good football and are exciting to watch. Now this past season under Moyes (Particularly before xmas) we were very excting to watch. I believe Martinez can really build on this and make us more exciting next season. Granted, under a new manager it could go either way - brilliantly right or horribly wrong. I am quietly confident in envisaging the former.

Least we can get this song going again!!

Follow Follow Follow
Evertons the team to follow
.....:..:..............................
Roberto Martinez
Hes a the best little Spaniard we know

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back